Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UL-1 Eagle Tree data with Grimracer L40x57 3 blade prop

Default UL-1 Eagle Tree data with Grimracer L40x57 3 blade prop

I managed to squeeze 3 runs in with my new Grimracer L40x57 3 blade prop.

Initial thoughts on the prop are…
    ----------------------
    1. It runs very consistent laps of 45-42mph with much lower average amp draw than the Octura m445 and the stock prop. For reference, the m445 and stock prop data can be found in this thread: Link

2. It is much more difficult to get up on plane than the stock prop and the m445. I found it best to hand launch start with this prop.

3. It took MUCH more file work to get the prop balanced, thinned, and sharpened.

Below is the Eagle Tree data with speed and amp draw for my most consistent heat run.

I will post the fastest run data (47mph) in the next post.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Run #2

This is the fastest run so far with the L40x57.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDuc View Post
    This is the fastest run so far with the L40x57.
    I think you may want to stick with the other prop... looks like this one was faster in the straights, but your average speed dropped off quite a bit... Prop isn't getting you off the corners as hard and is dropping off more in the turns, from what I can tell with a quick look at the data...

Gotta LOVE this EagleTree data...
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    Gotta LOVE this EagleTree data...
    What he said. Big Thanks!

Happy to contribute.

Next on the testing block will be the GrimRacer L42 x 66 and the Prather S220.
    The Prather may cook her in normal race setup. .... Good excuse to upgrade the ESC I guess.

**** As a disclaimer I should mention that I'm using an external 6v ParkBEC to take the step down work off the stock ESC.

Happy to contribute.

The Prather may cook her in normal race setup. .... Good excuse to upgrade the ESC I guess.

**** As a disclaimer I should mention that I'm using an external 6v ParkBEC to take the step down work off the stock ESC.
    WOW... both of those will be alot of prop... I am going to try the L38X55 this weekend for heat racing.

Happy to contribute.

You may have to name your boat, "Smoke On The Water"...

Just keep in mind, guys... the UL1 system is NOT an SV27 or BJ26 system... it will NOT take as much prop as those other two setups... it's working with RPMs as opposed to torque... Take it too far and "Puff"...
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

On the positive side, LuckyDuc is willing to push the equipment to the limit (which all real racers do) and identify the weakest link... Information that some of us would like to see

So far I haven't pushed the power system beyond that of the stock prop setup. Below are the stats for the stock prop.

The L42x66 may be the limit though.... We shall see what happens
    If it does go into melt down I will make sure to dub Smoke on the Water into the video

I should be testing more heat oriented props, but this is more fun

Having fun is the best part!!!! Thanks for sharing all of you data.

There will be no smoke. It will just die on water. Swollen Capacitor.

Quote Originally Posted by detox View Post
    There will be no smoke. It will just die on water. Swollen Capacitor.
    Detox, when you popped a cap, did you replace your ESC with the same one?

Also, can you get inside the stock one?

Quote Originally Posted by Drag Boat Bob View Post
    Detox, when you popped a cap, did you replace your ESC with the same one?

Also, can you get inside the stock one?
    Aquacraft sent me a new esc.

Old damaged Stock ESC in photo has rubber coating on ends of a hollow rectangular cooling jacket.

Aquacraft sent me a new esc.

Old damaged Stock ESC in photo has rubber coating on ends of a hollow rectangular cooling jacket.
    I'm sorry; I meant can you get to the electronic/circuit board components inside the ESC?

I do not think so.

Have you tried the S220 yet?

Not yet. The L42x66 and Prather S220 just arrived yesterday. I'm almost done B/S the L42x66. Then I will start filing on the S220.

LuckyDuc, New batteries will make your UL-1 haul Ace. The Maxamps 2s 30c 5250 packs would be quicker than your older 4s packs.
    http://maxamps.com/categories.php?cat=8

I have these packs and my boat hauls ass on them. I don't have a gps (in the bottom of the lake) but it looks quite a bit faster then most UL-1 videos I see on youtube with 25c lipos. It could be because video makes things look smaller and slower?? Duc, if you can swing a few of these packs you'll be very happy and we'll get to see the difference with your nifty eagle tree data...thing.

I'm only getting 40.4mph with my 5000mah 12c spc packs

Quote Originally Posted by Brushless55 View Post
    I'm only getting 40.4mph with my 5000mah 12c spc packs
    12c?? it's highly suggested to run 20c or better in the UL-1. your in Colorado right? hit me up if your ever down around Wash Park, we can meet up with Jesse J and Camel and runnnnnn the boats.

LuckyDuc, New batteries will make your UL-1 haul Ace. The Maxamps 2s 30c 5250 packs would be quicker than your older 4s packs.
    http://maxamps.com/categories.php?cat=8

I'll have to give those packs a try. I just hate buying lipo packs that I can only use in one vehicle.

I'll have to give those packs a try. I just hate buying lipo packs that I can only use in one vehicle.
    Maxamps also make a 6500mAh pack in the 30c. I have the 5250 30c's and love them. I get 10 minutes of full throttle run time and still have about 7.5 volts left on the pack when i get home. I will try to get a video later today (it's snowing right now but weather changes quick in Colorado as you know) so you can see the difference between the 25c and 30c packs.
    http://www.maxamps.com/products.php?cat=46

What was the purpose of doing this? Do you think this protects your ESC from popping a capacitor?

What was the purpose of doing this? Do you think this protects your ESC from popping a capacitor?
    Most of the built in BECs that you find in ESCs are linear. Linear BECs are not as efficient at stepping down the voltage for the receiver as switching mode BECs. As a result, many ESCs tend to build up excess heat and fail when used with 4S or higher voltage packs. I learned my lesson a few years ago with EDF jets. I now use external switching mode BECs in all of my RC gear that utilizes 4S or higher packs. I haven’t lost an ESC due to BEC failure since.
    Castle Creation makes one, as do other companies. I prefer Dimension Engineering’s ParkBEC. Link

External BECs are cheap insurance

Just got my bec in the mail today and will be putting it on my UL-1 just in case...

Most of the built in BECs that you find in ESCs are linear. Linear BECs are not as efficient at stepping down the voltage for the receiver as switching mode BECs. As a result, many ESCs tend to build up excess heat and fail when used with 4S or higher voltage packs. I learned my lesson a few years ago with EDF jets. I now use external switching mode BECs in all of my RC gear that utilizes 4S or higher packs. I haven’t lost an ESC due to BEC failure since.
    Castle Creation makes one, as do other companies. I prefer Dimension Engineering’s ParkBEC. Link

External BECs are cheap insurance
    Thanks for the explanation.

LuckyDuc,

Does the ESC still provide input voltage to the BEC or are you using and external source?

I found the installation file and figured it out...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast