Thread: Turn fin question

Default Turn fin question

Should turn fins be out of the water on strait away, are longer turn fins better than shorter ones how do I determine the correct setup and length.
    My boat seems to over steer and hook in turns and and sometimes on the straits in tougher water

In order for anyone to answer your question, it would greatly help if you state the boat...or, at least, the type of boat...you are referring to.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Yes, turn fins should be out of the water in the straights.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Yes, turn fins should be out of the water in the straights.
    If it's a mono, yes...but, if it's a hydro, or outrigger, then no. That's why I commented as I previously did.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

The boat is a highly modified Proboat Recoil 2 it goes like a bat out of hell and very stable in the straits however as stated want to oversteer in the turns it wants to hook.
    wondering if wider turn fins and bit longer would help.
    The turn fins I have on it are the OSE mediums.

So then the turn fins must turned up and out of the water and in the water in the turn,

Does size matter in this case lol length and width

Fin must be in the water during a turn otherwise be prepared for carnage! The stock fin does ok and you can play with the angles but IMO it doesn't do much. I have yet to try a longer fin and I think the gage of the metal is too thin. On 6s power I end up bending the stock fin. I suggest a curved fin for better cornering especially if your run area is tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    Does size matter in this case lol length and width
    hahaha That ole' chestnut.

It sure does. It's one of those things we experiment with. Every boat seems to be a little different. I like square on mine but sometimes tip them back so they look like diamonds. Wish I could give you a straight answer. Lots of my club mates run tear drop shape and they run great.
    Noisy person

I have the OSE mediums on my recoil 2 wondering if I should run longer ones

I like mine no where near the water on a mono going straight. Then in the turn I want just enough to get the job done. You can test just by swinging them back and forth and trying it. It will give you a hint how deep the boat wants through a turn. I start with my best guess and then trim down until the boat starts misbehaving in the turn.

I use the OSE brackets but I always check to make sure they were machined square to planet earth if you know what I mean. Sometimes they come wonky. Like 89 degrees instead of 90. Super annoying. No idea how that happens. I suppose we're not quite buying surgical grade machine work for the prices we're paying.

Then I cut my own fins from stainless. Super tough but still thin. Plus I can sharpen until it's possible to hunt bear with them. Various lengths on hand is the way to go. Test/swap/test/swap kind of thing. Not everyone has shop full of tools to fart around with though. That's where tilting is handy.

Don't rule out tear drop or square either. We've had guys with the same exact boat running two different versions. I can't say about either that "this is the way". Guys that insist otherwise are being silly.
    Noisy person