Thread: lipo chargers and balancing

Default lipo chargers and balancing

HI Guys

how well are you looking after your lipo's ??

do you keep a log book of how many times you have charged and the Mah your lipo has taken ??

what charger and balancer do you use ?

ever had a serious encounter with a lipo due to over charging/discharge ??

where do you store them and how do you charge them ??

Ive had this 1 set now for about a year and give them continuous use, Ive about 8 sets but this 1 pack/set has given me great service and still is, thing is i cant remember what make or where i got them from as labels have worn off over time but they are still going strong they are 6600 Mah 20c 2 cell i charge them with a thunder power TP-1010C charger and a thunder power TP- 210v balancer a great set up with a broad spectrum of features and safety aspects as you would expect from your lipo charge

IMPORTANT SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS AND WARNINGS:
    You must read and understand the safety instructions and warnings before using or charging your lithium polymer batteries.
    Lithium Polymer batteries are volatile. Failure to read and follow the instructions may result in fire, personal injury and damage to property if charged or used improperly.

warnings and safety guidelines.
    with lithium batteries.
    General Guidelines and Warnings:
    Use specific Lithium Polymer charger only. Do not use a NiMH or Ni-Cd charger - Failure to do so may a cause fire, which may result in personal injury and property damage.

Never charge batteries unattended. When charging Li Po batteries you should always remain in constant observation to monitor the charging process and react to potential problems that may occur.

Some Li Po chargers on the market may have technical deficiencies that may cause it to charge the Li Po batteries incorrectly or at an improper rate. It is your responsibility solely to assure the charger you purchased works properly. Always monitor charging process to assure batteries are being charged properly. Failure to do so may result in fire.

If at any time you witness a battery starting to balloon or swell up, discontinue charging process immediately, disconnect the battery and observe it in a safe place for approximately 15 minutes. This may cause the battery to leak, and the reaction with air may cause the chemicals to ignite, resulting in fire.
    Since delayed chemical reaction can occur, it is best to observe the battery as a safety precaution. Battery observation should occur in a safe area outside of any building or vehicle and away from any combustible material.

Wire lead shorts can cause fire! If you accidentally short the wires, the battery must be placed in a safe area for observation for approximately 15 minutes. Additionally, if a short occurs and contact is made with metal (such as rings on your hand), severe injuries may occur due to the conductibility of electric current.
    A battery can still ignite even after 10 minutes.

In the event of a crash, you must remove battery for observation and place in a safe open area away from any combustible material for approximately 15 minutes.
    If for any reason you need to cut the terminal wires, it will be necessary to cut each wire separately, ensuring the wires to not touch each other or a short may occur, potentially causing a fire.
    To solder a connector: Remove insulating tape of Red wire and solder to positive terminal of a connector, then remove insulating tape of Black wire and solder to the negative terminal of connector. Be careful not to short the wire lead. If you accidentally cause the battery to short, place it in a safe open space and observe the battery for approximately 15 minutes. A battery may swell or even possibly catch fire after a short time.
    Never store or charge battery pack inside your car in extreme temperatures, since extreme temperature could ignite fire.
    Charging Process:
    Never charge batteries unattended.
    Charge in an isolated area, away from other flammable materials.
    Let battery cool down to ambient temperature before charging.
    Do not charge batteries packs in series. Charge each battery pack individually. Failure to do so may result in incorrect battery recognition and charging functions. Overcharging may occur and fire may be the result.
    When selecting the cell count or voltage for charging purposes, select the cell count and voltage as it appears on the battery label. As a safety precaution, please confirm the information printed on the battery is correct.
    Example: The label on a 2-Cell battery pack in series will read – “Charge as 2-Cell (7.4V), or may cause fire” – You must select 2-Cell for charging.
    Example: The label on a 3-Cell battery pack in series will read – “Charge as 3-Cell (11.1V), or may cause fire” – You must select 3-Cell for charging.
    Selecting a cell count other than the one printed on the battery (always confirm label is correct), can cause fire.
    You must check the pack voltage before charging. Do not attempt to charge any pack if open voltage per cell is less than 3.3v

now iam sure we are all aware of these rules but its never a bad thing to be reminded once in a while ..................

safe charging and fast boating you cant go wrong !!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Maxamus

I'm sure that this information will help those that are unaware of all of the precautions to take with the use of Lithium chemistry batteries.

Regarding your statement: "if a short occurs and contact is made with metal (such as rings on your hand), severe injuries may occur due to the conductibility of electric current." This is the very reason why I 'negotiated' with my wife to get a wedding band that is titanium and is non-conductive.
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

LMAO

sure or just dont let your wife charge your lipo's lol
    Maxamus

It's good to be reminded of the safety rules on Lipos now & then, & I'm glad to say that I manage to do all that by second nature & am always on the lookout for potential dangers. I am surprised that there is no specific mention of balancing the cells in the safety instructions, either by a charger with a built in balancer, or with a remote balancer unit.
    With a comment or two on that added in I think the safety instructions would make a great sticky on the general forum that beginners in the world of Lipos can be directed to when they are looking for information. Or maybe added to the battery section in 'Tips & Info'. What say you Steve?

In answer to your questions Maximus
    1) how well are you looking after your lipo's ??

Very carefully.

2) do you keep a log book of how many times you have charged and the Mah your lipo has taken ??

No. But I do make a mental note if a pack takes on more than the usual in mah & say to myself that "I ran the boat for a couple of laps too many on that prop"

3) what charger and balancer do you use ?

An old Swallow II with an LCB-6C balancer.

4) ever had a serious encounter with a lipo due to over charging/discharge ??

Not a serious one, but I did over discharge a 3600 3s pack in my rescue boat to the point where it only just made it back to shore. Voltage was down to 2.0v/cell the pack was pretty warm & slightly swollen.
    It still runs fine to this day. I only use it in low amp scale boats though.

5) where do you store them and how do you charge them ??

I store them in an Ammo case & charge them in a Lipo sack right next to me in the workshop.

All the best.
    Paul.

great post thanks for the info..........
    THUNDER TIGER OUTLAW,THUNDER TIGER BANDIT
    CARBON FIBER MINICAT HYDRO,MINICAT HYDRO,PROBOAT MISS GEICO,SKUNKWORKS 32" CAT TWIN, H@M VIPER TURBINE ---JEFF WOHLT WIRE DRIVES

Default Bantum e-Station BC 6-10

I have one of these that I use to charge my lipo's for Heli's. It does just about everything you could want and it will balance charge 2 2S, or 2 3S(takes a while) lipos at one time. When you are done running your boat it will do a storage balance charge for leaving lipos for extended periods of time. Great little charger. I have had several others including a Schulze (expensive as hell) and a really cheap and scary DN Power chargers (Iwould not recomend, use only with a lipo bag). Hope this helps. THe place that sells and supports the Bantum products is RC accessory and they are very responsive with questions. Good luck I hope this helps. Web site below, and no I don't work for the company....

http://www.rcaccessory.com/bantame-s...balancers.aspx