Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: 30" Scratch Built Cat

Hey guys is it too late for a new guy to get a set of plans for this cat? if not please send me some at vice@winco.net thanks Bill

I could use a set, too. Preferably in a format that will let me easily enlarge it to somewhere around 55". Everyone needs a boat they can't fit in their vehicle

Twin motor configuration questions

Hi all, i've just started to build this boat (blown up to 35 inches) and are already facing problems with twin motor setup. I've found it cluse to impossible to mount the motor without doing it before i put in the sponson, which again bring up the question: how to replace a motor if one get faulty?

Any suggestions for me guys? Going single motor is not a option as i have RTR boats with that setup, my only option as i see it is to just stop the production and buy me a twin motor cat and just acccept that the money i've spent so far are lost

Quote Originally Posted by Viceguy View Post
    Twin motor configuration questions

Hi all, i've just started to build this boat (blown up to 35 inches) and are already facing problems with twin motor setup. I've found it cluse to impossible to mount the motor without doing it before i put in the sponson, which again bring up the question: how to replace a motor if one get faulty?

Any suggestions for me guys? Going single motor is not a option as i have RTR boats with that setup, my only option as i see it is to just stop the production and buy me a twin motor cat and just acccept that the money i've spent so far are lost
    Sell that hull if you want to start over. I'm sure someone would be glad to take it off your hands. I have a 32" cat and a 37" cat I can make you deal on either. I have fiberglass or carbon. I bought a few extra for builds I'm doing....but I don't really need them. I just collect stuff I guess.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

The parts for this boat will be used to light up our fireplace this winter, kudos to tread starter for managing to build this boat. I could not do it, got stuck when trying to make and put on the outer skin. If this tread had covered that (and even better if the drawings had included that parts) then maybe i would have finished mine also.

2000 nkr wasted

Ok... gave this a 2nd try and just chosen to have a single motor instead. Now when i've covered more or less the outside of the hull with 0.8 mm waterproof plywood more questions are coming to my mind, and as a newbee builder i'm stuck without answers.

how do i proceed with the hull, do i put filler (or whatever it's called) on before or after epoxy? Also how many layers of epoxy do i put on, i assume i have to sand it smooth before starting to paint with colors.

Glad to hear you got some skin on. I had mine set up as twin but since she is a little narrow, I went back to single.
    I suggest sealing with west systems marine epoxy, then filling with 1 lb us composite 2 part foam. Then sand down the top to the form you want and glue on the decking.
    If you want to chat on the phone about it, pm me your number and I can call you.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Thanks Jesse, it's actually the decking i'm talking about :) Sorry for my sometimes poor english to explain things. I've done the styrofoam part, made blocks and put them inside. So now i have more or less below the waterline skinned (as you said), so i guess my question are actually about the skin and decking.

I have the West Systems Epoxy, so that's been taken care of :)

I'm in Norway so i doubt you will do such a expensive phone-call :D

Will this one work on my boat? Looks like it has all i need except from the propeller

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110mm-rudder...item1e73b3a42c

Tried my boat in the bathtub today to see where it take in water (it's bound to do that the first time, right). I have painted it with 3 layers of west systems epoxy, not yet put on the decking so i still can get inside the hull. Red areas on this picture is where the water come inside so i have put casco superfix inside in every "intersection" where plywood edges are. Hopefully that will work, will do a new test tomorrow

leaks.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Viceguy View Post
    Tried my boat in the bathtub today to see where it take in water (it's bound to do that the first time, right). I have painted it with 3 layers of west systems epoxy, not yet put on the decking so i still can get inside the hull. Red areas on this picture is where the water come inside so i have put casco superfix inside in every "intersection" where plywood edges are. Hopefully that will work, will do a new test tomorrow

leaks.jpg
    I'd seal the seams from the outside too.

Will fill the outside with more epoxy in that areas, just need the superfix to cure first. I think that's the only option i have, if that fails then i will (maybe) use the boat to make a fiberglass plug for a future mold

Old thread but i figured i could update you all, and ask for advice. The boat are finished and the maiden voyage somewhat worked great except that the rudder servo burned. Which lead me to my question, what kind of servo do you guys suggest i use for the rudder. The one i had was rated at 6.4 kg and apparently it was not strong enough for the task.

Picture IMG_0666.jpg And a of the boat, maiden voyage

Hey Frankie, glad to see you stuck with it!
    Looking good, but I would try to loosen her up a little; kinda wet running.
    What angle do you have the strut?
    Where is your center of gravity?
    How much above your sponsons is the center of prop shaft?
    Are you giving your servo more voltage than it is rated for?
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Thanks Jesse :) Sadly English isn't my native language so i have no idea what you mean by "loosen her up a little".... also are you talking about the rudder when ask about the strut? Center of gravity i assume you mean the pivot point of the boat, that's at 57 cm from the front (total length of the boat including the rudder are 101 cm)

"How much above your sponsons is the center of prop shaft?" I assume you talk about below the hull when i have it lying upside down, which would be 2,5 cm

Servo are 6v (aka not the new 7,4V) and that's what the ESC are giving, i'm thinking more along the ideas that i need a stronger servo... a dealer here talked about one that are rated 25 - 35 kg (which really sound like overkill to me, but i'm a newbee).

I figured a picture would be better. I do see that the prop-shaft are angled a bit so i have adjusted that now... in case that's what you talked about. Now it's in the same line as the bottom off the boat. Cannot do it much more upwards as then the prop will hit the rudder part

boat rear.jpg
    Last edited by Viceguy; 08-13-2019 at 10:30 AM.

Sounds like you got my point, the front is being pushed into the water.
    Still need less angle, but have you tried it since the adjustments?
    Also those water pickups will lift the back and make the problem worse.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Nope, haven't tried it yet as we had days with rain here What do you suggest to do with the water pickups then, slide them up so the anglecut end are in the same height as the center of the prop?

I don’t use them like that. I like to make a hole and glue them in the hull near the back. They shouldn’t stick down, but I do angle them back to maximize intake.

Why don’t you use the rudder intake? Run it to esc then motor then out. Much better than external water pickups.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Ok, i've done now what you suggested on the cooling. In addition i have added a separate battery pack for the receiver. So in case it run out of motor power i can still (hopefully) get it to the shore as the rudder will still work and i know i can run the prop on short bursts.

Still waiting for weather good enough to do a new test
    Last edited by Viceguy; 08-17-2019 at 08:34 AM.

I finally got around to do a 2nd test run today. Wit the pickups removed (as suggested) the boat are more stable on the rudder and it also feel like it go faster. However on tight turns the front sort of tip down a bit. No video today sadly because i was all alone at the water.

It looks like the stern has got some serious damage, not sure how and why but i doubt this boat will sail anymore as to repair it will involve to cut off big parts of the stern, so might as well try to find me a fiberglass hull to move all the stuff into instead.

was the damage at the rudder mount? Post a pic if you want help analyzing.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Yes, as you see here it has broken loose from both the top and bottom part
    20190827_120907.jpg

Does your rudder have a soft screw where it can swing up if it hits an o deject in the water? Use a plastic or brass screw instead of steel.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Nope... never had such a ting on any of my boats.... which has been RTR boats, but i know it hasn't hit the ground on that water i drive in

Hi All - Sorry for digging this thread up from the grave but im searching for a set of cat plans - Im hoping lomdel or Jesse J are still around & could possible share a set in PDF ?

Looking to build 20 to 22" & also like the look of lomdel's 810mm plans with the tilted motor mounts.. I can scale so size doesnt really matter.

Thanks
    Dave
    Last edited by synrgy; 10-05-2021 at 08:44 AM.

have been seaching around for a set of cat plans and just came across this thread. no its old but would sure like to get a set. if theses not available does anyone know where i could find some. looking to buils 4s 4082 setup . tks AL

Quote Originally Posted by a53hoop View Post
    have been seaching around for a set of cat plans and just came across this thread. no its old but would sure like to get a set. if theses not available does anyone know where i could find some. looking to buils 4s 4082 setup . tks AL
    I have some pdf plans for a 30" cat. PM me your email and I can send them to you. I can't upload them here as the files are too big.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112