Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Replacement UL-1 arrived today....WTF?

Default Replacement UL-1 arrived today....WTF?

Reference thread http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/for...ead.php?t=6675

Seriously... I get a damaged one, it takes over a month to get a replacement (FROM GREAT PLANES), now look at this one?!

It looks like maybe even the same one with "attempted" repairs or something? Tell me, is this what I'm supposed to expect for Aquacraft quality? Man oh man.... now what? Just deal with it? Am I being too picky here or what?
    Attached Images Attached Images

More..

Wait till you run it a couple of times. The hull really starts breaking up! Great design, Shiity manufacturing. No quality control. Mine is a turd. Guess I've gotta eat it on this one huh?

I feel sorry for you! You must have gotten the wrong RTR. Not ready to race, nor ready to run, maybe ready to repair.

Thats just insane! I would be sendin it back again. No your not being picky at all. You want what you pay for.
    Many issues!!!

Yip..send it back or get a refund.

Mine was not perfect but was nothing like that.

The hull is cracking in numerous places on mine now. Some of it was caused by me but the sponsons are flexing and causing cracks, the turn fin area has problems, a crack behind the sponson and the tunnel just behind the leading edge is insanely thin flexing and cracking. Mine is literally being held together with glue and clear packaging tape along the leading edge. I have hull leaks I can't even locate and have to use the drain plug after each run.

It's a shame because this boat has really grown on me. If AQ doesn't want to sell replacement hulls...I will be forced to move my hardware into the Vac-u- Pickle at 1/3 the cost of a new UL-1.

http://www.vac-u-boat.com/Vac-U-Pickle.htm

feel bad for you dude, i must have gotten one of the first batches cause mine looks almost perfect. reinforced the turn fin area thats about it, seams look perfect.......... BUT and one big BUT........ it hasnt been in the water yet! we will see

Hmmm, i've been reading lots on the Vacu-Pickle. These hulls seem to be pretty damn nice! That hardware transfer is starting to sound really good! I'm getting tired of a new leak every time i run my Ul-1. How is the turn fin mount area on the Vacu-Pickle?

Quote Originally Posted by Rumdog View Post
    Hmmm, i've been reading lots on the Vacu-Pickle. These hulls seem to be pretty damn nice! That hardware transfer is starting to sound really good! I'm getting tired of a new leak every time i run my Ul-1. How is the turn fin mount area on the Vacu-Pickle?
    The pics show a 3/16" hot pressed mahogany ply bulkhead backing the sponsons there. You could probably get Phil to double it for ya or if you put the kit together, do whatever you want. My question is if you get the pre-assembled hull, how do you secure the hardware (fins,struts...etc) ...wood screws?

Yea...it looks real tempting.

How is the turn fin mount area on the Vacu-Pickle?
    I have one that I am putting together right now, and for some reason this area is flexing a little too much for my liking. I am going to try a different fin mount first. Hopfully a larger surface area on the sponson transom will help.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Crash View Post
    My question is if you get the pre-assembled hull, how do you secure the hardware (fins,struts...etc) ...wood screws?
    I am using #4 wood screws for the strut bracket and #6 wood screws for the Speedmaster rudder. For mounting these two, you can use thru holes and lock nuts if you prefer. However, mouting the turn fin will require wood screws.

At least with the Vac-u-boat material you don't have to worry about cracks with a little flexing!

I have a Vac-u-pickle... she's great! Mine came assembled and wood screws on the sponsons are a good idea, on the hardware nut's n bolts will do or even blind nuts.
    One think you'd have to do to get the top performance is "sharpen" the edges, that's all I did and she goes...
    The fact that you got two pickles is bothersome.... try talking to Mike if you really want this hull otherwise return it, get a Vacu Pickle or even an Elam, that's what I'd do.
    :::::::::::::::. It's NEVER fast enough! .:::::::::::::::

Guys use the Fullers standard strut bracket for the turn fin on the Vac- U-Pickle and you won't have any problems. See attached pics.
    Another caution you want to consider is removing the brass shear screw in the rudder and replace it with a nylon screw or small wire tie.
    I use #6 wood screws on all the hardware and haven't had any problems, I can't tell you how many of these I have built. Bunches!!!

Doug
    Last edited by Doug Smock; 03-25-2009 at 12:35 PM.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Hey Doug, do you think that the hardware from my Ul-1 would work well with this hull?

Hey Doug, do you think that the hardware from my Ul-1 would work well with this hull?
    I've only seen one up close and never really paid attention to the strut and rudder. You don't want to use the turn fin mount as it doesn't fit without modification and has a small footprint.
    Can you post a pic of the transom and give me an idea how tall the rudder and strut brackets are?

