Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ammo

Quote Originally Posted by raptor347 View Post
    Douggie,
    ...... get rid of alcohol. How about making drivers licenses a bit harder to qualify for,
    I think they really should... once I was at the DMV and a lady that looked like 90 years old was there to renew her license... I asked the guy if she could actually do it and the guy responded: "as long as she passes the eye exam she can".
    DUDE! AN EYE EXAM!?!??!?! How about motor skills, reflexes or even strength to turn the fricking steering wheel?!?!?! There should be a qualification test for "more experienced" drivers as well! I am sure you all had an encounter of some kind with an older person driving... I remember this case a few years back, in Santa Monica, CA, there is a farmers market every Wednesday (maybe some other day), and this older gentlemen said he got confused, ran over one of those temporary barriers they put up to close the streets and once hit it, he realized what he had done, he got even more confused, hit the gas paddle instead of the breaks and ran over a dozen people... how nice is that...
    well, I am getting off topic here, sorry.
    :::::::::::::::. It's NEVER fast enough! .:::::::::::::::

This bill was shot down here in Indiana. It is no longer being considered. I didn't think it would hold any water here. Idiana has some pretty liberal(to take that word back) gun laws.
    MMGMMarine
    RobertsonRacing

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
    The second amendment was written in times that a militia may be required to defend a new nation. Today...rubbish

Douggie
    Doesn't matter. The Supreme Court last year ruled that the Second Amendment is not to be considered a "hunting guns" right, it is the right to bear arms, and many laws around the nation were invalidated by it.

What the left is doing now is in response to that decision. If they can't take the guns away, they are going to make it so that they can track every single round purchased. It's all about control. Watch Red Dawn - see where they begin rounding people up. That's exactly what their plan is.

Andy
    Spektrum Development Team

Andy, I love that movie. Never know.

I am with Brian...there are many that hunt with big hanguns.

After thinking what douggie said (and a call to Dr. Phil) about paranoid I got to thinking...why do I feel like I may want to defend myself. Here is what I grew up around...well a couple miles from it but we had breaks all the time. My buddy found one escapee in the basement of a house while checking the water meter.Made him give up his flashlight and some clothes but never harmed him.

Read this. It is now closed but may become a tourist attraction. We park our state cars there now and I get to look at it all the time. A tour to the gas chamber is a real rush. When I was a kid I can remember hearing a break on the news and Dad would lock everything and put a couple rounds in his 12 ga.

Missouri State Penitentiary - Jefferson City, MO

This prison opened in 1836 and seemingly underwent expansion ever since. In 1888, it was named the largest prison in the world. The facility promoted growth for Jefferson City through economy and prison labor. In 1954, an overpopulation and general decay of the building led to a three-day riot, which was only squelched by the National Guard. As result, four inmates died and the building sustained millions dollars worth of damage. It was decommissioned in October of 2004 and the inmates were moved to a new facility, but the building remains a target for future redevelopment plans. In its 168-year history, the penitentiary played host to various notorious criminals.

James Earl Ray
    One of the more infamous inmates incarcerated in the Missouri State Penitentiary was a smalltime criminal when he came there. James Earl Ray was a no-name crook that robbed a Kroger Grocery store in 1959. He was given a habitual offender status and sentenced to 20 years at the Missouri State Penitentiary. In 1967, Ray worked in the prison's bakery and managed to fit himself in a 4x4 box. Another convict covered the box with bread and it was placed on a truck leaving the prison. A cursory search by the guards turned up nothing suspicious and the truck was sent on its way. James Earl Ray escaped the Missouri State Penitentiary on April 23, 1967. Nearly one year later, on April 4, 1968, Ray would assassinate civil rights leader Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. in Memphis, Tennessee.

Charles "Pretty Boy" Floyd
    On September 11, 1925, Charles Floyd robbed a Kroger store/warehouse in Saint Louis, Missouri. One of his victims described him as a "pretty boy" and the name took. So did a jail sentence. He was handed a three and a half year sentence at the Missouri State Penitentiary. Once he left the prison, he headed to Kansas City and began to rob banks regularly and his legend grew. On June 17, 1933, it was alleged that Floyd with Vernon Miller and Adam Richetti, attempted to free their friend Frank Nash from federal custody. As result, four law officers and Nash would be killed in what became known as the Kansas City Massacre. Floyd denied any role in the Massacre. However, in October of 1934, he was tracked to a farm in Clarkson, Ohio where he was killed in a shootout with law enforcement.

Lee "Stagger Lee" Shelton
    On December 25, 1895, Lee Shelton would shoot and kill William "Billy" Lyons in a tavern in Saint Louis, Missouri. The crime would become the basis for the immensely popular murder ballad Stagger Lee. It took two trials, but the prosecutors were finally able to convict him and he entered the Missouri State Penitentiary on October 7, 1897. He was credited for helping prison officials capture a "systematic thief" and also had the support of several powerful Democrats in the state, which ultimately led to him being paroled around Thanksgiving of 1909. However, a little more than a year later, he would be convicted of robbery and assault and was returned to the penitentiary on May 7, 1911. This time, Shelton was sick with tuberculosis. After an attempt by the standing governor to pardon him for his crimes was thwarted by the attorney general, Shelton died in the prison hospital on March 11, 1912.

