Thread: Small Block Chevy Engine 1/4 scale

Default Small Block Chevy Engine 1/4 scale

Is there anyone here that has the capability of making a true 1/4 scale small block chevy engine for me to use in a California Crackerbox, I bought the plans from Glen-L and will be sheeting the bottom today. Just planning ahead for myself, if there is please contact me so we workout the details.

Thx, Mike
    20240423_104959.jpg20240423_105008.jpg20240423_105023.jpg20240423_104951.jpg

I'd be glad to 3D print this model in 1/4 scale as a kit. I'd use white PLA+ so you can paint it whatever color you want. The cost would be around $10 plus shipping.

Lohring Miller

Quote Originally Posted by lohring View Post
    I'd be glad to 3D print this model in 1/4 scale as a kit. I'd use white PLA+ so you can paint it whatever color you want. The cost would be around $10 plus shipping.

Lohring Miller

Hello Lohring,

The model you sent to me is very close to what I am looking for, but would prefer one with a single carb or dual carb and air filter, if you come across one of those it would be fantastic with me, your price is reasonable in my opinion. Let me know if you come across one.

Thx, Mike

Lohring,

Here are a couple pics of what I would really like, found them on https://www.yeggi.com/q/small+block+chevy+engine/

The first pic is my preferred choice.

Mike

painting#loaded error->painting#error" src="https://fbi.cults3d.com/uploaders/13427628/illustration-file/a9d459d3-9957-4a51-8bf1-357f516abf33/Tunnel-rammed-small-block-chevy001_03.png">

Lohring,

Here are a couple pics of what I would really like, found them on https://www.yeggi.com/q/small+block+chevy+engine/

The first pic is my preferred choice.

Mike

The model I suggested has a single 4 barrel carb manifold. I can probably find a carb and scoop to add. The model you suggest would be more expensive, but would not be a problem to print. Again, it would be a kit requiring finishing.

Lohring Miller

The model I suggested has a single 4 barrel carb manifold. I can probably find a carb and scoop to add. The model you suggest would be more expensive, but would not be a problem to print. Again, it would be a kit requiring finishing.

Lohring Miller
    Hello Lohring,

Could you give me a price for the first pic and also print it in aluminum color instead of white?

Mike

I have printed in Esun silver PLA+ and I would describe the color as grey, not silver. If you want a silver color I recommend Testors gloss metallic silver spray enamel over a white base. That's what I used for a Starship model. I printed a P38 in the Esun silver and it looks grey. I would charge $25 plus shipping for either color. Let me know.

Lohring Miller

I have printed in Esun silver PLA+ and I would describe the color as grey, not silver. If you want a silver color I recommend Testors gloss metallic silver spray enamel over a white base. That's what I used for a Starship model. I printed a P38 in the Esun silver and it looks grey. I would charge $25 plus shipping for either color. Let me know.

Lohring Miller

Lohring,

Sounds good to me, it would be 1/4 scale, correct? Is it made in multiple parts for me to assemble? Which is fine with me. How is the surface finish, fairly smooth or does it require surface finishing. Do you have a photo of an item that you have just finished?

Mike

My plan is to provide a many part kit. That allows you to easily finish and paint the various parts. There will be layer lines. Paint will disguise them to some degree. A high build primer can fill them, but is not necessary in my opinion. Let me attach some pictures. The first give you an idea of what the layer lines look like close up. The P38 shows what Esun silver color looks like. Here are some pictures of real race engines. They are painted with some silver parts. Finally, there is a picture of a painted 3D printed Nautilus. The layer lines disappear at a distance.

Lohring Miller
    Attached Images Attached Images

My plan is to provide a many part kit. That allows you to easily finish and paint the various parts. There will be layer lines. Paint will disguise them to some degree. A high build primer can fill them, but is not necessary in my opinion. Let me attach some pictures. The first give you an idea of what the layer lines look like close up. The P38 shows what Esun silver color looks like. Here are some pictures of real race engines. They are painted with some silver parts. Finally, there is a picture of a painted 3D printed Nautilus. The layer lines disappear at a distance.

Lohring Miller
    Hello Lohring,

Everything looks great to me, by what you say it will give me a chance to polish and paint the finished surfaces. Looks great. do you have the dimension info for a 1/4 scale chevy 350 v8? I found this info in a forum,

BLOCK (Bare)
    L=21
    H=12.25 (With main caps installed)
    W=17
    Height (Oil pan mating surface to top of block)=10
    Deck width=7.75

Heads (Steel GM)

W=7.5
    L=19.75
    Height (outside)=5

Intake (Edelbrock aluminum performer)
    W=9.75
    L=20.75
    H=4.25

HEI Dizzy with cap
    H=7.75
    D=5

Valve Cover (MT Aluminum Finned)
    H=3.5
    W=5
    L=19.75

Oil Pan (Stock stamped)
    L=21.75
    W=9.25
    Rear depth=7.5
    Front depth=5
    Rear step=8 from rear

Timing cover (Stock stamped)
    H=11
    W=8 (center)

Short tail TH350
    L=27.5
    W (Pan)=12

H=Height
    W=Width
    L=Length
    D=Diameter

Now, the question is how do I pay you for everything, I don't use paypal or any of the other digital pay scenarios. If you will take a check, I will send one to you and you ship when it clears the bank or however you see it. I don't know if it's legal to post my email address in here or my mailing address. Let me know how to proceed and I will take action to get you your payment. Great work on those pics...

Thx, Mike

The full size model I'm using measures 21.8 inches front to back compared to your 21 inches. I'll print it at 1/4 of that dimension in white (OK?) PLA+. I''ll PM you my address. Reply with your address so I can calculate the shipping.

Lohring Miller

These are the first parts.

Lohring Miller
    Attached Images Attached Images

These are the first parts.

Lohring Miller
    This nice, looking forward to seeing the rest.

Here we go. This is an exploded view with the parts in their approximate positions. I assembled the carbs on the manifold because the linkages and fuel lines are hard to figure out. Everything else fits as shown in the pictures.

Lohring Miller

Tunnel rammed small block chevy 0001_05.jpgP1010002.jpgTunnel rammed small block chevy 0001_06.jpgTunnel rammed small block chevy001_04.jpg

Here we go. This is an exploded view with the parts in their approximate positions. I assembled the carbs on the manifold because the linkages and fuel lines are hard to figure out. Everything else fits as shown in the pictures.

Lohring Miller

Tunnel rammed small block chevy 0001_05.jpgP1010002.jpgTunnel rammed small block chevy 0001_06.jpgTunnel rammed small block chevy001_04.jpg
    Hello Lohring,

Looks great, so what is the damage for the 3d printing and the shipping costs?? Will get a check out to you as soon as you tell me.

Thx, Mike