Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don't want u-joint any more!

Default I don't want u-joint any more!

Hey guys whats up I'm a newbie on the fourm but I'v been in the rc hobby for years. I know I should have purchased the BlackJack26 first instead of the apache but I can't help modding things. I've already blown up the stock esc and the stock brushed motor with my 3s 5000 maxamp. I then installed a traxxas 14.4v Tatian motor which I soder brass tubes for water cooling to the brushed ends with help alot. I even got to run 4s 2000mah with the traxxas 16.8v esc which really made the body move but the motor is starting to smell, it just can't handle it.

Needless to say I have a 2600kv water cooler brushless 540size with 1/8 motor shaft motor and 60a water cooled esc on order for this boat. But I know I can install everything as is but I'm going to destroy the u-joint with 3s or 4s if not the first time out. So.... I know nothing about flex shafts and the like. Is there a kit that comes with everthing I need to change over? I just don't what to piece things out, I want something that is made for this size boat and wouldnt need major modding. Please guys point be in the right direction
    Last edited by brad65; 04-12-2009 at 01:56 PM.

Hi Here is what you can do look through this and on page 2 there is the size cable and tubing that i used shown on my order list.

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ead.php?t=1667
    :p What go faster that's what I like to do!
    Custom RC radio steering grips
    WWW.PPRSLOTS.COM

I'm now more comfused LOL. I will try to read though and figure out what your using. So there is not a kit per say yet that comes with everything?

When I converted my Kyosho Hurricane to brushless I was worried about the u-joint as well so I picked up another graupner coupling just in case. I am running a KB45/100 amp esc/detongued X645 and the spare is still in the case. It tends to spin out now in turns but I have not had any problems with the coupling.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Set it up right. New strut, rudder and flex cable with coupler and you will have a good set up. Any steerable strut is not worth having unless you plan to stay at 16 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by brad65 View Post
    I'm now more comfused LOL. I will try to read though and figure out what your using. So there is not a kit per say yet that comes with everything?
    It's not as bad as it seems. If you have any questions or issues, We're here to help.
    "A quick temper will make a fool of you soon enough."
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Bruce Lee. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/...pner_1159.html

how about this will it work with this boat?

Ok guys, I got my 2800kv bushless motor and 60amp esc after an hour of esc programing LOL. I took to the water. OMFG! this thing is down right sick with a 3s 2200mah battery. The only thing that gets warm is the battery. I need to keep the ass from kicking out and uncontrolable at high speeds. I also own a SV27 that I run on 4s total lipos, and this is almost or as fast. I'm very happy for once I did something right LOL. I thought the gear would crap out but I'm still using a Octure Y534 Plastic prop its same size as stock I believe. I purchased a stock blackjack prop but I'm scared to try it, this thing is a missle as is. Ok now someone please steer me in the right direction with some turn fins etc. Will this kept the ass end stable? Should I just make something similar to the blackjacks fins? Any help would be great, thanks guys.
    Last edited by brad65; 04-09-2009 at 11:12 PM.

Turn fins may help a little, but as Jeff mentioned a few posts ago, the outdrive has to go! The directional thrust of an outdrive on a RC sized boat just can't turn effectively at these brushless speeds. That being said there are exceptions, but they are very expensive (i.e. MHZ).
    I am in a similar situation as you are, my Apache has a Feigao 10L 2458kv on 3S 4500mah 20C with a 70amp ESC and currently a x534 plastic as well. I rarely bring mine in right side up. I make good use of my rescue boat.

I'm having a blast with mine. I've run it for friends and family and everyone thinks it's faster and more controlable than my sv27. Granted I haven't tweeked the sv yet. But so far I can't complain about the u joint holding up. I really wanted to change it but not any more just isn't worth it on this weak very light plastic hull anyway. I think since its so damn light in weight you can get away with a small prop which saves the u joint. If I get a bj26 down the road I'd up grade to. A flex shaft.

Hi Guy's ...you guy's with the brushless systems I have a ? for you.... I don't want to run 3S only 2s and 6 cells... what motor should i get a 3500KV or up tawards a 4100KV?

Thanks
    WWW.PPRSLOTS.COM

I would say the the second one would be closer to the target 30,000 rpm - but I could be wrong about this.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Quote Originally Posted by SweetZ28 View Post
    Hi Guy's ...you guy's with the brushless systems I have a ? for you.... I don't want to run 3S only 2s and 6 cells... what motor should i get a 3500KV or up tawards a 4100KV?

Thanks
    You might be right with a higher kv with a lower volt battery. Boy I need to make you guys a video with only a 3s 2200mah 25c/35c burst battery, 2800kv motor, & 60amp esc it not only is sick in speed I'm getting over 10 mins easy hard on the throtle. I'm gonna weight it today I'm thinking it weighs 2 lb's.
    Last edited by brad65; 04-12-2009 at 01:54 PM.

Lets see 4100KV X 7.2 =29.52RPM!! LOOKS PERFECT!!
    Whare do you get a cheap brushless ESC for a 4.000 something KV motor...what amp rate is needed?

THANKS
    WWW.PPRSLOTS.COM

Lets see 4100KV X 7.2 =29.52RPM!! LOOKS PERFECT!!
    Whare do you get a cheap brushless ESC for a 4.000 something KV motor...what amp rate is needed?

THANKS
    Z28,
    That setup looks like it should run good.
    I am not sure what brand motor you are wanting to run, but you will need to pick your ESC and battery around the max amps of the motor. Normally the higher the KV the higher the amp draw. If it is the Feigao 6L, it can draw up to 102 amps. I would recommend a 100amp ESC and a 7.4V 5000mah 20C battery.
    Brad65 had mentioned that his battery comes back warm and he is using a 2200mah battery at 25C which maxs out at 55amps and he is running a 2800kv motor.

As for cheap ESCs, you can normally score some cheap ESCs on eBay, but you may need to water cool them yourself. Just search for brushless ESC on eBay and you should find some good deals, under $30 shipped. Otherwise, go to the swap shop and put in a want to buy add for a ESC, you might find someone that might have something for you at a great price.
    In a straight line my Apache is a blast, it appears to be running around 35mph or better. I scored most all of my parts for it in the swap shop.
    Have fun!!!
    Brad

Thanks Brad... You know what i have a novak brushless system with a 4300 KV motor I may just try it out in the boat I wonder how it would work...Novak stated the 4300KV motor is like one of those good spec 19 turn brushed motors?

woner how these would work? they are cheap free shipping?
    http://swanghobby.com/product.php?pr...&cat=36&page=1
    http://swanghobby.com/product.php?pr...&cat=36&page=1
    WWW.PPRSLOTS.COM

Quote Originally Posted by FE Wannabe View Post
    Z28,
    That setup looks like it should run good.
    I am not sure what brand motor you are wanting to run, but you will need to pick your ESC and battery around the max amps of the motor. Normally the higher the KV the higher the amp draw. If it is the Feigao 6L, it can draw up to 102 amps. I would recommend a 100amp ESC and a 7.4V 5000mah 20C battery.
    Brad65 had mentioned that his battery comes back warm and he is using a 2200mah battery at 25C which maxs out at 55amps and he is running a 2800kv motor.

As for cheap ESCs, you can normally score some cheap ESCs on eBay, but you may need to water cool them yourself. Just search for brushless ESC on eBay and you should find some good deals, under $30 shipped. Otherwise, go to the swap shop and put in a want to buy add for a ESC, you might find someone that might have something for you at a great price.
    In a straight line my Apache is a blast, it appears to be running around 35mph or better. I scored most all of my parts for it in the swap shop.
    Have fun!!!
    Brad
    25c con 35c burst yup its the only thing that gets warm maybe 90 degree if that. I'll have to bring my temp gun next run, its windy as hell in Jersey this Easter LOL.

Its subject of higher kv motor with lower volt battery but higher mah's make me wonder which is better. Wouldn't you be better with less kv motor with higher volt battery. If someone could explain this to me I'd love to understand alittle more what is ideal for boat and the like.

I would think more voltage running though electronics and a hight reving motor would = more heat.
    WWW.PPRSLOTS.COM

Lower kv motors have much less amp draw. this equals less heat in cells and esc. high voltage/low kv is the way to go if you have room for the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumdog View Post
    Lower kv motors have much less amp draw. this equals less heat in cells and esc. high voltage/low kv is the way to go if you have room for the battery.

That makes sense. Going with a lower volt battery and higher kv motor your asking more amps from your battery which equals heat. Am I following you correctly?

