Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: 30" Scratch Built Cat

lomdel whos boat ever sheared the sponsons away from the hull??? I have never heard about this just curious thats all.

Hi rawsonreyes and all .As i can see your already to go ,The frame look sweet m8 will be one find looking boat when done .Also you can fiberglass some of the bullhead when the frame all build and Sq up before you sheet .here a picture of Zipp CrackerBoxes i just did for a friend of mine
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi all here the way i bend wood . first i draw and layout the line on paper the i put finish nail in 1/2 ply on the outside of line then i take a pvc pipe and cap one end then i put the wood into it then i use a 1300 watt monster steamer to steam the wood for 5Min then take it out and put it into the building jig and let dry over night or you can bend it on the boat and clamp it down it bean very easy .hope this help anyone ,here some picture of it

balsa wood sheared the sponsons away from the hull ? was it glue or nail together because i can,t not see how this can happen if it was glue and Epoxy together ,any picture of it ,just curious

Hi all i have a Lehner basic XL 3600 motor and it have an shaft dia of 3.175mm .So i am looking for a Coupler Flex Collet for this to hook to my 3/16" shaft adjustable stinger drive .?

i want to do a twin build on lomdels hull but how will i ever get em motors in the hull?? the space looks quite small in there?
    SUPERVEE 27 37'' TWIN CAT

Quote Originally Posted by rcboatfan View Post
    i want to do a twin build on lomdels hull but how will i ever get em motors in the hull?? the space looks quite small in there?
    The openings in the stringers where the motors would be installed through has been designed to allow for a 540 size motor with a cooling jacket. Before assembly make sure the motor screw holes is big enough and that the rear three bulkheads have been strengthened/reinforced. To tighten them, some kind of angled driver would help. I agree it is tight (I struggled my ass off to tighten the stingers screws on the inside , but did get it done eventually) but with the right tools it can be done. Some guys let their hatch stretch over the sponsons to work on the motor from above, I didn't for aesthetic reasons, and I know I am going to struggle a bit, but mine won't be for everyday running. It would be more of a working testament to my building abilities... I am still assembling hardware, haven't got the dough for electrics yet.

Quote Originally Posted by lomdel View Post
    The openings in the stringers where the motors would be installed through has been designed to allow for a 540 size motor with a cooling jacket. Before assembly make sure the motor screw holes is big enough and that the rear three bulkheads have been strengthened/reinforced. To tighten them, some kind of angled driver would help. I agree it is tight (I struggled my ass off to tighten the stingers screws on the inside , but did get it done eventually) but with the right tools it can be done. Some guys let their hatch stretch over the sponsons to work on the motor from above, I didn't for aesthetic reasons, and I know I am going to struggle a bit, but mine won't be for everyday running. It would be more of a working testament to my building abilities... I am still assembling hardware, haven't got the dough for electrics yet.
    ok thanks lomdel! im going to get this build going soon!! and im quite excited! have you looked at hobby city electronics? you can get an xl size motor for 30$! and a 100 amp esc for 30 also! this is where im going to get my electronics hopefully

Two 540 XL's would be overkill for this hull IMO. I intend to run 2 540 9L's with 2 120A ESC's.

Quote Originally Posted by lomdel View Post
    Two 540 XL's would be overkill for this hull IMO. I intend to run 2 540 9L's with 2 120A ESC's.
    im going to make mine 36inch though

Default frp look on cat

hi lomdel kennyrach/normam, all this is some pics on the build it's lots of time but worth it hope you guys are doing some videos, to show set up and speeds. hope to see some soon.rreyes

wow m8 looking good and fiberglass side and bottom .Are the side made from sheet that you made yourself or got off the web

hi kennyrach, i did the frp skins for the hull the only wood parts is the cutouts.thinking of removable hatch covers for the motor sections just like fullsize hulls lots of work but very rewarding when finish. thanks for the support rreyer.

Hi rreyer me be at the Great South Bay Racing Inc., OPA Racing http://www.greatsouthbayracing.com/ this weekend it only 10min from my house .here the clip on it Promotional Commercial for Battle on the Bay:

http://www.greatsouthbayracing.com/commerical2009.html

Why did you use chopped mat instead of woven fabric? Mat isn't NEARLY as strong.

I use the chopped all the time for lay out .Here a little description of it ,#1
    product name:chopped strand mat
    description:chopped strand mat is made from fiberglass strands chopped to length and bonded together with powder binder or emulsion binder.
    application:chopped strand mat is used primarily for hand lay-up process, filament winding and press molding of FRP products such as laminates, boats, complete set of bathing equipment, automotive parts and cooling tower, etc.
    Properties:1.good wet out 2. easy to form 3.very high tensile strength, suitable for filament winding or continuous laminating.4.good resistance to watering and chemical agents in anti-corrosion applications. #2 And the Woven Roving is for large item here some info product name:Woven Roving
    description:woven roving is produced from roving especially designed for weaving.
    application:woven roving is used mainly in the manufacture of large structural objects such as boat-hulls, car bodies, swimming pools, and other FRP products. # 3 description:fiberglass mesh is a mesh fabric woven made from fiberglass roving, and then coated by alkaline resistant latex.
    application:fiberglass mesh is widely applied in wall reinforce, external wall heat preservation and roofing water release. It is also an ideal material in the building industry such as the reinforcing cement, marble and mosaic construction.
    Properties:1.high performance in chemical-corrosion resistance. 2.high strength 3.good agglutination capacity and fixation performance. So all 3 will do the same job fine

Default brand new yellow mean machine

hi kenny all, got a trade today mean machine for zenoah engine with speedmaster hardware post some pics tomorrow.thanks for the explanation to that guy about using mat compare to rovin. those vids looks great please pm me with some personal info about yourself.thanks rreyes

Marketing anyone?

Hi all .I will have to stop building for 6-8 week I have an accident with my F150 truck pick up and my left hand is broken .So i be watching you all build for now
    Last edited by kennyrach; 08-23-2009 at 05:21 PM.

Default hope you get well soon

hi kennerach .sorry to hear of that accident hhope you recover soon and get back in the game.rreyes

Default new pics 31 cat

hi guys this is were i am at in this build epoxied the inside with west system epoxy going to start sealing main deck tomorrow with expanding foam for floatation spray can type.by september i will have all electronics and motors.have n't decided on type for motors but looking for 55/60 mph any one with tested setup for that speed send the info. this is for lomdel please let me know what setup you are using and speed eg drive types/ prop and prop rotation inside /out.thank rreyes.
    Last edited by rawsonreyes; 08-23-2009 at 04:59 PM.

Man WEST SYSTEM epoxy is a marine epoxy of the highest quality;what a way to go m8

Quote Originally Posted by rawsonreyes View Post
    ...this is for lomdel please let me know what setup you are using and speed eg drive types/ prop and prop rotation inside /out.thank rreyes.
    Rawson, I don't have a complete set-up yet. I will order 2x 540 9L motors and 2x 120A marine ESC's at a later stage when finances are better. Currently I have the Graupner rudder, 2x Etti 4mm stingers with .130 left- and right lay flex cables and Octura X442 inwards rotating right- and left props. This I will run off 3S lipo for each ESC. I didn't build this cat to be fast, but to prove to myself that I can build one from scratch. If it floats and reach 35+mph without flipping, I'll be more than happy...

As I mentioned earlier I have a rather big problem with my sponson's vertical alignment. Due to this, I will not try to push her too hard. I am considering completing this build, run her a couple of times, shelving her, buy a Agitator hull and transplant all the hardware and electronics.

Hi Rawson,Lomodel,Kennyrach and Jesse J.
    Our Club has created a Limited Spec Offshore class. Rules are 26-30" hull, SV27, BL26 or UL-1 Powerplants and ESC. 2S1Px2 Lipos.
    Race will be this week-end and I will be racing the 30" Scratch built cat. I have installed the UL-1 Motor/ESC and will see how it
    will come out. Was going to Race My Titan 29 but I replaced motor with an Ammo 36-50-2300 which they will not allow in the LSO Class.
    Will let you know results. Regards
    Norman
    PS Kenny sorry about your accident. Get well soon
    34" Ekos Cat UL-1 Powered

Thank Norman and good luck

hi guys kenny lomdel norman jessej, here are some pics of the build and mean machine hull. thanks for the info lomdel i have the same financial woes like yourself but it's only for a short time hang in there.

Default 30" Scrath Built Cat

Hi Rawson, Looking good. Your Scratch Built Cat is going to be much prettier
    than the mean Machine. Regards
    Norman

Default 30" Scratch Built Cat

Quote Originally Posted by rawsonreyes View Post
    hi guys kenny lomdel norman jessej, here are some pics of the build and mean machine hull. thanks for the info lomdel i have the same financial woes like yourself but it's only for a short time hang in there.
    Hi Rawson. I am attaching some photos of my cat to give you some incentive to
    finish yours. It is Fast, Handles perfect, and it is pretty. You will be very happy
    when you finish. Mine is a single UL-1 motor but my goal was 45MPH and I have
    reached 46.2. Now to races on Saturday. Regards
    Norman

Rawson, you are so close!!! Norman that is great news! I really like your exhaust system, did you make it or order? Could you post some close ups of them please?

Good job on the rah rah for Rawson, you are gonna have a great cat - I agree much nicer than the MM. Keep it up!\
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Default 30" Scratch Built Cat

Hi Jesse, I made the exhaust pipes from square basswood and brass tubing.
    I guess I was trying to motivate rawson as I have not seen any cats completed
    except yours. Regards
    Norman
    PS Did you finish the Intruder?

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast