Thread: Boat Intermittantly Stalls when Running

Default Boat Intermittantly Stalls when Running

I have an older Blackjack 26, that was glow and has been converted to electric. It's running an AquaCraft 36-56-1800, 1800kV motor and a 90a SeaKing esc. Been running it on 4s.
    It will stall/stop for a few seconds when running. Sometimes it takes 5 sec to start back up, other times up to 15 seconds to restart. None of the components have any abnormal heat after running.
    What might be causing this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

First thing to do is verify the voltage of the batteries you're using. If they're older, that might no longer hold a full charge. The second half of that is to verify the discharge rate of the batteries in question. Using Lipos with too low of a discharge rate (especially when the ESC/motor is under full throttle) can cause the ESC...and, thus, the motor...to not receive the power it needs.

Second thing to check is the ESC programming. Seems possible (I might even say 'probable') that the LVCC is programmed for something lower than 4S (ie. 3S, or even 2S). I had this same problem (self-cause, due to my own forgetfulness) with one of my SonicWakes. I had been running it on 4S, but switched to 6S (and a smaller prop)...but, I forgot to change the LVC setting. I don't like using "Auto"...I always program the LVC.

If that doesn't solve the problem, next possible culprit could be the prop. If you're running a prop that's too large and/or too high in pitch, it could be leading to the motor pulling more power than the ESC can provide, causing LVC to kick in.

Either way, since you mention that it powers back up in 5 (sometimes up to 15) seconds, that definitely sounds like an LVC-related issue.

A 36mm motor is too small for a hull that size, in my opinion. On top of that, a 90A ESC is also too small for an undersized motor trying to pull too much current.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    A 36mm motor is too small for a hull that size, in my opinion. On top of that, a 90A ESC is also too small for an undersized motor trying to pull too much current.
    Sectionally agreed on the ESC being underpowered. But, don't think the motor is underpowered...tho, it might (not saying it 'is', only that it 'might' be a little short-of-length...but, 36mm can should be good. Remember, the original SonicWake...which is 9"longer...came with a 3674 1900kv motor. Maybe a 3660, or 3674?

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    Sectionally agreed on the ESC being underpowered. But, don't think the motor is underpowered...tho, it might (not saying it 'is', only that it 'might' be a little short-of-length...but, 36mm can should be good. Remember, the original SonicWake...which is 9"longer...came with a 3674 1900kv motor. Maybe a 3660, or 3674?
    Am I mistaken, is that hull not 55" long?
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Am I mistaken, is that hull not 55" long?
    26" long, 11.5" beam, 6.3lbs (with nitro engine)

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    26" long, 11.5" beam, 6.3lbs (with nitro engine)
    My bad, didn't know that boat came in two different sizes. Motor size is fine. Esc too small.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

ESC does not heat up at all. I can run hard for 10 min, and still no heat, in ESC or motor.

Motor might be on the way out. look at the back and see if there is any enamel cooking off. Up clos sniff test too...
    Nortavlag Bulc