Heres my video sad quailty carmera but I did it just to show you guys. My wife got to help me out video carmera girl LOL. Anyway this is my last video before the wind brought her back in hehe. I was trying to show the torque in this set up. This was 7 mins into the video and the battery still had plenty of power left for another 5 mins. Damn I just looked at the picture I have to convert all my traxxas plugs to dean soon I have to many batterys with different plugs. You guys are better at judging RC boat speed but I'm using the stock prop and I'm thinking it looks like I might be able to hit 30mph or more if I let it open up in a straight line? My buddy watched me drive my sv27 and he thinks this boat is faster, he thinks I'm doing 35, that would make me happy if I were but I just don't know. Does it look possible with this setup?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVRKENW55To

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se5KQWrq7EY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5wMsGO9vW4
    Last edited by brad65; 04-12-2009 at 07:06 PM.

WOW NICE!! i think does look faster than a stock Sv27!!

AreYou using stock drive gear?
    WWW.PPRSLOTS.COM

WOW NICE!! i think does look faster than a stock Sv27!!

AreYou using stock drive gear?

Thanks bro, I saw your theard and your running gear which looks good. Yes I'm running the stock running gear with octura blue plastic prop with is the same size as stock. I've own'd a shockwave 26 before and I ran a vxl system with a large metal prop which destroyed the u-joint (main reason I started this thread). I'm sticking with plastic props with stock hardware on this boat. I have a stock blackjack 26 prop which I know will make this thing even sicker but I don't think I have enough weight to keep this boat on the water plain and simple. So I'm unsure where I want to go with the boat as it sits. Do I stiffen up the hull, add turn fins and tabs and add weight to the boat then try different props. Or just drive and enjoy the boat, its fun! Speed is addicting, I went from stock motor/esc/battery to 14.4v custom sodered 550 brushed motor/16.8v esc on 4s battery to now true boat brushless powered system on 3s. Every time I'm getting faster and getting slowly used to the power and wanting more. Funny this esc can handle 6s. Humm I wonder how it will run on 4s hehe LOL.... Wow boat are fun, I hope this site gets busier.
    Pro Boat Apache 24 Brushless, Thunder Cat 31
    AquaCraft SV27, AqauCraft UL-1

I think i may put my novak brushless 4300KV in this boat... I have a 40MM carbon fiber prop on it now...who knows what it will do!
    WWW.PPRSLOTS.COM

I think i may put my novak brushless 4300KV in this boat... I have a 40MM carbon fiber prop on it now...who knows what it will do!

That sounds huge? Isn't the 40mm 1.5? Whats the stock prop size for the apache again 1.3 something?

Z28,

Brad65 is right, the 40mm prop is too big for a 4300kv motor. You will want to start small, in fact the stock prop may even be too big. Your prop will determine how many amps you will pull out of any setup. You always want to start small and check your temps often. Your first run, use a stop watch and run it for no more than 45 seconds to 1 minute and bring it in to check your temps. If it is not hot run it for another minute to minute and a half and check again. Take it easy up front until you get it dialed in. This boat is a handful at these speeds.
    Also be careful when using car/truck motors and ESCs in boats, they are not designed to run the way boats are used. You would really never run your truck at full throttle for 5-10 minutes even when racing, but that happens all the time with a good handling boat. You need to size your ESC and battery for the max amps of your motor, because often enough that will be what you are continuosly pulling.

Thanks for the help...maybe i will hold off on brushless in this boat for a little while... I do run the CF 40mm prop with the stock motor and had no problems?
    WWW.PPRSLOTS.COM

For example the blackjack 26 comes with a 1500kv motor and 1.57 prop I might be off alittle on the numbers but u get the idea. Oh and that's on 4s ish cell size battery. So I didn't want to say it but I also agree that 4300kv is to high of kv motor. I will never be able to reach that rpm so it will be a major amp/load

Guys if u watch my videos u can see my boats speed what should I do for more speed? ESC timing, prop, battery mah or volts (4s)?

Quote Originally Posted by brad65 View Post
    For example the blackjack 26 comes with a 1500kv motor and 1.57 prop I might be off alittle on the numbers but u get the idea. Oh and that's on 4s ish cell size battery. So I didn't want to say it but I also agree that 4300kv is to high of kv motor. I will never be able to reach that rpm so it will be a major amp/load
    I am not sure you are right about this? 4300 X7.2= 30.96RPM Now you have 2800KV X11.1V= 3108Rpm looks about the same RPM you just have to run 11.1v so if i use a 4300 and a small prop like you are using it should work i think.
    WWW.PPRSLOTS.COM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast