Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Too many Guns

You know what, Bill. I agree.

Andy
    Spektrum Development Team

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post
    There must be some island we can just dump murderers, rapist and child molesters.
    San Francisco used to have one of those islands. Then they all moved ashore and took over the local government.

Andy

Andy...now that was funny! We had many of the big names right here in the Jefferson City MSP.

Wonder why we lived in fear and wanted to own guns in our little midwestern town? We had several breaks and the town would almost shut down and load their weapons.

This is kind of interesting. Most people who are murdered are killed by somebody they know. Around 2,300 people per year are murdered by a stranger.

To put this in perspective about 3,300 people per year suffocate.

So, for those of you who keep a gun under your pillow (literally or figuratively) you are more likely to suffocate than to be killed by a stranger. So be careful with that pillow!!!

Put another way, homicide by stranger accounts for about 1% of all non-natural causes of death.

Sadly, about 17,500 people per year die by suicide with a firearm. So almost 8 times as many people kill themselves with guns than are killed by strangers.
    Don't get me started

Quote Originally Posted by Bill-SOCAL View Post
    Sadly until we as a country care more about what is really going on than who wins the NCAA tournament or American Idol, I doubt much will change.
    Are you serious, I live for March Madness! I wish I could move half as fast as any one of those athletes that played last night!

In all seriousness, I do care, tell me where to start so I can get some real change done? Tell me how I stop "OUR" government from taking a giant lump of my profits and handing it to companies that don't deserve it? Tell me how I stop addiction, which is rampant and consuming "OUR" country? Tell me how to stop the illegal aliens from working under the table and not paying their fair share? I'm all ears?
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

And just how many are murdered every year legally by a doctor?

And how many more are murdered every year by somebody on alcohol?

I think we need to address those issues first.

Andy

Thanks Andy for making my point. This irrational fear of being murdered in the streets as a justification for being armed is silly. There are far more real and present dangers which go largely ignored.

In 2006, there were 13,470 fatalities in crashes involving an alcohol-impaired driver (BAC of .08 or higher) – 32 percent of total traffic fatalities for the year.
    Don't get me started

Thanks for making mine too, Bill.

At least (for now) I can have the choice.

When I drive, I take precautions - I drive defensively, don't speed, wear my seat belt, etc.

That's what we're talking about - taking responsibility for our actions, taking responsibility for our choices, and protection ourselves to the best of our ability.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post

That's what we're talking about - taking responsibility for our actions, taking responsibility for our choices, and protection ourselves to the best of our ability.

Andy
    Andy I know you believe that, but there is a large group of people that also believe that the government should be responsible for them. Changing this growing mentality isn't going to be easy with another 4 years worth of programs being started and funded.
    Steven Vaccaro

P.S. I too, agree with Bill on that basketball/pro sports stuff. Sports are for morons. A bunch of over-paid cocaine addicts and hoodulums, all of them. Stereoids, player's strikes, dog fighting, shootouts, rapes, you name it. Sports used to create heros and idols. Now all they produce is two-bit thugs and criminals.

I haven't watched television since the 1980s (other than when visiting somebody that has one turned on). I don't know (or care) who shot JR. Sitcoms? They rot your mind. The only thing I have seen on TV worth a darn is on the History Channel or the Discovery Channel.
    A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jet View Post
    P.S. I too, agree with Bill on that basketball/pro sports stuff. Sports are for morons. A bunch of over-paid cocaine addicts and hoodulums, all of them. Stereoids, player's strikes, dog fighting, shootouts, rapes, you name it. Sports used to create heros and idols. Now all they produce is two-bit thugs and criminals.

I haven't watched television since the 1980s (other than when visiting somebody that has one turned on). I don't know (or care) who shot JR. Sitcoms? They rot your mind. The only thing I have seen on TV worth a darn is on the History Channel or the Discovery Channel.

Amen, but I do like motor racing, F1 and rally racing..Nascar no

Douggie

WOW, talk about painiting with a brush the size of a house! I'd be willing to bet you a dinner that the percentage of those problems are not any larger than whats happening outside of profesional sports.

I guess in your book I'm a moron. I can live with that
    Steven Vaccaro

The problem Steven is our inability to live with our faillings in sports. We watch the some very questionable athletes that perform in some sports where we know they have taken drugs and we state I could have done that if I had taken ???

