Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Replacement UL-1 arrived today....WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by skibo2 View Post
    I feel sorry for all of us that have lost time and money over the UL-1 QC issue but if you really want to feel sorry for people taken to the cleaners over Chinese produced inferior products you should hear what has happened here in Florida with Chinese made dry wall. During the recent hurricanes here in Fl in the past couple of years there was a dry wall shortage for the building industry and the builders purchased shiploads of dry wall from china. Well the product was manufactured with cheap material that did not measure up to spec. for water repellant and mold resistance. Now after two years in the homes the moisture has grown so much mold that the homes and business's are uninhabitable and have to be gutted or completely rebuilt to get rid of the problem and no builders warranty or manufacturers warranty to cover the cost. No insurance either so individuals have to cover repairs themselves with repair costs in the hundred of thousands of dollar ranges. So you think you have a problem? It could be a lot worst.
    I like good quality products at an affordable price just like the next guy, but I have to say that just because the product is Chinese, it does not have to necessarily mean that it's inferior quality, it should still meet USA quality standards.
    You specified a couple of things here that will be a good example of what I am trying to say. In the UL's case, sure the boat has some issues, most RTRs do, it's done in a "light" manner so it can be affordable as an RTR... it is breaking down, that's for sure, from turn fins to misshaped hulls there are many problems. Now, who's fault is this? Is it the Chinese manufacture that built this hulls in 3 seconds a pop or the company that does not check it's own product out of the assembly line and whips the foreign manufacture into shape or even checks the final product prior of shipment to the customer?
    In the case of the homes built post tragedy in FL... sure the dry walls came from China, they had the best price, did anyone check for quality before buying them? One other thing, since I am in the process of buying a house now, I am going through a great learning curve as far as building goes... that being said, are we sure that the contractors followed code and had the stucco screed installed properly? My house inspection said it was installed properly (to old code, no screed). Without the screed, stucco cannot breath properly and get rid of humidity, then generating rot, mold and all sorts of nasty stuff... I am not trying to protect the foreign companies, just making sure that things are seen the way they should be seen (in my book).
    There are always 2 sides to the story, it's easy to point out to someone else, but sometimes the problems are inside our own house and it's up to us to keep this sorta inside problem from happening thus making us happy.
    Just my 2 cents.
    :::::::::::::::. It's NEVER fast enough! .:::::::::::::::

I tried to tell everyone two years ago when the great NW aquacraft rammer was in infancy.. WTF... RTR people are easy come easy go, especially when thier running a POS!

Doozie, telling people is all cool, no need to fly of the handles because THEY did not listen...
    The bashing does not go anywhere, it's offensive to many...
    then again, you can do whatever you feel like, freedom of speech is still in place, I am merely stating my opinion.

Your absolutly right, I apoligize to the NW AQ rammers and thier followers, sorry its a POS.

Lol

Well Not all companies tech support or service is bad. I bought a Novak SS brushless motor speed control packeage for my Rustler many years ago and the magnet came off the shaft after two years of constant abuse by me. when I called them they said it was a manufaturing flaw and had me send it in. they sent me a new one and they sent my Sermos connectors still on the old wire from the previous speed control!! It was out of warranty too and they still made it right! That is customer service! and honesty.

You are 100% right, not all are bad... and I am not saying that...
    all I am trying to convey is, a little research to figure out where the problem actually is, prior to pointing fingers, goes a long way.

The real test to see what kind of a company they are will be to see what they will do for those who have already bought the UL-1 when they get this boat fixed.

jim
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

I am a production manager and belive me Q.C. is what I loose sleep over. It can make or break you. I have to listen to customer complaints and find out why there is a problem and was it a one time or ongoing. So I agree with you ubhualed that there should be an investigation and some policy or standards put into place that are enforced. Since I supply big companies like Walmart you bet your tailfeathers they don't tollerate screwups in manufacturing! find the source of the problem and elliminate it if you want to still be in bussiness tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by JimClark View Post
    The real test to see what kind of a company they are will be to see what they will do for those who have already bought the UL-1 when they get this boat fixed.

jim
    and hope it's soon!
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

I agree with Jim (and others), if they are the company we hope they are, they should take action really soon in this regards (and inform us), if AQ comes to show us that they just care for a quick buck, well... I ain't no guru but I think that we won't be buying from them anymore.
    Last edited by Ub Hauled; 04-01-2009 at 05:09 AM.

i would agree UB if they fail then I would be pissed for sure. Personally I don't like buying the first of anything that is a new product. I bet you that there will be changes on the ProBoat Elam to solve manufacturing problems also.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Ub Hauled View Post
    I agree with Jim (and others), if they are the company we hope they are, they should take action really soon in this regards (and inform us), if AQ comes to show us that they just care for a quick buck, well... I ain't non guru but I think that we won't be buying from them anymore.
    Billy Graham

Ub

we have no stucco or screed involved with our interior walls here in Florida...all we do is apply dry wall to either wood or metal studs (Drywall is a common building material typically made of a layer of gypsum plaster pressed between two thick sheets of paper, then kiln dried. Drywall is used globally for the finish construction of interior walls and ceilings.) this drywall we got from china should have had some sort of product approval before they where allowed to sell it to us...someone or many pocketed some big coin for allowing it to be sold here before being tested and approved and now the owners of those homes are suffering big time

back on track here..whats happening with aquacrafts denial of liability here is inexcusable..there is no way you should have to pay to send a bad product back to the people that sold it to you...totally unacceptable

Quote Originally Posted by Ub Hauled View Post
    I like good quality products at an affordable price just like the next guy, but I have to say that just because the product is Chinese, it does not have to necessarily mean that it's inferior quality, it should still meet USA quality standards.
    You specified a couple of things here that will be a good example of what I am trying to say. In the UL's case, sure the boat has some issues, most RTRs do, it's done in a "light" manner so it can be affordable as an RTR... it is breaking down, that's for sure, from turn fins to misshaped hulls there are many problems. Now, who's fault is this? Is it the Chinese manufacture that built this hulls in 3 seconds a pop or the company that does not check it's own product out of the assembly line and whips the foreign manufacture into shape or even checks the final product prior of shipment to the customer?
    In the case of the homes built post tragedy in FL... sure the dry walls came from China, they had the best price, did anyone check for quality before buying them? One other thing, since I am in the process of buying a house now, I am going through a great learning curve as far as building goes... that being said, are we sure that the contractors followed code and had the stucco screed installed properly? My house inspection said it was installed properly (to old code, no screed). Without the screed, stucco cannot breath properly and get rid of humidity, then generating rot, mold and all sorts of nasty stuff... I am not trying to protect the foreign companies, just making sure that things are seen the way they should be seen (in my book).
    There are always 2 sides to the story, it's easy to point out to someone else, but sometimes the problems are inside our own house and it's up to us to keep this sorta inside problem from happening thus making us happy.
    Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by bustitup View Post
    Ub

we have no stucco or screed involved with our interior walls here in Florida...all we do is apply dry wall to either wood or metal studs (Drywall is a common building material typically made of a layer of gypsum plaster pressed between two thick sheets of paper, then kiln dried. Drywall is used globally for the finish construction of interior walls and ceilings.) this drywall we got from china should have had some sort of product approval before they where allowed to sell it to us...someone or many pocketed some big coin for allowing it to be sold here before being tested and approved and now the owners of those homes are suffering big time

back on track here..whats happening with aquacrafts denial of liability here is inexcusable..there is no way you should have to pay to send a bad product back to the people that sold it to you...totally unacceptable

I didn't mean it that literally, I was merely exemplifying what is going with me and project it into this problem... but I think you got the idea.

I love my UL-1...the "Miss Duct Tape"

The one sort of positive to come out of all this trouble is that Grim built a race boat style rtr. What that does is make it easier for the customer to follow the building style and transfer the items to a new hull if need be. Because lets face it, if someone tries to buy everything BUT the hull, it will add up to about the cost of the complete rtr boat.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Quote Originally Posted by Doozie870 View Post
    Honestly aquacraft/grim raper/NW ramrod fools are no longer needed..
    Thanks Jim,
    One things for sure, the Grim Raper struck gold when he found your club!!
    I tried to tell everyone two years ago when the great NW aquacraft rammer was in infancy.. WTF... RTR people are easy come easy go, especially when thier running a POS!
    Your absolutly right, I apoligize to the NW AQ rammers and thier followers, sorry its a POS.
    Sorry Doozie, but I have to ask; do you own a UL-1? Another question, what are you doing to help the boating community or solve the UL-1 problem? Personally attacking Mike (Grim), and calling him names isn’t doing anyone any good. Would you say that too him face to face? How many of you guys knew Mike (Grim) before he became an part of Hobbico/Aquacraft?

I have known Mike for several years, years before the Aquacraft days. For those of you that don’t know Mike has been an accomplished nitro boat designer and racer for many, many years. He’s designed and raced boats (more than one) that have won the IMPBA US-1 award. This is the most prestigious award for IMPBA boaters. He has successfully run his own RC boating business out of his own home. He has the upmost respect for all boaters. As for the people that know him the way that I do, we have the upmost respect for him too. He is the kind of guy that would give you any piece or part at a race to keep you on the water and racing. Attacking his identity and his character is getting out of hand.

The design is solid. The manufacturing process and QC has left a little to be desired, and has been well documented. Mike doesn’t have 100% control of these items. He can offer suggestions, but ultimately the “higher ups” will do what they want to do. I am confident in saying they are trying to fix the problem, with out even talking to Mike. I am also confident in saying that Mike will make sure this happens. Not because of people spreading his name in the dirt, it’s because he loves RC boats.

Give it a rest guys….

If anyone wants suggestions on up grading or fixing there hulls let me know. I am willing to help solve the problem, not complain about it.

Mike

Some rc products made in china are pretty good. Turnigy motors and esc's are an example.. Honestly aquacraft/grim raper/NW ramrod fools are no longer needed..
    Hey dude... my first inclination is to tell you to just stick it in your... but that wouldn't be very mature, so I'll refrain from taking that road.

