Thread: Winding shorted and possibly broken

Default Winding shorted and possibly broken

I ran a recently finished boat this morning and after the first run I brought the boat in and smoke was coming out of the motor. I didn?t understand why and I was also confused because the motor still seemed to run fine, was a bit warm but otherwise fine. Got home and started pulling it out and realized one of the bolts holding on the mount was slightly longer and had pushed into the windings of the motor and crushed or possibly broke one of the windings. I can see one of the windings got hot but plugged it in again and motor acts like nothing is wrong and didn?t even get hot this time since the bolt wasn?t arcing on the windings. Is this motor completely wasted or what should I do?

There is a good chance the longer bolt could have caused a short to the winding as damaging the wire. If any dis coloration, blacken wire is a sign of damage to the motor. sounds like after changing this screw and motor seems like noting is wrong. there is a good chance the copper winding is damaged in the motor. Continued use will result in the motor running poorly, not efficient, Heat build up as extra resistance in that part of the winding . Once on the water and under load the motor may show a issue and being mindful the motor may have some issues and having to have the motor windings re wound or replacing the motor may happen at sooner time. My motors once i start seeing dis colored windings / or over heated. I will pull the motor out and send them in for re windings. As to avoid potential issues down the road

Or just keep running it till it fails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk