Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Prop Work

Are you still pretty backed up?I'm looking to have a few props done for the MG.

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    Are you still pretty backed up?I'm looking to have a few props done for the MG.
    Yes, I have customers that have been patiently waiting for quite some time now. I am not taking any new business until I get these folks taken care of.

Chuck
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Cool no rush,I'll keep an eye on the thread.Thanks,Shawn

I know what it means to remove the flashing, to sharpen and polish a prop but what does it mean to detongue and back cut? I've been running rc boats for a while and I sharpen and balance my own props but this question always eludes me.

Just my 2cents worth, check this out.
    http://www.rcprops.com/TechNotes/rcprop_tech_info.htm.

As far as rounding the trailing edge I've haven't seen this in any reserch I've done so far, all I read is to leave the trailing edge square, this helps to throw the water off the prop.
    if you want to change the the rake of the prop then this is done on the trailing edge but still left square.
    JMO.

Detongue means to remove the forward section of the prop. Back cut means to remove a bit of the trailing edge near the hub and taper it to the leading edge. This diagram should help ...

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/inf...er-diagram.php
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Thanks egneg,

If that's so wouldn't detounging the prop reduce the pitch? How would this make the boat go faster? Is this only the case if the motor you are using is having trouble swinging that size of a prop or a prop with that much pitch? If your motor can swing the prop at close to its kv rating for the amount of cells you are using minus the efficiancy loss of the motor is detounging needed? Is back cutting done for the same reason? I'm not trying to say you are wrong but rather want to know before I go detounging or back cutting my props.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by ecoovert View Post
    Thanks egneg,

If that's so wouldn't detounging the prop reduce the pitch? How would this make the boat go faster? Is this only the case if the motor you are using is having trouble swinging that size of a prop or a prop with that much pitch? If your motor can swing the prop at close to its kv rating for the amount of cells you are using minus the efficiancy loss of the motor is detounging needed? Is back cutting done for the same reason? I'm not trying to say you are wrong but rather want to know before I go detounging or back cutting my props.

Thanks again.
    Detongueing adds pitch as this area has the lowest pitch on average. This will help with maximum speed. Pitch is progressive from the tongue to the trailing edge. The tongue being the lowest and the trailing edge being the highest. Back cutting will lower the overall pitch by removing some of the area with the highest pitch. This will help to unload the motor. Hope this helps.

Chuck
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Quote Originally Posted by egneg View Post
    Detongueing adds pitch as this area has the lowest pitch on average. This will help with maximum speed. Pitch is progressive from the tongue to the trailing edge. The tongue being the lowest and the trailing edge being the highest. Back cutting will lower the overall pitch by removing some of the area with the highest pitch. This will help to unload the motor. Hope this helps.

Chuck
    Thanks Chuck,

Thanks for your help.

I sent you a PM about a prop pair last night. let me know
    Land, Sea & Air, A true RC Addict.

Sorry Justin but for the life of me I can't seem to figure out how to read my PMs. I'm still having problems navigating this site.

That post was in regards to a PM I sent egneg about some prop stuff.
    Land, Sea & Air, A true RC Addict.

The info was helpful but what gets me is why they put tongues on props in the first place of this makes a prop slower.

If my education on the subject was correct, tongue is for the lower part of your rpm band, holeshot etc. May even help get you out of a corner faster and from my most recent discovery, detonged props aren't always faster. I lost speed on a twin I did... maybe the size or design of the boat needed that blade area?

Thanks tiqueman, I guess until I get two of the same prop I won't detongue any of my props. I did manage to get around 65mph. with a 4042 prop using a Tacon 4074 2150kv motor on 6s. All I did was balance, sharpen and polish my prop. I think I had the boat well dialed in and did a 600' measured distance from a standing start in 6.5 seconds. Taking the standing start into account I'm sure my max. speed must have been 65mph.

Quote Originally Posted by egneg View Post
    Yes, I have customers that have been patiently waiting for quite some time now. I am not taking any new business until I get these folks taken care of.

Chuck
    Hi Chuck, I am wanting to purchase 2 ABC H5 props S/B. Please contact me with price and approximate delivery date. Thanks BG

Quote Originally Posted by ENCORE MAN View Post
    Hi Chuck, I am wanting to purchase 2 ABC H5 props S/B. Please contact me with price and approximate delivery date. Thanks BG
    PM sent
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

I have a Prather B220 that needs S&B. Can you give me an idea of price? TKS

Guys,
    I just left Chucks house (Egneg) At his request, I am closing his thread. His new employment has taken so much of his free time, that the only way to keep up with the demand is to cut into his sleep time. Those of you that still have orders with him will still have your orders completed, but he can no longer accept any new orders.

Please do not send him PM's asking for prop work.

Thank you Chuck for the years of quality service you've provided us.
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678