Thread: M41 catamaranM41 catamaran has a sudden been shutting down once you go to punch it

Default M41 catamaranM41 catamaran has a sudden been shutting down once you go to punch it

I have the traxas M41 catamaran.. It has all of a sudden been shutting down once you go to punch it for full throttle. It will cruise around at just under half throttle and once you punch it just falls on its face and dies. I've tried resetting everything I even called traxxas to have them help me reset everything but it still does it. It now has a solid red light on the ESC.. It also just recently had steering issues.. Whenever you hit the throttle it doesn't want to steer but if you are just floating in the water with no throttle it'll turn just fine.
    Charles Ellis

What batteries are you using? Still on the stock prop?

On the steering, try turning down/off TSM. Don't know why they put that on a boat.

what's the state of the batteries if they can't deliver the power you need every thing acts funny and have you checkt the esc?

Likely the low voltage cutoff within the ESC being tripped due to batteries that are no longer able to sustain voltage under load and are sagging badly below the LVC voltage setting and tripping the ESC to shutdown. Easy to determine if this is the case or not by shutting off or lowering the LVC voltage setting in the ESC, and see if the issue stops happening.

Another possibility is the ESC is being overheated and going into thermal shutdown. Running any boat at half throttle for long periods of time is terrible for for the electronics. Brushless motors and ESCs are most efficient, and run coolest at 100% PWM output. 50% throttle is the worst place to run any brushless setup for any type of RC model for long periods, as battery ripple is the highest at 50% PWM, and high ripple is what cooks the caps and causes the electronics to overheat or burn

My first guess is that its most likely the ESC LVC tripping with the sudden load that the ESC cant handle, especially if it doesnt trip if you slowly roll the throttle in and run up to full throttle rather than just suddenly hammering on it

And for the solid red light you may have turned off low voltage detection.

Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk
    Attachment 178851

Quote Originally Posted by Terettly View Post
    I have the traxas M41 catamaran.. It has all of a sudden been shutting down once you go to punch it for full throttle. It will cruise around at just under half throttle and once you punch it just falls on its face and dies. I've tried resetting everything I even called traxxas to have them help me reset everything but it still does it. It now has a solid red light on the ESC.. It also just recently had steering issues.. Whenever you hit the throttle it doesn't want to steer but if you are just floating in the water with no throttle it'll turn just fine. slope
    A solid red light on the ESC indicates an error with the ESC. This error can cause the ESC to suddenly power down when you press the throttle all the way, resulting in your boat coming to a stop. You can take your boat to a professional repair shop for diagnosis and repair.