Thread: 1/8 scale unlimited hydro FE Help

Default 1/8 scale unlimited hydro FE Help

Hey Guys,
    I'm in need of some help. I'm not new to RC boats but I'm new to FE. I'm picking up a Phil Thomas 1/8 scale Winston Eagle fiberglass hull, 44" in length. This is a play boat only, not a race boat. I am looking for some help figuring out what motor, ESC and prop choices I should look at. I'm looking to run in the upper 50's to mid 60's for speed. I would like to minimize the blow-overs with this boat. If anyone has some recommendations for what I should run with 8s or 12s that would be great. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance. I really appreciate this forum and all the people who have helped me!

I would look to both organizations rule set just for guidance. Not because you want to race it because the rules were based on homework of those in those organizations.

The NAMBA rules include up to 8s and have a motor size limitation for the motor and a Kv limit. However, that size limitation eliminated some great motors that were less pricey. Like 1/2 the price. The rule set works but those that wrote it didn't do all the homework in at least that regard. Oh, there is also a diameter limitation on the prop.

IMPBA has a new trial set......I think it's trial......that also includes a motor dimension limitation but goes up to 10s. Their limit included the less expensive motor option.....cuz they did do their homework.

The plan for my Velasko is the NAMBA rule set. In so doing I end up legal for IMPBA.

8s is easiest to acquire parts for. The Castle XLX2 will run on 8s and is tough as nails. Plus I can series 4s packs to run it. If you have many boats, 4s is a staple. 10s is easier on equipment as the amp draw can be lower but more farting around with cell strategy and more esc needed. Ugh. Zero deal if you have large boats already. I don't do those much anymore.

If I were building one for fun.....I would do 8s still but would buy what ever 40 mm motor I wanted. By sticking with 40mm I can grab a NAMBA legal motor if I get a hanker'n to race. I can also sell the whole shebang to a guy who wants to race it should I ever decide to.

I nice setup for your boat would be 8s, Castle XLX2 marine, TP 4070/4Y or 5Y. Fun respectable power plant without breaking the bank. You could get even more motor from Neu but the price goes through the roof quickly.

Th 4070 would be legal to race in IMPBA but not in NAMBA. Too long.

Maybe Mike will chime in if I missed the mark on the IMPBA stuff. I didn't read it. We just talked about it briefly.
    Noisy person

Thanks T. S I will definitely check them out. Appreciate the help/ info. I’M just starting the build and was hoping to get a few Ideas to choose from and go from there. Thanks again.

Good advice from Terry. Remember though anything more than about 60 it?s going to blow over. Forget 12s too heavy. If you keep it light. Not always easy in and 1/8th. Go with 8s. You can use the cells for other projects too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You guys are right, 8s seems to be the way to go. I like the TP 4070 4Y 1090 KV I also was looking at the Neu 1527 motor which is 1.5y 850kv and 1y1250kv I really like the lower kv / torque for this boat, but I'm not sure that it's necessary? You guys have any Ideas on some good prop choices? Of course I know I’ll have to trial and check temps, just looking for a good solid prop or two to start with? Thank you guys for the help. Ave to trial and check temps, just looking for a good solid prop or two to start with? Thank you guys for the help.
    Last edited by Dsracing; 01-29-2024 at 05:46 PM.

1527/1.5y will meet that NAMBA specification. Those are killer motors. Near indestructible. That would also handle 10s should ever be so inclined. On 8s, NAMBA limits to 55mm. Not suggesting that's the best option but they cooked that up from somewhere. So maybe ABC 2115-17-45? I don't have a good point of reference either in truth. I haven't done one of these in a while. You could likely turn more prop and be comfortable. I ran my tank T-Plus with the 1527 but cant remember the prop. Sigh. Check with Dasboata on the prop. He'll surely have done up some props for some scale guys.

Neu or TP will make you a Kv different than standard. Just email them. If you wanted a Neu in the 1000kv range they can usually get you in the ball park It's pricey to do but they're like investment pieces. Just keep in mind that if you ever decide to race NAMBA the extra Kv wont fly.
    Noisy person

Thanks TS for all the great info, I greatly appreciate yours and all the input on this.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dsracing View Post
    Thanks TS for all the great info, I greatly appreciate yours and all the input on this.
    Thanks.
    There are guys much better versed on this than me. I think their all froze in for the winter maybe. Scale boats aren't for everyone. Bit more dedication and imagination required. Lots of patience needed too. I;ve got a 10th scale I've procrastinated on for a year now. WTH
    Noisy person

Ok here in the antipodes of New Zealand we run 10s. I run a TP 4070 830 kv and prop is X447/3 with an M cut. Speed is gps at 100 kph. Hull is 72 U7 Notre Dame. 10s will give you lower current draw. I come back at around 35% after a race on 5500 mah.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Terry your 100% right, it definitely takes a lot of dedication and patience with 1/8 scale. Pete, Thank you for your input as well, it sure helps the new guy on the FE block....lol thanks again to everyone on the forum.