Thread: Etti 150 w bec

Default Etti 150 w bec

Anybody running the etti 150 with bec? I popped one this weekend in my df33 on the maiden run, it has a neu 1515 1y 4s batts and 447 prop. I was told it should work fine but it blew 2 of the large caps off. I was looking on the etti site and they show both models with and without bec having 2 rows of small caps and 1 large row. Mine has 1 large row and 1 small row, is mine an older style or is the one with bec only supposed to have only 1 row of the small?
    Thanks!
    Kent

Do you have a picture you can upload?
    :::::::::::::::. It's NEVER fast enough! .:::::::::::::::

No sorry I don`t, but this thing only has 3 large caps, well only 1 now, and only 3 small ones. The same set up as mine was running this weekend but he had the non bec and it has 3 large and 6 small caps. He ran several heats with no problems so I`m trying to figure out if that was my problem and I should have the one without bec. Both esc pics are on the ose site so you can see the differance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfoss1 View Post
    Anybody running the etti 150 with bec? I popped one this weekend in my df33 on the maiden run, it has a neu 1515 1y 4s batts and 447 prop. I was told it should work fine but it blew 2 of the large caps off. I was looking on the etti site and they show both models with and without bec having 2 rows of small caps and 1 large row. Mine has 1 large row and 1 small row, is mine an older style or is the one with bec only supposed to have only 1 row of the small?
    Thanks!
    Kent
    You have an old style ESC. I did the same thing, Astec replaced it with a newer version that had an extra set of caps.

Paul

Very good, thats what I was hoping to hear. I guess I should remove my connectors if they will probably replace it with an updated model.

Paul,

I think you were wrong!
    The latest version for 150A with BEC(24V) is only equipped with one row 3 bigger caps (35V 470u)on it!
    The smaller 3 caps are designed for working CPU and other device on pcb, you may notice the smaller cap only can handle 6V max. instead of 35V max..
    Hope you don't mislead other people!

Dee

Dee

Quote Originally Posted by paulwilliams View Post
    You have an old style ESC. I did the same thing, Astec replaced it with a newer version that had an extra set of caps.

Paul
    Last edited by Dee; 04-21-2009 at 06:28 AM.

Dee, is the set up I have in the first post going to work with another 150 with bec when it comes back from repair? I hate to smoke another one. The non bec model has more caps and can handle more amps right? Everything in the boat, including the boat ,is brand new, no rusty bearings or binding in the shaft to cause high amp loading and the cooling system was working perfect. All the experienced guys thought it was because of not enough caps on the esc thats why they like the non bec. An identicle boat to mine ran all day with the non bec model. I`m just trying to get a handle on what will work. Is anyone running my set up with the bec and working?

1. get the ETTI cap board to increase the capacity.
    2. PROP DOWN, m442 or m445 max.

"If the batteries that you used could not handle the amps, it can cause the caps to blow"

I also blew 2 caps off the Etti 150 Bec recently. and this is the most likely cause due to over propping. Batteries used were 25c 6000mah = 25 x 6 = 150amps constant.

What batteries where you running?

"The non bec model has more caps and can handle more amps right?"

There both 150 amp ESC,s so no I don't reckon. But the non Bec model is 2-7 lipo's (cells) and the model with Bec is 2-5 lipo's.
    So more volts not more amps.

But I'll be getting the extra cap board reguardless purely for insurance, well peace of mind.

Definetly prop down though like "jcald" suggested and find out how many amps your setup is drawing with the smaller prop.

Quote Originally Posted by monoman View Post
    "If the batteries that you used could not handle the amps, it can cause the caps to blow"

I also blew 2 caps off the Etti 150 Bec recently. and this is the most likely cause due to over propping. Batteries used were 25c 6000mah = 25 x 6 = 150amps constant.

What batteries where you running?
    I`m running Flight power 25c 5000 mah batts.

Quote Originally Posted by jcald2000 View Post
    1. get the ETTI cap board to increase the capacity.
    2. PROP DOWN, m442 or m445 max.
    Thanks for the reply, I plan to do both.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfoss1 View Post
    Thanks!
    Kent
    447 prop would be too big for that setup i would start with a smaller prop,and your best insurance is to get the extra cap module, i learned the same way i run ABC H5 & H4 or M445

Cheers Adrian

Lads, read some comments on extra caps... reduces ripple current. In most cases remove the BEC connector and supply another power source to the receiver

Douggie

Quote Originally Posted by monoman View Post
    "The non bec model has more caps and can handle more amps right?"

There both 150 amp ESC,s so no I don't reckon. But the non Bec model is 2-7 lipo's (cells) and the model with Bec is 2-5 lipo's.
    So more volts not more amps.

But I'll be getting the extra cap board reguardless purely for insurance, well peace of mind.

Definetly prop down though like "jcald" suggested and find out how many amps your setup is drawing with the smaller prop.
    For the record, the new (shipping 9/09) Etti 150A esc's with bec have the extra caps and one less cooling tune. I haven't run it yet, but the loss of the cooling tube bewilders me. Sdg