Doug
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Personaly on the original question, where is Aquacraft on the quality issue that was not Mike/Grims problem. You pay, you expect a product that is well built....Aquacraft where are you. Sorry to be a grinch but Aquacraft and their parent company has to address some problems. We await their CEO's answer.

Rumdog, have you built a hull before? We can help, if you have not

Douggie the Good
    Last edited by Flying Scotsman; 03-25-2009 at 06:03 PM.

If you haven't noticed he was here quite a bit until problems cropped up. After all it is HIS boat (design) and I would think he gets a cut from the folks that sell it. Things have been very quiet on their part since then.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Agreed, but I think Aquacraft have to respond not Mike. They have built some very interesting boats with the worst QC. I have adopted every update prior to launching..turn fin...integral hull strength and so on. This is not a RTR boat but very cool. I think?

What no Piper

Douggie

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
    Agreed, but I think Aquacraft have to respond not Mike. They have built some very interesting boats with the worst QC. I have adopted every update prior to launching..turn fin...integral hull strength and so on. This is not a RTR boat but very cool. I think?

Douggie
    Agreed ... it is a very nice design and fast! To date I have replaced the cooling jacket and reinforced the turn fin due to cracks - Darin's fix. But I have not run the boat enough to see if it will hold up over time. It seems from others experience that it doesn't and the boat has only been out 3 months.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
    Agreed, but I think Aquacraft have to respond not Mike.
    I am not saying Mike needs to answer to this issue... he may be of help making things happen with AQ... it's always better when you have an insider to get noticed outta the crowd.

Too true Jan, but the manufacturer has the last response.

Douggie

Uh, there is no "Aquacraft" per se. Aquacraft is not a company, it is simply a brand that was created by Hobbico. Much like "Great Planes" it exists only on the ledger books of Hobbico.

Mike has the title of "Designer" for the Aquacraft brand. Then there is an Aquacraft "Brand Manager", but I do not know who ultimately is responsible for the oversight of the actual manufacturing process or in the review of claims within Hobbico.

Hobbico is a fairly large company with a very structured chain of command. But if nothing else, Mike can help make sure the people who do make the decisions are aware of what is going on.
    Don't get me started

I have built a couple of scratch boats now. I've built a DF 26 mono, and a DF mini Vortex hydro. I had a sv27 for a while. I thought the build quality of that boat was pretty darn good for an rtr. So far the Ul-1 is definately not up to par. Aquacraft (on the phone) acted like they had not heard of any hull/esc issues at all. they did however state they are in the process of doing an upgrade water jacket. I've been into r/c for about 15 years now. Only about 2.5 years with FE boats, so I consider myself a noob still for sure. Everyone on this forum has been really helpful so far! That being said, I do know about Q.C. Aquacraft has major issues with theirs. Did they really think that the turn fin area needed no extra support? Do you really think that is how Grim built his prototypes?

Do you really think that is how Grim built his prototypes?
    Yes, well, at least according to the people that mass produce it.

I've been on and off with Pacific Coast Hobbies today (the company that I purchased this UL-1 from) and they insist that the issue is not with them -- I need to take it up with Great Planes. They say that they are helping but I haven't felt like it at all. It took a freaking month to get a replacement from Great Planes. They will NOT refund my money and insist that we'll be on bad terms if I dispute Paypal. Great.

Called GP today and talked to the distributor..The lady that I was supposed to talk to immediately transferred me to product support and I was on hold for over 20 minutes. I don't know guys.... I'm not getting the kind of customer service that I EXPECT and I'm not getting the kind of assistance that I expect from the hobby shop....

I don't have the kind of job that makes it easy for me to spend all day on the phone.. I have no access to my cell phone and very limited "outside" phone and internet access at work --- -the last thing I want is to spend days on the phone with these people when all they should do is inspect for a "good UL-1", send it to me and include a return label for the junk one... is that so hard?
    Last edited by VKGT; 03-25-2009 at 10:37 PM.

I feel your pain man... that is completely unprofessional... They should have an agreement with the local hobby shops to have this kinda exchange, it would make it a lot easier to everybody.

Douggie, asking for a response.

Thank you for your recent email.
    We do not reply to forum threads here at product support. However, I have passed your email and link on to Great Planes supervisors and management.

Should you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us at this email address. (Please be sure to copy all previous emails into any future questions.) You can also reach our product support technical team at 217-398-8970, or via fax at 217-398-7721.

Thanks Again,
    Lisa M.
    Product Support Technician
    PS9010
    NO AUTORESPONDE

Please view this site and respond to the site with a comment from a senior Hobbico executive. Not Aquacraft

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ead.php?t=7046

Thank you

Doug Torrance/ Flying Scotsman

Doug

Email me your phone number so i can call you.

grimracer@comcast.net

Thanks

Michael Zaborowski

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast