Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Now accepting Canard plans

Paul, do you own any other Canards? > just out of curiosity
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

Hi Ben.
    No, that's the only one.
    Oh, the sketch book is mainly just a few Navy stealth ships that I've drawn up from photos & artists impressions in Navy magazines.
    I do a lot of scale/semiscale modeling too.
    You're right Simon, Mostly in the head with a few sketches to get the proportions to look right.
    All the best.
    Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by 785boats View Post
    Oh, the sketch book is mainly just a few Navy stealth ships that I've drawn up from photos & artists impressions in Navy magazines.
    Well, you can't blame me for trying to get a copy!
    IMPBA: 7-Time FE World Record Holder "Don't think outside the box. Rather, refuse to admit that the box exists in the first place!"

MGM Controllers - Giant Power Lipos - ML Boatworks - Wholt's Wire Drives & Struts - Nano-Oil

Ben, here are some pics that I took today, I was unable to paint the dimensions on them as I hoped to.
    You can use these pics as a guide to some of the proportions of my layout.
    This is not a perfect hull so to copy it excactly would be a mistake.

When I began the design and build I had a couple of pics of Pauls boat, not as good as the ones he has put here and a couple of pics of a H&M Thunderbolt.
    The rest was sketch and go.

I will measure up some of the key points and list them such as sponson dihedral and AoA.

You can design and build a Canard, Paul and I did and so did Ken Joye ( I think) on rrr.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    See it....find the photos.....sketch it it....build it........with wood

More...

More pictures!!! Thanks Simon!

Any idea where this picture came from that is featured on Steven's site under Tips & Info?

canard1.JPG

Cool, my viewing pleasure is fulfilled.

It seems a little pricey though. Who is manufacturing this item? Do you know?

Arrow Shark is the manufacturer. In China I think.
    They make a few different hulls & lots of accessories. Give them a Google.
    It's a big hull at 45" & designed for I.C. engines. I mainly posted it as another aid in your design work because there are some good views of it in the ad.
    Here it is at a store in the U.S.A. A bit cheaper too as it's hull only. And three pages of accessories too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/45-Arrow-Shark-R...742.m153.l1262

For anyone interested in Australia, R/C Boatbitz (in Adelaide) stock Arrow Shark hulls & accessories. Good people to deal with.

http://www.rcboatbitz.com.au/

Still can't find any drawings on the "Wide Wide World of Web". There must be some somewhere.
    Cheers.
    Paul.

Great info, thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Meniscus View Post
    Any idea where this picture came from that is featured on Steven's site under Tips & Info?

canard1.JPG
    Anyone??? Steven?

Anyone??? Steven?
    Ben, that hull looks a lot like the one Ken Joye (sp) of Mach-5 racing over at RRR built.
    That is my best guess.
    This will help you get to him.
    http://www.rumrunnerracing.com/fefor...ad.php?t=17475

How do you find this stuff? LOL

Hi Ben. Stumbled across this while looking for something else.
    It's the Hydro & Marine Firefox. Just scroll down the page 'till you find it. Not bad for $99.00.

http://www.finedesignrc.com/hullshydromarine.asp

Here's a couple of pics of one built up by Eddie Mathews.

http://images.google.com.au/imgres?i...%3Den%26sa%3DG
    Cheers.
    Paul.

How do you find this stuff? LOL
    Have you contacted Ken Joye yet? I mentioned him back at the beginning of this thread. You can find him on RRR or thru www.mmeu.com

Andy
    Spektrum Development Team

Good links. Keep them coming! I can't figure out where he's fitting 14 cells, LOL!

Andy,

I haven't had the chance to contact him yet. I wanted to get my act together a little and ask the pertinent questions I may have.

I do remember your post and I've got it marked for action. Thanks!

Ben.
    An observation.
    Since seeing all these pictures lately & Simons brilliant photos, there are two things I would change on the dimensions of my original drawings if I were to make another one.
    1) shorten the wings by 20mm (3/4") each
    2) make the rear sponsons 20mm (3/4") narrower.
    This would reduce the overall width by 80mm (3-3/16")
    This should reduce some of the lift, so the strut angle could be leveled out a bit.
    It was originaly designed for a 700 brushed motor with 12/14 cells & I thought it would need a lot of lift for that weight.
    Now that it has a brushless & 4s lipo the weight is a lot less.
    This may or may not help in your design efforts.
    My only option to reduce lift now is to take the top skin off the wings (which are split anyway) , sand some of the wing section away to make them thiner and reskin them. I'll do this when I repaint the old girl.

Cheers.
    Paul.

Good ideas Paul.

I'm considering making the rear sponsons much like a rigger. Meaning, they will have booms. This way I can lay other material or create downforce/lift as needed. At least, that's what I'm currently contemplating.

that's certainly a very good idea, the front boom could be fixed while the rear one could, by moving it up or down, let you adjust sponson's angle!
    that said you might not even want to put any wing for the first test to avoid aerodynamic undesired effect, when the canard is tuned, just add a flat board under booms with the front pointing upward to test ground effect, remember that the thicker the airfoil is, the earlier (in speed) it will be efficient, playing with airfoils can be "dangerous" and "parasite", at different speed it will create different lift effect, a flat board will basically not creates aerodynamic lift, only ground effect!
    Emmanuel
    I'm french but I doubt I really am!
    http://pagesperso-orange.fr/pleindetrucs/

Meniscus, I found this one interresting for you http://www.fastelectricsrfun.co.uk/miss_stress_2.htm
    Emmanuel

Intriguing! I've seen a few of these concept incorporated in some full size boats, but I haven't seen one like that.

Thanks for the link!

Here's a new picture I've found:

Hudge!
    Emmanuel

Ugghhh There so damn Ugly!!!! lol I heard there fast tho.
    LMT
    LehnerMotorenTechnik.com

Man!!! That's a serious piece of work.

I can't even imagine what speed that thing goes when it's tuned. Even not electric!

Sorry for the oversized pic screwing up the forum experience, LOL!

Hopefully I can all to your pool of information on canard RC boats.

From the attached pictures you will see two different types of canard boats, one yellow and two white, representing three experimental propulsion options.

The yellow canard is from Aeromarine, and was previously mentioned in the thread. This is a very well made fiberglass boat with hull number 8905. I originally considered the basic design of this boat to be a candidate for a unique mode of transportation (in Dubai, the only place in the world something like this could happen) that combines a car, boat and submersible. The Aeromarine hull represented a 1/7th scale model. I incorporated a unique prototype propulsion system I designed that had both propeller and wheel. This is shown in the picture, where two such units were mounted underneath the canard.

Currently I am planning to remove this dual land/sea propulsion system and mount a large brushless inrunner. The motor I am holding in the picture has a max power output of 6.6 KW, on 10-12 LiPo's pulling 120 amps max. The KV is 16 and the shaft size is 12 mm. This is a works in progress since I developed a very unique, unconventional cooling system for the motor and ESC.

The white canards shown have two different experimental propulsion systems. The first uses a Feigao FG540XL, 2984KV inrunner brushless motor driving a jet pump. I know the first reaction is that this will not work at high speed since the jet water intake will probably be out of the water. Indeed this is correct but the application for this boat is NOT high speed rather an oceanographic research platform with a small Pentium computer, u/w cameras and sensors designed to do inshore monitoring where weeds and kelp may be a problem. At slow speed the intake remains submerged and is quite effective for this very specific application.

The second white canard also has a rather unique propulsion system I designed and built. It is a brushless motor of about 3,000 watts in a special underwater housing. In this case the motor and housing are underwater. Again, this is experimental with the intent other than pure high speed. In this configuration I have maximum interior volume for oceanographic monitoring equipment. Motor cooling problems are obviously minimized in this configuration.

Hope you find the above useful………..or at least a bit interesting!
    Professor Joe Valencic

I just remembered that I posted information on the canards at my blog on RC groups. You can scroll down to near the end and find the two canard blogs I referenced. Again, hope it gives you some creative ideas!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=117430

questtek,

Welcome to the forum. I looked at your page and have looked at some of your work. I'm glad to see others thinking about unconventional applications. I hope you frequent this forum and share your build and experience.

Thanks for taking the time to share your Canard and I look forward to seeing a video of it working.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast