Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Captain just ship and can't be saved?

SOMALIA: Getting tough on foreign vessels to save local fishermen : http://www.irinnews.org/Report.aspx?ReportId=83755

The Somalians have a right to defend themselves and if being pirates is one, so be it. If any foreign vessel was to be found 12 miles with in U.S. water habitually, That would only be the tip of the ice berg a** whipping. Always 2 sides to a story, and America media tends to tell the sides that favors their agenda: Mis-Information.
    Samuel Johnson - “An injustice anywhere is an injustice everywhere.” William Cooper "listen to everything, read everything, and believe nothing unless you can prove it in your own research!"

Exploration rights in Somalia for Chinese oil giant CNOOC http://www.oilmarketer.co.uk/2007/07...l-giant-cnooc/

White House Insider "We need a reason for an invasion"
    Samuel Johnson - “An injustice anywhere is an injustice everywhere.” William Cooper "listen to everything, read everything, and believe nothing unless you can prove it in your own research!"

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5...nPcumVc5McYV-Q

UN envoy decries illegal fishing, waste dumping off Somalia

Jul 25, 2008

UNITED NATIONS (AFP) — The UN special envoy for Somalia on Friday sounded the alarm about rampant illegal fishing and the dumping of toxic waste off the coast of the lawless African nation.

"Because there is no (effective) government, there is so much irregular fishing from European and Asian countries," Ahmedou Ould Abdallah told reporters.

He said he had asked several international non-governmental organizations, including Global Witness, which works to break the links between natural resource exploitation, conflict, corruption, and human rights abuses worldwide, "to trace this illegal fishing, illegal dumping of waste."

"It is a disaster off the Somali coast, a disaster (for) the Somali environment, the Somali population," he added.

Ould Abdallah said the phenomenon helps fuel the endless civil war in Somalia as the illegal fishermen are paying corrupt Somali ministers or warlords for protection or to secure fake licenses.

East African waters, particularly off Somalia, have huge numbers of commercial fish species, including the prized yellowfin tuna.

Foreign trawlers reportedly use prohibited fishing equipment, including nets with very small mesh sizes and sophisticated underwater lighting systems, to lure fish to their traps.

"I am convinced there is dumping of solid waste, chemicals and probably nuclear (waste).... There is no government (control) and there are few people with high moral ground," Ould Abdallah added.

Allegations of waste dumping off Somalia by European companies have been heard for years, according to Somalia watchers. The problem was highlighted in the wake of the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami when broken hazardous waste containers washed up on Somali shores.

But world attention has recently focused on piracy off Somalia, which has taken epidemic proportions since the country sank into chaos after warlords ousted the late president Mohamed Siad Barre in 1991.

Somalia's coastal waters are now considered to be among the most dangerous in the world, with more than 25 ships seized by pirates there last year despite US navy patrols, according to the International Maritime Bureau.

Some Somali pirates have reportedly claimed to be acting as "coastguards" protecting their waters from illegal fishing and dumping of toxic waste.

Ould Abdallah cited the case of a Spanish trawler captured by pirates while illegally fishing for tuna off Somalia in April.

He said payment of a ransom for the release of the crew "was done in a very sophisticated manner" with the pirates arranging by phone "to be paid in Macau."

The Spanish government said in late April that it paid no ransom to secure the release of the crew of the Playa de Bakio after six days of captivity. But Andrew Mwangura of the Kenya chapter of the Seafarers Assistance Program then said a ransom of 1.2 million dollars (768,000 euros) was paid.

On Friday, Estonia urged the European Union to take stronger action against Somali pirates attacking cargo ships bound for Europe, after an Estonian sailor was held hostage for 41 days.

On Sunday pirates seized a 52,000-tonne Japanese vessel and its 21 crew members off the Somali coast.

I typically try to stay out of these discussions. What we are experiencing now is very similar to this....
    Government Moto:
    "Why fix it? Blame someone else for breaking it."

I know many people who reside in central and east afrika and there is nothing yellow about what going on.

Quote Originally Posted by RCprince View Post
    William Cooper "listen to everything, read everything, and believe nothing unless you can prove it in your own research!"
    Great idea. Let's practice it.

HINT: Google is not research. Nor is Wikipedia. Nor CNN, Fox, PBS, etc.

When you come back from Africa, we'll listen to you more.

Andy
    Spektrum Development Team

No disagreement there

I know many people who reside in central and east afrika and there is nothing yellow about what going on.
    I think you misunderstood my post. I was referring to the mainstream U.S. Media. They currently seem to put a spin on the "News" that we currently receive. We used to call this "Editorials" when a particular journalist had a opinion. What ever happened to "fair, unbiased, reporting?"
    Government Moto:

And yet there has still not been a demand by them for this to stop??????

Only $$$ is all they want, who is in the "wonderland"???

Your arguement did not answer the question at all.

Quote Originally Posted by domwilson View Post
    I think you misunderstood my post. I was referring to the mainstream U.S. Media. They currently seem to put a spin on the "News" that we currently receive. We used to call this "Editorials" when a particular journalist had a opinion. What ever happened to "fair, unbiased, reporting?"
    I stand corrected in my misunderstanding of your post, clarified. In the past 20 plus years I've learned that the media is the fourth branch of the Government: specializing in half truths and misinformation.

Peter Finch, RIP... He portrayed it best in The Network http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTN3s...eature=related
    Last edited by RCprince; 04-13-2009 at 07:30 PM.

I stand corrected in my misunderstanding of your post, clarified. In the past 20 plus years I've learned that the media is the forth branch of the Government: specializing in half truths and misinformation.

Peter Finch, RIP... He portrayed it best in The Network http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTN3s...eature=related
    Bring back Walter Cronkite!!
    Government Moto:

If you can get it try watching BBC World News or some other International news outlet. What a difference. Actual news with no apparent bias.

Hard for Americans to swallow however since we are more comfortable when we are told what to think. Makes it easier to keep track of the latest NASCAR standings or the stats for our favorite teams.
    Don't get me started

Quote Originally Posted by Bill-SOCAL View Post
    If you can get it try watching BBC World News or some other International news outlet. What a difference. Actual news with no apparent bias.

Hard for Americans to swallow however since we are more comfortable when we are told what to think. Makes it easier to keep track of the latest NASCAR standings or the stats for our favorite teams.
    Government Moto:

I got some danish News for you guys with subtitles, check this one broadcast. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_tf2...layer_embedded

The BBC is biased also. Consider their adjectives regarding capital punishment, gun control, and abortion.

It might just be that you consider them "unbiased" because they share your bias.

Andy

MP George Calloway said " The BBC stands for the Bush Blair Corporation. but anything is better than news in the states.

I got some danish News for you guys with subtitles, check this one broadcast. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_tf2...layer_embedded
    Sounds to me like Niels Harrit is looking for his 15 minutes of fame, any way he can get it.
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
    The BBC is biased also. Consider their adjectives regarding capital punishment, gun control, and abortion.

It might just be that you consider them "unbiased" because they share your bias.

Andy
    I guess that explains why you guys view Fox News as a paragon of objectivity.

They must be "Fair and Balanced" , after all, it's their motto!!
    Don't get me started

OUTFOXED : Rupert Murdoch's War on Journalism http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...ch&hl=en&dur=3

John Pilger - Breaking the Mirror (The Murdoch Effect) http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...+murdock&hl=en

I guess that explains why you guys view Fox News as a paragon of objectivity.

They must be "Fair and Balanced" , after all, it's their motto!!
    Wouldn't know, haven't seen Fox in years other than a visit to the Dairy Queen a few months back. But that was before I knew Colmez wasn't hispanic (I could tell he was a whiner by how he acted, even if I couldn't hear him).

Andy

Depopulation should be the highest priority of foreign policy towards the third world, because the US economy will require large and increasing amounts of minerals from abroad, especially from less developed countries"....Henry Kissinger

Here's an interesting text I recently received from a military friend on this subject:

Subject: AH, now it comes out

Having spoken to some SEAL pals here in Virginia Beach yesterday and asking why this thing dragged out for 4 days, I got the following:

1. BHO wouldn't authorize the DEVGRU/NSWC SEAL teams to the scene for 36 hours going against OSC (on scene commander) recommendation.
    2. Once they arrived, BHO imposed restrictions on their ROE that they couldn't do anything unless the hostage's life was in "imminent" danger
    3. The first time the hostage jumped, the SEALS had the raggies all sighted in, but could not fire due to ROE restriction
    4. When the navy RIB came under fire as it approached with supplies, no fire was returned due to ROE restrictions. As the raggies were shooting at the RIB, they were exposed and the SEALS had them all dialed in.
    5. BHO specifically denied two rescue plans developed by the Bainbridge CPN and SEAL teams
    6. Bainbridge CPN and SEAL team CDR finally decide they have the OpArea and OSC authority to solely determine risk to hostage. 4 hours later, 3 dead raggies
    7. BHO immediately claims credit for his "daring and decisive" behaviour. As usual with him, it's BS.

So per our last email thread, I'm downgrading Oohbaby's performace to D-. Only reason it's not an F is that the hostage survived.

Read the following accurate account.

Philips first leap into the warm, dark water of the Indian Ocean hadn't worked out as well. With the Bainbridge in range and a rescue by his countrys Navy possible, Philips threw himself off of his lifeboat prison, enabling Navy shooters onboard the destroyer a clear shot at his captors and none was taken.

The guidance from National Command Authority the president of the United States,
    Barack Obama had been clear: a peaceful solution was the only acceptable outcome to this standoff unless the hostage's life was in clear, extreme danger.

The next day, a small Navy boat approaching the floating raft was fired on by the Somali pirates and again no fire was returned and no pirates killed. This was again due to the cautious stance assumed by Navy personnel thanks to the combination of a lack of clear guidance from Washington and a mandate from the commander in chiefs staff not to act until Obama, a man with no background of dealing with such issues and no track record of decisiveness, decided that any outcome other than a peaceful solution would be acceptable.

After taking fire from the Somali kidnappers again Saturday night, the on scene commander decided he had enough.

Keeping his authority to act in the case of a clear and present danger to the hostages
    life and having heard nothing from Washington since yet another request to mount a rescue operation had been denied the day before, the Navy officer unnamed in all media reports to date decided the AK47 one captor had leveled at Philips back was a threat to the hostages life and ordered the NSWC team to take their shots.

Three rounds downrange later, all three brigands became enemy KIA and Philips was safe.

There is upside, downside, and spinside to the series of events over the last week that culminated in yesterdays dramatic rescue of an American hostage.

Almost immediately following word of the rescue, the Obama administration and its supporters claimed victory against pirates in the Indian Ocean and [1] declared that the dramatic end to the standoff paid to questions of the inexperienced presidents toughness and decisiveness.

Despite the Obama administrations (and its sycophants) attempt to spin yesterdays success as a result of bold, decisive leadership by the inexperienced president, the reality is nothing of the sort. What should have been a standoff lasting only hours as long as it took the USS Bainbridge and its team of NSWC operators to steam to the location became an embarrassing four day and counting standoff between a ragtag handful of criminals with rifles and a U.S. Navy warship.
    A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jet View Post
    Here's an interesting text I recently received from a military friend on this subject:
    Wow, so you're friends with this Rear Admiral Lou Sarosdy USN Ret. whom all the right wing blogs are attributing this piece to?? Very cool. What can you tell us about your friend the Admiral??
    Don't get me started

Wow, so you're friends with this Rear Admiral Lou Sarosdy USN Ret. whom all the right wing blogs are attributing this piece to?? Very cool. What can you tell us about your friend the Admiral??
    Wow Bill, you always seem to jump to the most absurd conclusions, don't you?

Did you ever stop to think that maybe one of my friends in the military sent me this, no matter WHO is attributed to have written it?

See tag line.........
    A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves

Subject: AH, now it comes out

Having spoken to some SEAL pals here in Virginia Beach yesterday and asking why this thing dragged out for 4 days, I got the following:

1. BHO wouldn't authorize the DEVGRU/NSWC SEAL teams to the scene for 36 hours going against OSC (on scene commander) recommendation.
    2. Once they arrived, BHO imposed restrictions on their ROE that they couldn't do anything unless the hostage's life was in "imminent" danger
    3. The first time the hostage jumped, the SEALS had the raggies all sighted in, but could not fire due to ROE restriction
    4. When the navy RIB came under fire as it approached with supplies, no fire was returned due to ROE restrictions. As the raggies were shooting at the RIB, they were exposed and the SEALS had them all dialed in.
    5. BHO specifically denied two rescue plans developed by the Bainbridge CPN and SEAL teams
    6. Bainbridge CPN and SEAL team CDR finally decide they have the OpArea and OSC authority to solely determine risk to hostage. 4 hours later, 3 dead raggies
    7. BHO immediately claims credit for his "daring and decisive" behaviour. As usual with him, it's BS.

So per our last email thread, I'm downgrading Oohbaby's performace to D-. Only reason it's not an F is that the hostage survived.

Read the following accurate account.

Philips first leap into the warm, dark water of the Indian Ocean hadn't worked out as well. With the Bainbridge in range and a rescue by his countrys Navy possible, Philips threw himself off of his lifeboat prison, enabling Navy shooters onboard the destroyer a clear shot at his captors and none was taken.

The guidance from National Command Authority the president of the United States,
    Barack Obama had been clear: a peaceful solution was the only acceptable outcome to this standoff unless the hostage's life was in clear, extreme danger.

The next day, a small Navy boat approaching the floating raft was fired on by the Somali pirates and again no fire was returned and no pirates killed. This was again due to the cautious stance assumed by Navy personnel thanks to the combination of a lack of clear guidance from Washington and a mandate from the commander in chiefs staff not to act until Obama, a man with no background of dealing with such issues and no track record of decisiveness, decided that any outcome other than a peaceful solution would be acceptable.

After taking fire from the Somali kidnappers again Saturday night, the on scene commander decided he had enough.

Keeping his authority to act in the case of a clear and present danger to the hostages
    life and having heard nothing from Washington since yet another request to mount a rescue operation had been denied the day before, the Navy officer unnamed in all media reports to date decided the AK47 one captor had leveled at Philips back was a threat to the hostages life and ordered the NSWC team to take their shots.

Three rounds downrange later, all three brigands became enemy KIA and Philips was safe.

There is upside, downside, and spinside to the series of events over the last week that culminated in yesterdays dramatic rescue of an American hostage.

Almost immediately following word of the rescue, the Obama administration and its supporters claimed victory against pirates in the Indian Ocean and [1] declared that the dramatic end to the standoff paid to questions of the inexperienced presidents toughness and decisiveness.

Despite the Obama administrations (and its sycophants) attempt to spin yesterdays success as a result of bold, decisive leadership by the inexperienced president, the reality is nothing of the sort. What should have been a standoff lasting only hours as long as it took the USS Bainbridge and its team of NSWC operators to steam to the location became an embarrassing four day and counting standoff between a ragtag handful of criminals with rifles and a U.S. Navy warship.
    Thanks for posting Dr.
    Have any of the news organizations determined if this is credible?
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

I did not want to get into this debate but guess what

The goverments of many NATO countries can not engage and will not allow their forces to fire upon foreign vessels in International waters...UNLESS they have been fired at first and fear that their CITIZENS are at risk. This was definetely the case in this scenario and the end result was great. It did take some time for this descion to be made...politics

Douggie

Jet's excellent job of copy pasting (as usual) is all over the radical right wing nutjob blogosphere so it must be 100% true

Steve

The Religious Right are nutcases, so indoctrinated with Christianity that they seldom see Christ ( besides Sunday Mornings when they can't talk in church). For a people who is supposed to be following a doctrine of "Love" They sure make taking a life commendable and accepted, from handguns to military bombs... "Oh Lucifer Son of the morning star we praise you in thoughts and deeds" Right winger at an initiation.
    Last edited by RCprince; 04-20-2009 at 06:08 PM.

Wow Bill, you always seem to jump to the most absurd conclusions, don't you?

Did you ever stop to think that maybe one of my friends in the military sent me this, no matter WHO is attributed to have written it?

See tag line.........
    No I did not, because it is patently obvious that you merely cut and pasted the "story" without the opening line that most of the 800 or so other online source to this thing had. So I sincerely doubt that it was your "buddy" who was the one who was speaking. In fact as written this is the Dear Admiral saying that his buddy sent it to him after talking to some of his SEAL buddies.

Not exactly first hand information, is it??

Here is how the story is being shown around the Net:

Radm Lou Sarosdy USN Ret. writes:

The real story of Obama's Decision Making with the hostages.

So the Admiral is reporting on his discussion with his SEAL buddies who told him what they heard.
    Don't get me started

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast