Thread: Overcharging?

Default Overcharging?

So last night I was charging my batteries and I got the message that they overcharged. I have no idea what this means. How do they overcharge and can I stick them in the boat and go?
    Do something creative every single day!

Does your charger show the individual cell voltages when the pack balance lead is plugged in, or is it a no frills plug and play charger that comes with many entry level "ready to fly" Hobby shop models? Normal lipo cells should charge to 4.2V per cell max. There is also "HV" lipo chemistry which is becoming more popular, and those charge to 4.35V per cell. It would help if you would tell us exactly what charger and battery cell count you are using

Just be aware that overcharging a lipo is dangerous. You dont want an overcharged pack sitting around in your house, so you need to sort this out quickly!
    Last edited by Xrayted; 03-13-2024 at 04:19 PM.

Agree with above.
    Slight overcharge is not dangerously bad but not good either.

What lipo? What charger?
    Get a lipo checker ASAP. Yes, you can use it and I would do it quickly. Don't leave it overcharged.

Super frustrated can’t seem to post a picture. Tried it six times now the charger is a.Hitec RDX1 mini and the batteries are 5200 mAh 100c 14.8v 76.96Wh.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Do something creative every single day!

Ok, so you have a 4S pack which has a nominal voltage of 3.7V per cell when discharged, and 4.2V per cell when fully charged for a total of 16.8V when fully charged. It appears that the total pack voltage in the image is sitting at 16.08V which is not over charged for a 4S pack

You should be able to scroll to a screen that shows the individual cell voltages, not just the total. Find that screen, and make sure none of the cells are above 4.2V when fully charged. The total voltage appears to fine however, it is possible to to have some cells undercharged and other over charged, yet still equal the total voltage making it appear that all is OK when it really not, and this is why you need to be looking at the individual cell voltages to make sure

Quote Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
    Ok, so you have a 4S pack which has a nominal voltage of 3.7V per cell when discharged, and 4.2V per cell when fully charged for a total of 16.8V when fully charged. It appears that the total pack voltage in the image is sitting at 16.08V which is not over charged for a 4S pack

You should be able to scroll to a screen that shows the individual cell voltages, not just the total. Find that screen, and make sure none of the cells are above 4.2V when fully charged. The total voltage appears to fine however, it is possible to to have some cells undercharged and other over charged, yet still equal the total voltage making it appear that all is OK when it really not, and this is why you need to be looking at the individual cell voltages to make sure
    Agreed. Faulty balance plugs or corroded connectors on those plugs can cause false individual cell readings, leading to a possible over voltage warning.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Agreed with all of the above.
    Suggest to get a balance cable extension, much easier to deal with. Probably unrelated to what you are seeing but fiddling with the balance plug is never fun when there is no room on the charger.

Balance extension or balance board example:
    https://www.amazon.com/FLY-RC-Expans...s%2C105&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/SoloGood-Sili...s%2C105&sr=8-5