Sonny Liston
    In 1950, Liston was convicted of armed robbery in Saint Louis and sentenced to five years in the Missouri State Penitentiary. While in the prison, Liston took up boxing under the watchful eye of the prison chaplain. He would be paroled two years later. On September 25, 1962, Liston would knock out Floyd Patterson in the first round to become Heavyweight Champion of the World. He would hold that title for two more years until February 25, 1964 when he quit in his corner against the young Cassius Clay (who would shortly thereafter take the name Muhammad Ali).

A few years back a punk with a gun and gym bag tried to rob my jewelry store. Came in 2 days before Christmas and went right to the diamond case. There is well over 100k in diamonds in that case. He made the mistake of not keeping a good eye on me. Thankfully I am a NRA member and knew what to do. Lets just say he went running for his life. I know one thing, if I didn't protect my items and myself, no one else would have that day. By the way I was not insured. It would have been a gigantic blow to my business.

On a side note, he was an illegal alien from Mexico. His family said that he was just trying to get enough money to go back to Mexico
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

All I can hear you saying, Steven is "So...do you feel lucky, punk" I Always wanted that 44 mag but never could afford one.

Good for you...glad to know you are an NRA member and support our rights!

I knew you were an alright guy! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wohlt View Post
    All I can hear you saying, Steven is "So...do you feel lucky, punk" I Always wanted that 44 mag but never could afford one.

Good for you...glad to know you are an NRA member and support our rights!

I knew you were an alright guy! :)

It sounds like a bold / strong thing to do. But after it was all said and done that day, the police took my gun for forensic evidence(it was returned about 2 months later), my wife was scared to death with 2 small kids at home and I couldn't sleep for months. BUT I would do it again! The best part about the whole thing was that word travels fast, the local gangs knew that we were not going to sit back and take their crap. Some of them actually came in and asked me what happened.
    Steven Vaccaro

We have a nice indoor range here. I often wonder if I can do everything right if it ever happens. That is why training is so critical. 2 seconds you have to make a decision to draw and fire or just draw and see what happens...can you afford to make that decision to draw and hold? Not sure but my first instinct, based on the situation is draw and fire if he has a weapon like a gun...no if he only has a knife or it is a verbal threat.

What really gets thier attention is the little red lazer stuck on their heart area. :)

I only want to feel like I have a chance is all. We have had killings in our big college town MU (Big 12 Champs...yes!) where they came in...laid the emplyees on the floor and said they would not hurt them they then went and got the money and came back and shot them all laying on the floor. Happened at a gas station here as well.

As I learned in training....there is no more dangerous of a person than people that are desperate. Are these times considered desperate for many people...you bet. Just as I want to protect my family at no cost.....so do parents trying to feed their children. I would much rather give them money to help if that opportunity comes first.

Steven,
    It's sort of funny about gang members, they get almost respectful when they find out you will respond when pushed. We had a problem in our neighborhood for a while, it's not a problem anymore.

Jeff,
    You never know until it happens, lots of training gives you an advantage. I shoot everyday, even if it's only airguns at 10m in the garage.

Besides, it's fun.
    Brian "Snowman" Buaas
    Team Castle Creations
    NAMBA FE Chairman

Steven,
    It's sort of funny about gang members, they get almost respectful when they find out you will respond when pushed. We had a problem in our neighborhood for a while, it's not a problem anymore.
    I agree.

Jeff,
    You never know until it happens,
    I couldn't agree more. I have been target practicing and clay shooting since i was about 12 years old. Let me say its a whole lot different.
    Steven Vaccaro

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Vaccaro View Post

On a side note, he was an illegal alien from Mexico. His family said that he was just trying to get enough money to go back to Mexico
    What a shame, if he'd just asked you, I'm sure you would have taken him to the bus station and bought him a ticket.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by D.Smock View Post
    What a shame, if he'd just asked you, I'm sure you would have taken him to the bus station and bought him a ticket.
    How much $$$ does it take to go back to Mexico??? Just walk across the border you should not have crossed in the first place and presto....you are home!

Very interesting points. Steven if you pulled out a 12 gauge shotgun that would given the perp a few more moments to think I am dead....hand guns are a no no .

Douggie

Quote Originally Posted by Doby View Post
    How much $$$ does it take to go back to Mexico??? Just walk across the border you should not have crossed in the first place and presto....you are home!
    I was thinking the same thing... dude had he asked from money nicely I'd given him a few bux to go back home... hell, if he'd begged money for a week he probably would have flown home! Some people are plain and simply idiots...
    :::::::::::::::. It's NEVER fast enough! .:::::::::::::::

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123