No one was "ramming" anything... We announced a new product that was cool and in fact, fairly revolutionary to the market... We have no control over or insight into any quality issues... The two boats I got were fine, except for the turn fin area, which I then immediately gave a fix for. Why would we assume that the quality would be any worse than the SV was, which was acceptable for a RTR.

If you have a problem with the product, send it back or just don't buy one in the first place. No one forced you to do it, and there is NO way any of us could have forseen any kind of issues like you guys are experiencing. Your making this so personal toward the people out here is very childish and unbecoming and makes you sound like a 14 year-old on the RC truck boards who can't figure out why the steering arms on his Traxxas keep breaking when he rams the garage door at 25-mph...

And, by the way, I haven't said anything because I have no affiliation with AQ and never have, other than I know a few people there and was given inside info on a new product, and I've been paying attention to other things. My official affiliation, since making the official announcements for the UL1, is with Horizon Hobby and ProBoat, so it wouldn't be ethical for me to comment at this point on the quality or design of the AquaCraft stuff. Mike and AQ are the appropriate people to address that issue.

Bitch about the boat all you want, but keep us out of it. All we did was say it was here and it was cool, both of which are very true.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Darin, Are you affliated or not? I see a couple We's in there. ....you were more of the help fixing than anyone. People should be thanking you for taking the time for real fixes. Good job.

I have not seen your name mentioned in this. Nobody is bashing you or Mike...well one did which was uncalled for.

"We announced a new product that was cool and in fact, fairly revolutionary to the market... We have no control over or insight into any quality issues... The two boats I got were fine."

"And, by the way, I haven't said anything because I have no affiliation with AQ and never have."

I love these little funny things on the side>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wohlt View Post
    I have not seen your name mentioned in this. Nobody is bashing you or Mike...well one did which was uncalled for.

"We announced a new product that was cool and in fact, fairly revolutionary to the market... We have no control over or insight into any quality issues... The two boats I got were fine."

"And, by the way, I haven't said anything because I have no affiliation with AQ and never have."

I love these little funny things on the side>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Jeff... I'm referring to the "NW Aquacraft rammers" comments... "Northwest", clearly meaning Brian, Me, and those in our club... who first announced the release...
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

The point of this thread was that Aquacraft have been very quiet on known issues. They are not stepping up to the plate and addressing the issues. As, has been stated many times Mike/Grim is not responsible for the manufacturing process. The UL-1 is a great design and with modifications also a sturdy hull. The point is that many newbies will run this boat with no prior inspection and may be very disappointed with the end result and FE boating. My 2 pennies.

EDIT

Note Grim I am still waiting for the call, but it is no big deal, as my UL-1 has all the mods that early buyers were recommending.

Douggie
    Last edited by Flying Scotsman; 04-01-2009 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
    The point of this thread was that Aquacraft have been very quiet on known issues. They are not stepping up to the plate and addressing the issues. As, has been stated many times Mike/Grim is not responsible for the manufacturing process. The UL-1 is a great design and with modifications also a sturdy hull. The point is that many newbies will run this boat with no prior inspection and may be very disappointed with the end result and FE boating. My 2 pennies.

Douggie
    very well put and just about sums this all up.....with that said I will say that Grim may have many many accomplishments in FE and rightfully so but I think his name is being somewhat tarnished here since his name is all over the advertising on a product that is being delivered sub-par with lousy QC and questionable customer service from retailers...if I was him I would be waking up my attorneys

Big enough companies make you sign releases in case damage is done to your reputation or if you come up with an idea you leave all rights to them. If not then Mike should be pretty upset that his name has been slandered and reputation scarred.

Yep, at least one free local call would be in order for me.

My guess is he is more interested in just getting the manufacturing issues solved than calling attorneys.

Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by bustitup View Post
    very well put and just about sums this all up.....with that said I will say that Grim may have many many accomplishments in FE and rightfully so but I think his name is being somewhat tarnished here since his name is all over the advertising on a product that is being delivered sub-par with lousy QC and questionable customer service from retailers...if I was him I would be waking up my attorneys
    Billy Graham

I'll ask him this Saturday.

Best of luck to everyone.

Mr Darin, looking forward to the pro boat rammer which is surely to come. Keep an eye on the chinese field/factory workers and this will not happen to you! My services are always available if you need them.

Grim, I have had no phone call as you suggested. I will now point out the issues...a badly designed/manufactured cooling can....poor structural hull strength..a suspect ESC.

Douggie

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
    Grim, I have had no phone call as you suggested. I will now point out the issues...a badly designed/manufactured cooling can....poor structural hull strength..a suspect ESC.

Douggie
    Come on Doug. I think this has been said over and over. Grim knows his customers are complaining about this.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Steven, the fact was he said I will give you a telephone call. Aquacraft have not answered to percieved problems and I have not received a call from Mike. The boat is still, I think sound after the mods, but running it will tell the truth.

Douggie

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast