Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 49.9mph Using M440 Octura

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    Awesome!
    It this what usualy goes on the esc? or causes it to fail?
    and can you add extra on a good working esc?
    Yes, Yes, and Yes

Awesome! Great! Thank you!

Today I tried my Hyperion G3 35c 4s 3300mah (4s2p) in my UL-1. The added weight and more forward arrangement of these batteries made the boat more stable crossing wakes. Speeds also appeared faster (no room for my GPS). Motor/ESC temps were about the same as before, but the new batteries were slightly cooler in upper 90's. I checked the temperature of my newly replaced Rubycon 1500uf Capacitor and it was 195 degrees... WOW capacitors can get really hot. I can see why the stock UL-1's smaller 680uf capacitor goes bad so easily. Adding one more should make them run a little cooler.

Ten Rubycon capacitors in picture were $12.71 shipped to my door. Thanks Longballlumber!
    http://www.newark.com/rubycon/25zlh1...questid=246709
    Last edited by detox; 05-14-2009 at 02:47 PM.

Thanks for the update detox.. let us know your speed when you get your gps back in that boat..

Thanks for the update detox.. let us know your speed when you get your gps back in that boat..
    me no fit gps

If you think about it get some temps on deans connectors too. I'm only running 2s 5250 30c and mine were @150 degrees.

Crash

You can put the GPS aft.

Quote Originally Posted by detox View Post
    me no fit gps

can you put it in the back of the boat?

Like this!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I guess I could mount GPS at rear, me forget.

Running 4s 2p 6600mah seems easier on the Dean's connectors than running 4s1p 5000mah.

Thanks Longballlumber!
    No Problem, it's a small price to pay for a little extra protection with very little risk invlolved.

Mike

Detox, Whats your run time on 4s2p???
    LMT
    LehnerMotorenTechnik.com

I try not to run them down to LVC because boat will stutter bump then suddenly stall on water. Then I will have to wade for it. But 6600mah should run longer than 5000mah...plenty long enough for me.

Default Just to help clarify

The UL-1 Speedo has a SB (Stutter Bump) system as well as a LVC (Low Voltage Cutoff).. The UL-1 SB comes in at 12V and the LVC at 11.6. Just so you know we did not pick those numbers out of a hat.. We have tons of data regarding lipo discharge and also qualified our finding with some of the fastest FE RC boaters in the world.. True!

From our testing we have found about 15 to 25 second from SB to LVC.. more then enough time to get the boat back to shore.

Haivng said that there is certanly NOTHING wrong with only using part of the MAH the batts provide..

Hope this helps

Grim

Cool Info...I will test the Stutter Bump and LVC again this evening.

I've hit the speed bump a couple times and was able to get her to shore before she cut out.

I'm still curious about those dean temps.

I will check the Deans temps this evening also.

OK I am back from the pond. It was 5:00PM when I ran UL-1 so the winds were still blowing and water had more chop than I like for speed runs. Second run lake was more calm than first run.

First Run Using the HEAVIER 4s2p 6600 mah combo. The heavier weight help UL -1 handled a little better
    49.1mph max speed
    Close to 5 minute runtime
    Dean's temps 159-161 degrees
    Battery temps 131 degrees
    motor 119 degrees
    esc 121 degrees

Second Run Using the LIGHTER 4s1p 5000mah combo. The lighter weight caused propeller to jump in and out of water causing wide voltage spikes. Thus popping a another cap. Or maybe cap was still too hot from the first run building even more heat then popping the brown capacitor fluid inside hull.
    49.6mph max speed
    3 minutes (popped a cap?)
    Bullets...did not record temp

Stutter and LVC test: Again the boat stuttered then died very quickly so I had to wade to retrieve it. Second run I popped another cap so boat just died on water, but would rearm to bring back to shore. I will try two caps next time...Two caps should run cooler.

Here are pictures...I will try to get video one day
    Last edited by detox; 05-14-2009 at 07:44 PM.

Some of those temps are pushing it....bad on battery! Good info..thanks!

Were you using the M440?

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Crash View Post
    Were you using the M440?
    No...I was using the Grimracer L40 x 57/3

In this UL-1 I have seen battery temps reach 170 using new Flightpower batteries. These G3 batteries run cooler.

Last edited by detox; 05-15-2009 at 10:10 PM.

EDIT: Next I will try to get the most out of the UL-1 by using different prop angles, prop depths, and props. Lead ballast also.

Last edited by detox; 05-14-2009 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimracer View Post
    The UL-1 Speedo has a SB (Stutter Bump) system as well as a LVC (Low Voltage Cutoff).. The UL-1 SB comes in at 12V and the LVC at 11.6. Just so you know we did not pick those numbers out of a hat.. We have tons of data regarding lipo discharge and also qualified our finding with some of the fastest FE RC boaters in the world.. True!

From our testing we have found about 15 to 25 second from SB to LVC.. more then enough time to get the boat back to shore.

Haivng said that there is certanly NOTHING wrong with only using part of the MAH the batts provide..

Hope this helps

Grim
    Today my SB came in and 3 seconds later it stopped, but was very close to shore

I love this boat!

Cool

Some of those temps are pushing it....bad on battery!
    Not really, good cells can handle 140F+ without damage - the internal resistance is lower at high temps. Over 160F is where good cells can start to go bad, although I prefer not to exceed 140F-145F personally. Heating the cells before running - or running them at an ambient of ~100F - is easier on the cells.

Today my SB came in and 3 seconds later it stopped, but was very close to shore

I love this boat!
    My LVC came on MUCH SOONER than 15 - 25 seconds...more like 3 seconds after Stutter Bump. But I still love the UL-1

I ran mine today and @ 2min 53 sec with y537/3 boat stopped and then started back up. The hottest thing was the motor at about 125 degrees. What could this be?
    here is vid
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Xnqdq8NkyM
    It looks like I stopped but it just so happened to be coming towards me when it happened.

you might be over propped. Next run change it up with a new prop, see if you get the same results.

I'll go with the y437/3 thanks.

Could have been the Studder Bump Grim was talking about or...

Today after running my boat I noticed 4mm banana plugs (female esc side) started to become unsoldered. If these wires seperate boat will briefly stop then restart. I will soon switch to beefier Castle 5.5 bullets. These beefier versions will not get as hot as the CHEAP factory versions .

I think maybe the heavier weight and longer runtime using 4s2p caused this
    Last edited by detox; 05-14-2009 at 11:08 PM.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that when I put my batteries on the charger they were at 15.6 volts. I will try new connectors and 437/3 prop.

Could have been the Studder Bump Grim was talking about or...

Today after running my boat I noticed 4mm banana plugs (female esc side) started to become unsoldered. If these wires seperate boat will briefly stop then restart. I will soon switch to beefier Castle 5.5 bullets. These beefier versions will not get as hot as the CHEAP factory versions .
    Jay Turner runs 5.5 bullets on his UL-1, he said you might see a speed increase as well when switching to the larger bullet connectors.

Quote Originally Posted by jingalls007 View Post
    Jay Turner runs 5.5 bullets on his UL-1, he said you might see a speed increase as well when switching to the larger bullet connectors.
    More speed with bigger connectors, cool!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast