Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E1 Seabird

Default E1 Seabird

E1-Series-RaceBird-Electric-Raceboat-Hydrofoil-Cooling-Tech.jpg20240208_164215.jpg

Have you seen the new E1 racing boats, electric outboards running on hydrofoils. Well I've got to try it haven't I. My own outboards are perfect for this project.

E1 Seabird

First primer//filler sprayed on, I decided to paint it dismantled. Otherwise when pulling it apart the paint would spoil. Also a little paint might just tighten up those two foils which are not glued. I am excited by this project, as I was a couple of years back developing my own outboards. I have printed the first vc jet water pickup with wings, what ? I hear you say. Well I will post a photo, basically the back end is lifted out the the water by a wing on the outboard. So my easiest option was to use my vc jet outboard, then if we are short on power I have a couple of ideas for adding a wing to a prop outboard. There are problems to solve, like being able to slide the outboard up and down and still maintain steering connections. It needs this to set the ride angle, also needs to tilt to adjust the angle of the rear wing. These can be adjusted by the pilot on the real boat at the touch of a button. What I have in common is the main foils can only be adjusted whilst standing, then fixed in that position.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just was looking these boats over thinking the same as you. I have too much on the go to try to make those hydrofoils

20240211_174952.jpg20240211_175023.jpg
    I am sure it will be modeled in the future, I have seen one already but it was slow and quite underwhelming, it had a wing on the outboard which was 10 times oversized.
    The foils sit well back, and my instinct is to have the cg just a bit forward of the main foils so it rests on the outboard.
    The intake in the pics is shown with its new wings added.
    Correction, guess the cg should be behind the main foils to keep some weight on the outboard.
    Last edited by Returntohome; 02-15-2024 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Mistake

20240214_161431.jpg
    E1 Seabird

I put the partly painted foil together to show Paul at the club yesterday, he was impressed. I got the jack plate working, it ended up being able to move twice as far as I thought it would, about 36mm . Also found an adjustable way to connect the steering arm, see photo. I didn't want to disturb the steering servo as I glassed its mount in the boat, and I want to be able to return the boat for normal use, so with it being high up I am making a vertical pivoting arm about 70 mm long. Then the steering arm can exit near the bottom of the hull.

20240215_133038.jpgTohave a break from painting I made the parts which bring the steering arm very low down. This is needed to allow the boat to rise up about 2 inches from the water.
    At least that's the plan, I am relying on speed to get this boat airborne as its very heavy.

20240216_093203.jpg20240216_140953.jpg

E1 Seabird

Had a full day in workshop today, got these hydrofoils fitted, then put another outboard on my F1, and a stronger mount on my jet rib.
    The F1 engine was designed to be short, unfortunately that made it weaker, so coupled with high speed runs, a few cracks appeared. I could have kept running it, but as I had another engine to hand I decided to make the change.
    Great idea of Robin to have a wear ring , I have needed to replace a few times, in this case one grubscrew came loose.

20240217_143127.jpg

E1 Seabird

I chose the original E1 logo because it has straight lines so nice and easy to cut out. Both foils painted now, so no excuse, I need to decide where to put the hole through the hull . Because the hull lifts out the water I need to bring water cooling from the outboard to feed the esc. The pick up in the hull is sealed, but can be used if converted back to a normal jet boat. We need to film the maiden run, even though the chances of it working first go are near zero.

I look forward to the results.

20240221_123627.jpg

E1 Seabird

Ready for a first run, fingers crossed. I adapted a carry base for it with slots to accommodate the foils. I won't fit the cowl until some tubing arrives from China to connect the water to the esc, I used what I had. Might have another try at getting the base of the foils square after having a run on the lake. Might try body filler behind them, pulling them gently on the screws till it sets. If the base is not square, it throws the foil out when tightened up.
    So wish me luck for Saturday.20240221_123718.jpg

Hey buddy, hoping for a decent result for today!

Shawn

CB 24 E1_00_00_04_25-2-2024 05_56_08.jpgCB 24 E1_00_01_59_25-2-2024 05_58_03.jpgCB 24 E1_00_02_31_25-2-2024 05_58_35.jpgCB 24 E1_00_02_53_25-2-2024 05_58_57.jpg

E1 Seabird jet outboard

OMG it actually works. I ran her gently trimming for straight runs, then gave it half throttle and up she popped. OK there was far too much spray due to the intake on the jet outboard. Also increasing throttle made the nose drop, so I had some fun at half throttle and tried a few adjustments on engine height and trim angle. None of which was an improvement on the first run. There will be a video soon, but to start here are some stills from the video.
    Where next, I think it's worth trying a prop outboard, if only to cut down on the spray, so watch this space.

Quote Originally Posted by Returntohome View Post
    CB 24 E1_00_00_04_25-2-2024 05_56_08.jpgCB 24 E1_00_01_59_25-2-2024 05_58_03.jpgCB 24 E1_00_02_31_25-2-2024 05_58_35.jpgCB 24 E1_00_02_53_25-2-2024 05_58_57.jpg

E1 Seabird jet outboard

OMG it actually works. I ran her gently trimming for straight runs, then gave it half throttle and up she popped. OK there was far too much spray due to the intake on the jet outboard. Also increasing throttle made the nose drop, so I had some fun at half throttle and tried a few adjustments on engine height and trim angle. None of which was an improvement on the first run. There will be a video soon, but to start here are some stills from the video.
    Where next, I think it's worth trying a prop outboard, if only to cut down on the spray, so watch this space.

Yeah!!! Pretty good, I would agree with the open propeller idea. But dang fine first go!!

20240227_144709.jpg

Ready for round 2, this is the engine that had a brief go on the f1, then had its gearbox serviced so no excuses. It looks like it could lift the prop out of the water, but there must be a balance point where the prop stops driving and settles back. It's a lot more streamlined than the jet version which can only be good, but what about torque from the prop, that could be an issue, it doesn't seem to bother the full size version though.

20240227_144709.jpg

Ready for round 2, this is the engine that had a brief go on the f1, then had its gearbox serviced so no excuses. It looks like it could lift the prop out of the water, but there must be a balance point where the prop stops driving and settles back. It's a lot more streamlined than the jet version which can only be good, but what about torque from the prop, that could be an issue, it doesn't seem to bother the full size version though.
    As long as the prop is sharp it should be ok

20240227_144709.jpg

As long as the prop is sharp it should be ok, perhaps a little less pitch? Prop shop in UK used to have a good variety of 1.2 pitch props. Or maybe just a two blade, that in itself is 1/3 lift. But you will you see when you run. I would think the back will lift repeatedly with this setup if there is too much lift. CG May help resolve it too.
    Kudos for trying this! I am curious as to how runtime can be effected with the foils.

20240229_164123.jpg

E1 Seabird

I am going back to my jet outboard for now with some modifications. A few hours today drawing a new streamlined pickup, it has an adjustable foil on the front, just 2 screws to alter the angle.
    I can always try the prop again later, but I feel success will be easier this way.

Thanks for your support! The prop version did work, but took a lot more effort so going back to jet outboard for now with a new intake and adjustable foil.
    After getting the green foil made up and painted, I realised its a 2 minute job to change foils at the lake. Just pull out the 3mm ss pin and remove 2 screws. So I drew up another, quite a bit thinner, it's still in primer. This will be great for trying different sizes and shapes, and being able to change its angle too will help.20240301_153133.jpg20240301_154230.jpg20240301_154211.jpg

Should be interesting. Luvin your O/B’s

20240302_095235.jpg
    Thanks this project has been made possible by already having developed my own outboards. The pickup is held on with 4 x2mm cap head screws, if I could find some longer than 30mm I could add a spacer, then I could get the engine higher and keep the foil where it is.

E1 Seabird hydrofoil

E1 Seabird hydrofoil
    Mixed result today, as I forecast the foils were way too big. Steering was affected too , so I've moved to a smaller foil and placed it further back. You will be pleased to see I've shaped it best I can for speed through the water. I've also allowed for more movement in the tilting angle. Finally it now has a sharp front edge. Just need to draw up that 20mm spacer ready for the screws coming from China.20240306_172344.jpg
    I am printing a new battery tray that allows movement side to side and back and forth, this should help.

20240307_140811.jpg20240307_140714.jpg

E1 Seabird hydrofoil

This is the new foil for Saturday. It reminds me of a shark with its mouth open from the front, guess that's no bad thing. It pivots well giving a good range of settings. Hope the steering is improved too from Wednesdays foil, speaking of which David at club said try cutting it down so I have chopped 20mm off each side. It gives me something else to try , but my hopes are pinned on the great white

It was so cold and windy yesterday, so not good for making changes at the lake side. It did work but not as well as I thought it might. I really need to get that spacer fitted so the exit from the jet is into air rather than water, though its hard to see with all the spray. There's a new great white coming for next time, stronger, meaner, sleeker, and a little bigger. See photos, the printed foil has come out 10 times better by tipping it on its back and printing vertically.

20240310_054311.jpg20240309_165857.jpg

E1 hydrofoil

Took a while yesterday to get it lifting clear of the water, the answer was to add some negative pitch to the outboard foil. Running into wind seems to give more lift, guess thats air getting under the hull giving some extra lift. I have a few things to try now, like swap the motor for a lighter one, extend the hull to cut down splashing. Stop water entering through the steering port. A different extension to try , along with a stronger foil, it's prone to cracking at the pivot.
    Video to follow.YouCut_202_00_00_01_25-3-2024 06_00_22.jpg

E1 hydrofoil

Extending the intake doesn't seem to have any detrimental effect, this one has a longer point to the front and just rounded at the back, it will act as a rudder until its lifted clear of the water . Adding 1mm to each foil side seems to have made it a much stronger unit, I've set it with slight down trim as before.
    So with decent bearings giving more power, a lighter motor, and a splash guard surely its got to be good, but I'm used to taking one step forward and two backwards.
    Nick at the club wants 2 dummy outboards for a lifeboat rib he's building, they can act as rudders. It would have been a huge job to draw them, but I've realised I can scale mine to any size in Cura the slicer. So for fun I printed a 1/4 scale mid section, it came out perfectly and only took 1/2 an hour every screw hole is the size of a pin. The same part at 1/2 scale takes 2 hours, so still not too bad. I will tell him the good news today.

20240326_145905.jpg

Hey bud, I have been work busy as of late. Long weekend coming tho. It looks like it is ALMOST there in the video.

Thanks Shawn
    I tempted fate, so the ally plate did a great job of cutting out the splashing, but the price was more lift created at the back, Newton's law. So it pushed the nose down, I kept making adjustments all morning to get it working. Some success, but i can't review it on film because although Paul filmed all morning nothing recorded on his camera. I may have to reduce the size of the spray plate, but in theory it should ride high above the water line. I have printed another foil, this one carries the wings above the tilting adjustment slot. Then to compensate I have lowered the engine 10mm, will test on Saturday.

E1 hydrofoil

From this picture taken from yesterday's video you can see how the splash guard is doing a good job, glad I didn't get rid of it.
    2nd picture, when I've had some fun developing the jet version, I can try the prop set up again. On the real machine that foil looks quite vulnerable.
    If I can't think how to fix a foil to my existing outboard, then maybe design a dedicated gearbox with provision for an adjustable foil. To help with the torque problems I had last time I've been advised to switch to a sharp two blade prop, makes sense.IMG_20240330_155747.jpg20240331_054705.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast