Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Darin's ProBoat Miss Elam Race Prep

Quote Originally Posted by longballlumber View Post
    Darin,

Sorry if I missed it but, are you running 1P or 2P? What is your weight ready to run (w/batteries)?

Thanks
    Mike
    I'm running 4S1P Elite 4500 cells, 2S on each side of the motor... can't fit anymore than that, and those are stuffed in...

Not sure the final weight now... was right at 5.5lbs or so... I'll weigh it again... don't really care, to tell you the truth, because the heavier I've made it, the faster it goes...
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Thanks for the reply Darin,

I am looking for a basline for weight on the P powered "spec" hydro hulls. Even though I have room, I am limited to 1P. So, I don't have the option of the added battery weight in the front of the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by longballlumber View Post
    Thanks for the reply Darin,

I am looking for a basline for weight on the P powered "spec" hydro hulls. Even though I have room, I am limited to 1P. So, I don't have the option of the added battery weight in the front of the boat.
    Nothing wrong with 1P... Anything under 6lbs will be fine... I'm pretty sure mine is approaching that... I'll get an accurate weight hopefully tonight when I get home from work...

Like I said... each time I've added weight... it's gone faster around the course... Can't use the power if you are trying to keep the nose down all the time by having to back off the throttle...
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Darin, I have an older Bud version of this hull I think? Dan Proulx gave it to me. He'd ran it as a P-sport some years ago and it ran well. He got it as a bare hull and set it up as FE. It has some side-to-side structrual weakness in it that developed over time I need to fix. Probably just a carbon rod will do. I'm gonna check with this hull on sponsons etc. per your thread. Thanks for all the info. I may give that Bud a go with LSH for some experimentation.

I had a good idea, I think! At least it worked. I am a south Florida Distributor for Dyna Beads, ceramic beads used to balance tires on motorcycles and cars.

I poured 3 oz of beads into each of the sponsons with the boat standing on its nose. I then injected a small amount of epoxy down into the sponson on top of them to seal them in. It worked great and boat handles awesome. I wanted something that I could get as far forward as possible and this was it! And being Ceramic, they are heavy for the amount of media used.

I am running a Ammo 2300, Castle 120 speed control and a pair of 2S ThunderPower 5000mAh 45C batts. Just working on the prop dial in now.

Some very good info in this thread.

Hello Darin

I am building a miss elam. I got the hull with no Strut on the boat. So I going to use a strut off a ul-1. I cut out the brass tube out of the hull and going to replace it. I like know what is a good strut height to start with. Also replacing the motor mount with a adjustable 540 XL water cooled one. Do you think moveing the motor forward (1/4") in the hull would make the boat handle bad?

Yea I know this is an old stickied thread, long time reader... first time poster.

I run a lot of on road and off road track rigs and have a couple planes..... as for boats I've driven but never built. I too like above poster have a nitro bud that's been a wall hanger for a while and wanted to go to electric in it......... my shaft is a straight one with no strut.what's the go to and level of difficulty on getting a flex shaft set up in this rig? I have building skills on many levels just never done or set up anything in a boat.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345