Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turnigy 180 amp boat esc

Default Turnigy 180 amp boat esc

Check this out!

Turnigy 180 amp esc

Last edited by ReddyWatts; 04-10-2009 at 11:30 AM.
    ReddyWatts fleet photo
    M1 Supercat - Neu 1527 1Y, 8s / Mean Machine- Feigao 580, 8s, 120 HV esc
    Mean Machine - Feigao 540 14XL, 8s, 100 amp HV esc, X537/3

dang, look pretty good! I have a 100A one I added cooling to and it has served me well in my 28" hydro on 8XL and 4S with an X640 prop - will need to get you some datalogger data on that setup as well.

This ESC, if built to the standards of the 100A, should ROCK!!! and pretty good price...

that looks very very interesting

Made by Hobby Wing, I have 2 of the hobby wing ones. Have not tried them as I am in the const. stage at this time. Workmanship on the outside is outstanding. Limited to 6s but I don't plan to go over that until I build the Prather with the 2215. Good footprint too.

Curt

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse J View Post
    dang, look pretty good! I have a 100A one I added cooling to and it has served me well in my 28" hydro on 8XL and 4S with an X640 prop - will need to get you some datalogger data on that setup as well.

This ESC, if built to the standards of the 100A, should ROCK!!! and pretty good price...

Jesse
    you have a pm thats important ...I need your addy

I also use the turnigy controllers with great success. I have abused the turnigy plush 100a on 6s for almost 2 years now and it still works fine. This 180a looks great. They also just came out with a K-series that is 120a and 150a...but is not "marine" ...they just come with standard heat sink.

Does anyone know if this controller comes waterproofed?

Yes it is waterproof. All the electronics are incased in a water tight compartment . Thie top of the unit that the heat controller sits on with the water cooling is neatly sealed also.

Is that heat shrink on the caps? Does anyone know?
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

Quote Originally Posted by Meniscus View Post

yes just like castle does on the mamba max esc....it wont keep water out though

Quote Originally Posted by Meniscus View Post
    Looks like they added some for support...

I have been running the 60 amp version of this esc in my 16" hydros for the last year without any problems.Eagletree recorded 90 amp spikes with no undue heat.

Steve

i used to be Turnigy's fan as well, good price and good quality esc, but if its just $20 diff with Etti 150 then i will choice Etti anytime for beter quality beter amp and more cell handle, the oversea shipping will make it cost same price with Etti we buy here in US anyway

I bought one via a bid as the Sea Wing through Compresso site and got it for $88 shipped to me They sold me a second one for the same price but COMBINed the shipping for 1 cost. So I got 2 of them for $155 shipped. Don't think the Etti could be had for that. Granted the etti handles a higher cell count but if you are running no more than 6s 2 of these with their rating for $155 shipped is unbeatable.
    Also the caps are external and soldered to the exterior of the board. Every other part of the board except the leads part is inside a waterproof case and sealed with gaskets and sealant.

I am a fan of the Turnigy product.

I have used the Turnigy 100 with no issues. I had a bunch of cooling plates made to fit the esc as well. I wonder if the programming card will work on this esc?

Agreed. I think the shrink on the caps is for support. The leads on these type of caps are not very strong and tend to break if "pushed" around.

One thing to remember is product support. So far ETTI has not refused one ESC return that we have sent him.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Well get one in a hull and test it! Could be a great unit...the water tightness alone is impressive.

Can a person just put a brake on the shaft while running on the bench to test amp draw? A plane prop works but I was thinking of some kinda of slipper coupler you could tighten down and bring the load up gradually. Or something like that. Kinda of like a dyno for FE motors.

We could then put a load on it and measure it with the eagle and hold it at 150 or whatever amps we wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Skunk Works View Post

I have used the Turnigy 100 with no issues. I had a bunch of cooling plates made to fit the esc as well. I wonder if the programming card will work on this esc?

Agreed. I think the shrink on the caps is for support. The leads on these type of caps are not very strong and tend to break if "pushed" around.

I have a program card from the Car version of this esc. It is a HobbyWing and the Sea Wing uses the same card. In the car version, the card comes with it.

Cards about 6-9 bucks on ebay sites that sell this esc.

Support Steve, u r exactly right in that area. That is something to consider when one is looking at higher voltage applications. I got these for 4-6 cell use. The extra amp rating they offer in that range makes them a good deal for that use. I have been trying to get someone to give me input on the 200a Etti and cannot but am interested in it because of the support issue in the higher cell count area.

Steve can you help me with the etti 20amp navy esc? It would let me run the 2215 I got from you in the prather offshore using 2x 5c 5000 packs for that motor.

It seems no-one has asked the important question/issue: Programmability. I wonder if this ESC is programmable via the Turnigy program card or is it a bunch of @#$%^& beeps as well?

Quote Originally Posted by lomdel View Post
    It seems no-one has asked the important question/issue: Programmability. I wonder if this ESC is programmable via the Turnigy program card or is it a bunch of @#$%^& beeps as well?

As I said in my post above they use a hobby wing program card. All the hobby wing, aka sea wing stuff uses the same card which is about $9 on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by crrcboatz View Post
    As I said in my post above they use a hobby wing program card. All the hobby wing, aka sea wing stuff uses the same card which is about $9 on ebay.
    We must have posted at the same time... The link : http://cgi.ebay.com/Hobbywing-LED-Pr...742.m153.l1262

Remember that Steven and etti will have the best service and we are not sure if it will actually handle 180 amps yet. Just like to see more boat products.
    ReddyWatts fleet photo

Quote Originally Posted by Skunk Works View Post

SW please read this
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ead.php?t=7242

Bust....Thanks for the info on the post. There are "versions" of this hull out there. I will be put a post out on that one.

Think I need to try the ETTI in a build. Sounds impressive. One other thing I read about the T180 is that it has BEC. Does anyone know if it knocks down the amount juice you can put through it?

I wonder if they would be willing to let one of you guys demo one of these and provide feedback on this thread - sink or swim! Reddy, Jeff, anyone willing to destroy it and provide the datalogger data should contact them with this proposition. If they are confident in their product and realize the publicity of this forum, they should gladly donate one for this cause AND comment on the support.

Steven V usually tries new products and lets us know.
    ReddyWatts fleet photo

Quote Originally Posted by ReddyWatts View Post
    ...not sure if it will actually handle 180 amps yet. Just like to see more boat products.
    I have to agree with Reddy. It's always good to see new products out there catering to boats.

I wasn't aware that ETTI was so good in the warranty arena as Steven has indicated. There's a reason to purchase an ETTI: proven and supported. Plus you can buy one here on OSE
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

Two more new Turnigy boat controllers.

Marine 120 amp LV controller

Marine 80 amp HV controller

ReddyWatts fleet photo

Good price...worth testing but probably taking the chance like on the hi-model is about the same thing. Some may be good and some not.

Seems these guys come up with mods pretty fast if they can sell more. So put a cooling plate on them HXt 120 and add cooling plate re-wrap and call it marine and they will sell tons. Looks like a mystery or HXT if you take the shrink off ...I would bet you.

I am am not knocking them but I think we have seen just about every ESC out there so I would guess this is just a mod from some other ESC. Walkera, Dualsky and Danilions is all about the same stuff.

I hope they work....I still think the Hi-model at laest has many more fets and layers and there is a reason for that. A fast CPu is great but comes down to how decent the fets and caps are.

I would like to know as well wether the Turnigy Marine ESC would perform better than the almost equivalent Seaking ones on eBay...

If you log in, the 180amp
    http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...hless_Boat_ESC
    is only 89.95

Quote Originally Posted by lomdel View Post
    I would like to know as well wether the Turnigy Marine ESC would perform better than the almost equivalent Seaking ones on eBay...
    It is the same product with another name on it just as the 180amp was is it not??

Dime to a dollar says it is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast