Thread: Rico Superboat Plan

Default Rico Superboat Plan

Good day happy people,

It has been a while since my last post. Currently, I am in the planning stages of a new project, and I am seeking input before committing to the investment this upcoming summer. I intend to build a Rico Superboat (monohull) from Rico Racing?a gas hull measuring 58 inches in length and 13 inches in width. The primary objective is to employ the hull for sport boating and potentially engage in competitive runs with the gas guys.
    Through research on the forum and calculations, I have determined that the setup requires a power output of roughly 10,000 Watts. Specifically, I plan to implement a 12s battery configuration using two 6s 9500mah 90c or 100c rated packs (I still want a decent run time), generating a current draw of approximately 157.66 amps. To ensure the boat aligns with the sport boating category, I aim to maintain an unloaded RPM below 33,000. Consequently, through a 700 kv motor, with models such as the Lehner 3080 or 30100 emerging as suitable candidates.
    Furthermore, the calculated setup necessitates either a 250-amp ESC or a 300-amp ESC to adequately manage the electrical demands. In terms of performance metrics, I aspire to achieve speeds of at least mid-70s mph or operate comfortably in the high 60s. A preliminary cost estimate for the entire build places it at approximately $3,000. Given my status as a university student, I plan to undertake the construction gradually over the next few years.
    On a final note, while I am willing to incur the costs associated with this ambitious build, I am curious to explore alternative options for electronic components. Any insights or recommendations in this regard would be greatly appreciated."

To save a little money on cost, you could go with a TP 5680 or so motor, which should be substantially cheaper than a Lehner. It will have the power capability to perform.

I would run 4x batteries. If going 12S, I would run 4x CNHL G+ 70C 6,000mAh 6S packs in parallel and series. If you're intending to entered sanctioned races, you may need to consider 10S rather than 12S.

Hold off on buying ESC's or batteries until you get closer to running. A new ESC with more technology or more robust may come out between now and then, and the batteries would be happiest if they didn't start out 3 years old.

Thanks for the response tbonemcniel, I took a look at the TP 5680 and it runs 7200 watts continuously with a max of 15,000 watts would the motor burn up/ get hot if I consistently exceed the continuous watts? In terms of KV I think that the 650kv would work best for the 12s setup, I'm not considering running in any sanctioned races at the moment but if I were to I guess I'd need a completely different motor as 650 on 10s might be kinda slow. But that might give me an excuse to build another large boat.

The battery setup is brilliant but I'm figuring that I'll probably replace the EC5 connectors to QS8 connectors.
    As you recommended I'll hold off on the other electronics.

Although a Lehner 30100 is the right motor for a no expensive spared setup it is quite expensive. And you will need an equally capable 300A ESC. 33k is is a good target for a Lehner 2-pole, but 22-25k is much more suited to a 4-pole or 6-pole motor. As suggested above a TP5680 would be a great low cost option. Also consider the Tenshock 5380 motor. https://www.tenshock.com/products/ts...lessmotor.html

12S is a good choice for lipos. If you want a balance of runtime and speed look at a 2P setup using 5000mAh to 6000mAh cells. You only need 45C rated cells if you run a single motor with a 2P battery system. Hobbyking have a buy 2 get one free and I believe the large 6000mAh 6S packs are included in that sale. https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...ck-w-xt90.html

Make sure you get a good ESC though. This will be the Achilles heal in your power system.

Also just a note on cells, anything higher than 10S excludes you from NAMBA/IMPBA insurance. With this large powerful boat make sure you have AMA insurance just to protect yourself.

-Tyler
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

Quote Originally Posted by Brothers 1718 View Post
    Thanks for the response tbonemcniel, I took a look at the TP 5680 and it runs 7200 watts continuously with a max of 15,000 watts would the motor burn up/ get hot if I consistently exceed the continuous watts? In terms of KV I think that the 650kv would work best for the 12s setup, I'm not considering running in any sanctioned races at the moment but if I were to I guess I'd need a completely different motor as 650 on 10s might be kinda slow. But that might give me an excuse to build another large boat.

The battery setup is brilliant but I'm figuring that I'll probably replace the EC5 connectors to QS8 connectors.
    As you recommended I'll hold off on the other electronics.
    QS8's are a good choice.

I frequently, like every time I drive my boats, run TP motors past their continuous wattage. This is typically only for 6 laps or 1 mile at a time, but it's constant full or close to full throttle the entire time. With good cooling, even in Texas summers, I don't have an issue. There are also TP 5690's, which I didn't even realize existed (not sold by TPUSA distributor) until I acquired a boat with a pair of 5690's.

Quote Originally Posted by RaceMechaniX View Post
    Although a Lehner 30100 is the right motor for a no expensive spared setup it is quite expensive. And you will need an equally capable 300A ESC. 33k is is a good target for a Lehner 2-pole, but 22-25k is much more suited to a 4-pole or 6-pole motor. As suggested above a TP5680 would be a great low cost option. Also consider the Tenshock 5380 motor. https://www.tenshock.com/products/ts...lessmotor.html

12S is a good choice for lipos. If you want a balance of runtime and speed look at a 2P setup using 5000mAh to 6000mAh cells. You only need 45C rated cells if you run a single motor with a 2P battery system. Hobbyking have a buy 2 get one free and I believe the large 6000mAh 6S packs are included in that sale. https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...ck-w-xt90.html

Make sure you get a good ESC though. This will be the Achilles heal in your power system.

Also just a note on cells, anything higher than 10S excludes you from NAMBA/IMPBA insurance. With this large powerful boat make sure you have AMA insurance just to protect yourself.

-Tyler
    Wow, I don't know the last time I heard the name Tenshock, dude you brought back so many memories of when I was just getting into the hobby.
    If I were to drop the rpm to between 22-25k on 12s I'd have to run about a 500 kv or reduce the cell count to 10s. Would I be able to achieve the speeds I've envisioned? And If so what sized prop would I even run "I have limited gas hull prop knowledge".

Man, this battery setup and the deal are good information I'm gonna look into it. I'll consider getting insurance because I typically run in a Bay where yachts come to anchor, not that I run my boats that far out but as you said just to protect myself.

In terms of ESC's I have been looking at the ZTW seal and G2 seal I'm also considering Flier 400 amp ESCs as OSE does not have any of the swordfish ones anymore but as tbonemcniel said I could leave that till the build is done and ready to run.

Quote Originally Posted by tbonemcniel View Post
    QS8's are a good choice.

I frequently, like every time I drive my boats, run TP motors past their continuous wattage. This is typically only for 6 laps or 1 mile at a time, but it's constant full or close to full throttle the entire time. With good cooling, even in Texas summers, I don't have an issue. There are also TP 5690's, which I didn't even realize existed (not sold by TPUSA distributor) until I acquired a boat with a pair of 5690's.
    I didn't know TP had a 5690 size motor, man they must be huge do you know where I can find them online?

I didn't know TP had a 5690 size motor, man they must be huge do you know where I can find them online?
    I don't know about 90, but there's a 104 here:

https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...l-sss-56104-v2

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264916055656

It can be confusing with the Chinese manufactures like TP or TFL. TP USA is not TP, they're just a vendor that is using TP's name. No different than OSE. So when you order from TP USA, you're not actually ordering direct from TP. Just like say TFL North America is not actually TFL. They're just using the name to make you think they're the factory outlet in North America, but they're no different than any other vendor that sells TFL hulls and boats.

That guy I linked to selling TP's on eBay is another TP vendor, and he'll get you anything. I've bought a number of motors from him that OSE doesn't stock, even ordered custom winds for custom kv through him, and got exactly what I asked for.

Quote Originally Posted by BUMBLESPECIMOODA View Post
    I don't know about 90, but there's a 104 here:

https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...l-sss-56104-v2
    That's actually about the same size as a TP 5670, and is definitely smaller than a TP 5680 or 5690. SSS is giving you the overall can length at 104mm, TP is giving you the stator length at 80mm in the case of a 5680. The can length of a 5680 is 116mm as compared to SSS's 104mm. It's confusing, but basically SSS and Leopard and a lot of motor manufacturers advertise the overall can length, so that people THINK their 56104 in this example, is bigger than a TP 5680, but it's not. Good marketing move though, because a lot of people fall for it. TP, Castle, Neu, Lehner etc advertise stator or rotor length, which is much more helpful information to have when comparing motors than overall can length (although they list that too).

Thanks for the link. I’ll save it. Man, I can’t wait to get my hands on this hull to start building it. I’m excited and I’ll make sure to share the build along the way with you guys. I want this boat to be the embodiment of its name: a ‘super boat’. I’m maxing out my attention to detail on this one.

After doing the math and looking at my options I think the best option for me to run a tp 5690 at the 585kv or 600 kv on 12s with a 70 mm 1.4 or 1.5 prop to get into my goal speeds ( all theoretical of course based on the calculator) while keeping my rpms low enough for a 6 pole motor. I've also figured I need to run a different motor for the 10s namba setup, I' stick with a TP motor so I can use the OSE quick change mount and run maybe around 700-800kv. Funnily enough doing something like this would be cheaper than purchasing a lehner (when not including the extra batteries). But all that means for me is more time on the water during the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher 67 View Post
    This is only a suggestion but SSS now makes a 56154 or a 56135 which is huge on size and power with a variety of KVs and easily less
    than half the cost of a Lehner at similar power levels a 3080 - 30100 would give.
    Thanks for the suggestion Punisher 67, I'll take a look at them online the image is a little blurry and I can't read it very well. It's nice to see that there are more large-sized motors being released.

I have gotten better pictures of the specs - sorry I had to redo post

This is only a suggestion but SSS now makes a 56135 or a 56154 which is huge on size and power with a variety of KV,s and easily less
    than half the cost of a Lehner at similar power levels a 3080 - 30100 would give .

***********Just re- did it again specs are good and clear now **********
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Punisher 67; 02-21-2024 at 02:33 PM.
    Necessity is the mother of invention.............

Youtube Video's http://www.youtube.com/user/Titanis2000

Thanks, for reposting the images, my only question is how reliable/accurate are the ratings provided by SSS?

Hard to say as I have never run one this large , But I just watched a 56104 do 230KPH in a 1/5 scale RC car . I do have a 500kv 56123 on my
    bench and it seems to be an extremely well built and smooth motor .

Well, I have time before I start the build so I've got time to figure it all out.

142.915 mph wow that's fast, man you're tempting me to want to truly send it and see how fast I can send a boat this big. I know 1/5 scale cars are very heavy and that isn't an easy task whoever owns it hats off to them.

Well, I have time before I start the build so I've got time to figure it all out.

142.915 mph wow that's fast, man you're tempting me to want to truly send it and see how fast I can send a boat this big. I know 1/5 scale cars are very heavy and that isn't an easy task whoever owns it hats off to them.
    There are some very fast large electric RC boats in the Virgin Islands running in the mid and high 70s "I'm unnecessarily uncompetitive".

I just had to buy one , Here is a 56154 beside a Lehner 30100

That thing is a hog it's huge, which kv did you get and what are you planning to run it in?

Kv is 400 which is perfect for a 10 to 12 cell cruiser . No plans yet but do have a 57 Apachie powered by a 11 turn Lehner 3080 which I might throw in to try it .

The boat

Peter, what setup do you have in your DF Sniper?
    Nortavlag Bulc

Hi Ray

The red one is a Neu 2230 1Y on 10 cells and the Orange is a Lehner 3080/7 on 10 cells also ....The Orange boat is faster
    Last edited by Punisher 67; 03-15-2024 at 01:55 AM.

I like the paint scheme, it's really nice.

Thank you