Thread: Striped set screw in the flex coupler

Default Striped set screw in the flex coupler

Hello all,

I want to start out saying this boat is a blast and with a little work anyone have a great boat for a spec racing or a fun boat!!!!!

I do have a problem though; the set screw that holds the flex coupler is striped. I have tried using a craftsman extractor with no luck. I simply want to get this thing off and I am not too concerned with saving the flex hex itself. My first thought is to use a dremel cut off wheel and cut into the set screw until it gives away. Does anyone have another suggestion?

Thanks
    Mike

drill it out

I am finding out, the set screw is very hard and the drill bit dosn't want to "drill"

....plastic explosives??.....
    saleens7, the wookie of rc boating

Mine did exactly the same thing. I started drilling it out, but it won't penetrate. needless to say, it's still "stuck" on my stock motor.
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

use a titainium bit-worked for me.:p

Yes a titanium bit and drill press at low speed should work if you don't have them around you can also use a dremmel with a cut off wheel and cut the flex hex on the same flat as the set screw along the flat spot on the motor shaft. Try to cover the motor bearings and mounting screw holes with masking tape first to keep cut off and grinding dust out of the motor. After you have the flex hex off, blow the motor clean before removing the tape to prevent the motor magnets from gathering metal shavings.

Roostertail,

Thanks for the reply, this was the type of answer I was looking for.

Best regards,
    Mike

Default drill

same thing happened to me on 2 SV's. i tried to drill them out also with no luck. so i just cut it off with a dremel cutting wheel.