Douggie

rant rant rant all you want about the worlds problems and keep saying we don't need to sleep with a gun under our pillows "figuratively or literally" of course......the truth is ALL this *!***!***!***!** is going on around us and it ain't going to change any time soon...its only going to get worse and when there's no fuel or no food on the shelve then men will become dogs in the street and turn into road warriors...we live on a fine line gentlemen

so ask yourself this...would you rather have a gun under your pillow to protect your loved ones or Not?....I wouldn't

I would rather have a AK47 under my bed

WOW, talk about painiting with a brush the size of a house! I'd be willing to bet you a dinner that the percentage of those problems are not any larger than whats happening outside of profesional sports.

I guess in your book I'm a moron. I can live with that
    Maybe that was a bit of a broad-brush statement, but for the most part, I think pro sports have degraded into something not worthy of the financial and emotional investment it currently receives.

You make HOW many millions for playing a GAME? A freeking game? Jeeze, you certainly can get a LOT of tatoos for that kind of money, can't you? Maybe if that same effort went into teaching our kids to read and write...... And maybe a good solid dose of U.S. History; and not that touchy-feely, politically-(in)correct version either. Teach them the truth of men like Madison, Jefferson, Payne, Franklin, Handcock, Washington, Adams and the like. Teach them why Francis Scott Key wrote the "Star-Spanglrd Banner".

Come on down to sunny Southern Mexifornia for that dinner my friend, it's on me.....

As for sports that died in the 80's with the Lakers and Celtics rivalry, the Yanks and the Giants Superbowl in 86'... if we paid our teachers like we paid athletes and entertainers we be a better off Society and maybe other countries would come here to recruit employees instead of the other way around. Perhaps if we didn't embellish the Greco- Roman culture so much where everything is about the Colosseum and the flesh fest, we'd be the pinnacle we so convinced ourselves we are.

When it watch TLC, Discovery, Science, NationalGeo, Animal Planet, History and History International, Sometimes A&E for those investigative reports and crime shows, But the commercials turn my brains into spaghetti gosh are people in this country this stupid(yes) that you write commercial for people with 2nd grade education... grrr as for the news I by pass all of them, all. I know some of you must get your Morning fill of Rush- Latte and your Nightly Ambient Cr of Hannity to make a well balanced day of media supplements... I wonder if they'll cover the infidelity of their Fellow republican Governor from Nevada.
    Last edited by RCprince; 04-07-2009 at 04:46 PM.
    Samuel Johnson - “An injustice anywhere is an injustice everywhere.” William Cooper "listen to everything, read everything, and believe nothing unless you can prove it in your own research!"

Watch CBC or the BBC, just the news!

Douggie

Maybe that was a bit of a broad-brush statement, but for the most part, I think pro sports have degraded into something not worthy of the financial and emotional investment it currently receives.

You make HOW many millions for playing a GAME? A freeking game? Jeeze, you certainly can get a LOT of tatoos for that kind of money, can't you? Maybe if that same effort went into teaching our kids to read and write...... And maybe a good solid dose of U.S. History; and not that touchy-feely, politically-(in)correct version either. Teach them the truth of men like Madison, Jefferson, Payne, Franklin, Handcock, Washington, Adams and the like. Teach them why Francis Scott Key wrote the "Star-Spanglrd Banner".

Come on down to sunny Southern Mexifornia for that dinner my friend, it's on me.....

One part of me agrees that they are way over paid, but the other part of me says that they are overpaid because of advertisers, sponsors and people over paying for tickets, so if people are willing to shell out the cash, why shouldn't they get a piece of that pie?

I may take you up on that dinner offer some day. Start saving now, I can pack it away.
    Steven Vaccaro

One part of me agrees that they are way over paid, but the other part of me says that they are overpaid because of advertisers, sponsors and people over paying for tickets, so if people are willing to shell out the cash, why shouldn't they get a piece of that pie?

I may take you up on that dinner offer some day. Start saving now, I can pack it away.

Steven, that is the problem, the FAN and please look up the dictionary for a definition...it is not pretty

Douggie

Quote Originally Posted by bustitup View Post
    rant rant rant all you want about the worlds problems and keep saying we don't need to sleep with a gun under our pillows "figuratively or literally" of course......the truth is ALL this *!***!***!***!** is going on around us and it ain't going to change any time soon...its only going to get worse and when there's no fuel or no food on the shelve then men will become dogs in the street and turn into road warriors...we live on a fine line gentlemen

so ask yourself this...would you rather have a gun under your pillow to protect your loved ones or Not?....I wouldn't

I would rather have a AK47 under my bed
    Man kind will never changed, unless the whole is threatened, Those who have power and wealth will never acquiesce to the needs or desires of the proletarians no matter how humane or sane their ideas are, They have nothing to profit. Newtons First law states "An object at rest tends to stay at rest and an object in motion tends to stay in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force." Only on the brink do people find the will to change.
    Samuel Johnson - “An injustice anywhere is an injustice everywhere.” William Cooper "listen to everything, read everything, and believe nothing unless you can prove it in your own research!"

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
    Steven, that is the problem, the FAN and please look up the dictionary for a definition...it is not pretty

Douggie
    I don't see it as a problem, I see it as good business.
    Steven Vaccaro

Really, a fanatic??
    Always, love your responses, but sport fanatics get me worried

Douggie

I'm stopping to pick up all the road kill I can find.......

Actually, I will be completing my hardscaping/pond/waterfall/barbecue structure within the next few weeks (that's one reason I haven't been building boats), and you are welcome to come try it out. I have several bottles of 20-year-old Cabernet Sauvignon to break-out with the first few meals.

I did get a Graupner 3-channel mini-sub to chase the goldfish...........

Give me back my bullets! A little Skynard there.

Bill....you always come up with good stuff. Now I can't friggin sleep at night worried about my pillow killing me!!

So the best thing is to leave us good folk alone with our guns and hope we are there to save your ass when the bad guys come to swallow you up. I will go down shooting, thank you very much.

You all miss the point about freedom and our rights.

Official: Ala. man kills wife, 3 others, self http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090408/...bama_four_dead

Uncle Sam is coming for you guys guns

What entertainment this thread is. I needed a good laugh! By the way I just found this statistic.....99.9% of violent criminals prefere unarmed victims!!!
    Last edited by H2OCamel; 04-07-2009 at 11:22 PM.

I think more of that story is about a man snapping. Society, economy or was the gun just the means to end the situation? If he had not had a gun they may have died even worse like knives, strangled to death...You can look at it in many ways.

If I am going to die please just blow my brains out. I do not want to watch my guts hit the floor before I do.

All ones perspective I guess. I do not want anyone thinking I am some trigger happy SOB...just the opposite. Things are different when you live out in the country like I do. It is a way of life...not taking human lives!! I grew up with hunting and all that so we see it differently I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by H2OCamel View Post
    What entertainment this thread is. I needed a good laugh! By the way I just found this statistic.....99.9% of violent criminal prefere unarmed victims!!!
    You bet your life on that, ask the Indigenous Australians, Americans (North and South), Afrikans and Asians. If they only had some Ak 47's when those sword wielding Imperialist, I meant Capitalist Oops I meant Imperialist... (whats the difference, 2 sides of the same coin) hit their shores... What would world history be today.

Nice to know that the system works (he says with total sarcasm):

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_184391.html

Yes, I know, all it would have taken was one of the victims to be armed and the whole thing would have been avoided.

Seven armed and trained cops, several women, and numerous children. Guns did not save the cops. Yes Dr. Jet, I know it was the ACLU's fault, really, you have that little regard for the police??

I doubt the sleeping children would have been saved had they been armed. Maybe one of the office workers would have had the guts to stand up to a maniac opening fire suddenly in an office, maybe not Maybe a nurse in the nursing home. Maybe the orderlies should pack heat.

And yet the argument that more guns is the solution makes sense to you guys.

Simply amazing.

And you want to really go ape?? I am willing to bet that 99 out of 100 of the Billy Bad A$$es who beat their chests crowing about what they would do if confronted with an armed and violent person would actually crap their pants before they could pull their gun.

It saddens me to no end that 100 people per year die from peanut allergies and the whole country is in an uproar to protect the children. Yet over 16,000 people a year die from gun violence and all we get is a sudden increase in the number of constitutional scholars lecturing us (in poor grammar and terrible spelling) on what the Founding Fathers had in mind. Somehow I sincerely doubt they ever imagined 1,300 children dying annually because of guns would be justified by what they had in mind with a "well armed militia".
    Last edited by Bill-SOCAL; 04-08-2009 at 09:49 AM.
    Don't get me started

Just a follow on. This is the Pittsburgh shooter.

Accused cop-killer Richard Poplawski spent hours posting racist messages on an extremist right-wing Web site, decrying blacks and Latinos and warning of forthcoming economic collapse fueled by the "Zionist occupation" of America, an expert in political extremism has determined. Earlier, he had praised the "AK" rifle as his ideal weapon.

It was an AK-47 that police say Mr. Poplawski used to gun down three Pittsburgh police officers who arrived at his house Saturday morning in the midst of a domestic dispute.

An account kept on Stormfront, a gathering place for racial extremists and others from the far-right show Mr. Poplawski's increasing belief in a coming economic and political collapse in the days leading up to the time of the deadly standoff in which he is charged with killing three Pittsburgh police officers.
    Story from the local paper: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09096/960938-100.stm

Oh, and he was a big fan of Glenn Beck.
    Don't get me started

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast