Thread: 1st SV, anybody have handling issues?

Default 1st SV, anybody have handling issues?

Well, I probably did this backwards, I have other monos and picked up an SV bone stock. I made 3-4 runs today propping up from 438/3 to X645 to X447 (all chill temps) and speeds just under 40 mph on 4S - good lipos.

I have a question: Are you guys happy with handling of this mono? I did a quick search for handling issues in this forum, and didn't locate anything - please if someone knows the best link, please post.

I am getting the idea this hull is really only meant to go 30-35 mph. It hops on the turns, starts to wobble back and forth at speeds on the straights, even after I boosted the lipos up under the bow - COG probably right at 30%. I will keep moving batts up forward, but this thing is nuts! It does this crazy barrel roll and dives under the water to shoot 3 feet in the air? Is it alive? All this craziness in my little pond without any chop!

How do you guys get this thing under control at the speeds you are pushing these poor hulls?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCiObmOjtEo
    Last edited by Jesse J; 04-19-2009 at 11:47 PM. Reason: added vid

I run 2X7cell 5000mah NIMHs with X645 and I have major bouncing going on. I have ordered better trim tabs as the stock ones either give me prop riding or a really wet and slow run.

So besides Mash and me, nobody has handling problems? Are people going 50 mph on the straights and then dropping off to 20 for the turns?

Do you not run in chop greater than a few inches?

Anyone?........Anyone?........

Looked like it was running pretty well in the video?
    Z
    KBB34" Mono - Fast
    ToySport Triton- Not as fast

Default vids

hey jesse, check out the video links on the PSFEMBC site, here---}http://http://members.tripod.com/psf...ics5/index.htm
    Darin Jordan and the boys got some quick running spec and mod SV's. should give you a indicator of where you are at.
    OPP Racing "Other Peoples Parts!"
    Island Boys Fast Electrics

Cool

The boat needs a few things to be comfortable over 40.

- GrimRacer/ABC 42x55 prop
    - SV27 specific adjustable trim tabs from www.offshoreelectrics.com
    - Port side turn fin - sometimes larger fins help too
    - 6 oz of lead under the motor - may need more, don't be scared!

The above will help a lot in stabilizing the boat. It was designed for NiMH cells and speeds in the 30s, but can be hopped up with little cost. It is a small boat and speeds over 45 or so are a challenge in anything but smooth water. If you want to be happy with 50 mph in a mono, I recommend a 33" minimum. The faster you go the larger the boat should be. Too, the large diameter props (over 42mm) will hurt hull stability, go to 3-blades with the pitch needed and a smaller diameter.

I had my SV out today with the same issue of bouncing alot..

Without changing any trim I put on a S220 and all bouncing stoped, not sure why, but I'm not taking that prop ofF..!

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated. I have since traded this boat, but have passed on the helpful tips to a friend who is setting his up as his first build.

Cheers
    Jesse

I thought about buying an extra pair of adjustable trims an running two on each side lol

That's not such a bad idea... hadn't thought of it.