Thread: new build, looking for advise.

Default new build, looking for advise.

building a 50" flat bottom racing Garvey and need some suggestion on power. it is about 11 lbs. and 14" wide. looking for speed of maybe 25 to 35 mph. have never used brushless before. I have been told to try a 4092 in 930kv and a seal g2 esc- 200amp and a 6s lipo. Any feed back is greatly appreciated . Thanks ,Don

I think a garvey is a crackerbox style hull, right? 930kV and 6S voltage will net you only about 20K RPM loaded, which is a little low. You mentioned 25-35mph speeds. How long of a run time are you looking for? Are you racing this or just for fun?
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Default Garvey/ crackerbox

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    I think a garvey is a crackerbox style hull, right? 930kV and 6S voltage will net you only about 20K RPM loaded, which is a little low. You mentioned 25-35mph speeds. How long of a run time are you looking for? Are you racing this or just for fun?
    Thanks for your reply!! Yes like a cracker box and just for fun. Was trying to stay brushed but my quick enough. Thanks !

All of my 50"+ v-bottom hulls use 56mm brushless motors, but they're rigged for much more speed than 25-30mph. I suppose you'll be okay with a larger 40mm motor, but you'll want a little more kV. Normally something in the range of 1600kV, but with that sized hull, you're going to need to swing a larger diameter prop, like a 2114, so maybe more like 1200kV.

As for run time you'll probably want to run 6S2P to get more than 3-4min per charge. Two 6S batteries can get heavy depending on their capacity, so be mindful of your center of gravity with their placement inside the hull.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Awesome, thank you for your input much appreciated!!! Don

Go with a 56mm can at 850-950kv range if you are going 6s.

You would be better off using 500kv on 12 s though, you can prop appropriately for the speed you want, somewhere around X460, Prather 250-255. Lower kv and higher voltage means lower amps which is easier on everything and longer runtimes. An esc like the ZTW 160Hv G2 would suffice, although the 300A would be bulletproof.

1600 kv on 6s and a prop big enough to push that hull will need a 300A esc and be hard on batteries even with 6s2P. You will risk burning up motors and batteries.

BTW, I have a bit of experience with endurance setups which run lower kv setups.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Thanks for your input and I will consider your advice. Thanks again