Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My first fast electric boat !

A few more I threw in a couple of shots of the reflection of our ceiling fan in the paint to give an idea of the finish.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gary, I threw it on the scale and just as it sits in the pictures, no running gear, flotation foam, etc its 4.5lbs
    The paint added a good bit of weight aft of the CG so its going to take a bit of weight in the nose to get the balance point to what's called for.
    Pete

I think she is ready for a maiden voyage! I have it balanced at 1.25? behind the heel of the sponson. It took more than I wanted, 4.7 oz or lead up in the left side of the center section nose. I could have saved 2oz by cutting open the sponson and putting it there ( further forward ) but I didn?t think that weight savings was worth cutting the boat up. Maybe after I tear off the sponson in a wreck?.Everything else was just a matter of reassembly since it?s all been mounted before. I made a little riser for the RX antenna to be elevated a bit up in the canopy. I filled the water jackets of the motor and esc during the balancing operation and it made a little difference. I packed in as much styrofoam as possible too. All I need now is calm weather, time for playing and to repair my recovery boat so it?s ready to help if things go wrong. I have a couple more pics I?ll post since 5 is the limit
    Pete

More pics

Looks amazing Pete. Hope to see it running at the lake soon!

Thanks !! I’m so close, mostly have to get my recover boat ready and then wait for perfect weather on an off day. I don’t want to try running it the first time on anything but glassy smooth water. I have no idea how rough the water can be for a boat like this. My jet boat has been out on days with 20 sustained wind with 30mph gusts but this one is a little pickier I think.

While I am waiting to get a good day to run the boat I went ahead and built a stand for the boat. I looked at a few ideas on the internet and came up with this. Its footprint is a little bigger than the boat to protect it if it slides around during transport. It has handles to easily carry it. Hopefully it does well. It can be changed easy enough.

Your going to end up trimming that rudder a little. There is a lot of drag with a rudder that deep in the water but testing as is first and see what the boat is doing will point you in the right direction.
    PT-45 109 mph and climbing
    H&M 1/8 Miss Bud 73 mph
    Chris Craft 16 mph

Yep I have heard that on the M5 Performance YouTube channel. Scott said that you start full length from the manufacturer and then cut it down a little at a time and let the speed increase and keep cutting till the handling gets worse then swap the rudder for a new one cut to the length that worked the best. I already have another rudder waiting to be cut so I’ll do it that way. If someone has a good dimension for this hull I’d love to hear what it is.

Make sure you put some zip ties around all the water fitting connections. Things get hot, and the water tubing gets soft and can blow off the motor or ESC, filling your boat with water. The faster you go, the more pressure in the lines and more likely for one to blow off. My mono will blow the water lines right off the rudder connections once I hit 80MPH

I figured lines blowing off are a possibility so I cut small pieces of tubing and stretched them over the lines at the fittings. If you don?t think that?s enough I have no problem swapping them for little zip ties. Here?s a shot of one of them.

Been following with interest as I love to see the skills - I don't have any so buy OTS kits LOL
    You MUST use zipties if you intend anything over 50mph - your idea was good but simply not enough for the pressures involved > 50mph.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaAPmech View Post
    I figured lines blowing off are a possibility so I cut small pieces of tubing and stretched them over the lines at the fittings. If you don?t think that?s enough I have no problem swapping them for little zip ties. Here?s a shot of one of them.
    Sorry Pete, I didn't even notice them in the images. Ive personally never used that method, but it "might" work. Just keep a close eye on them once you start running the boat.

Wow! What a beautiful job! Love your other boats as well, especially the old steamer. Just watched African Queen the other night. :)

I like your tubing over the tube method. Provides even pressure around the diameter. I think it will be much better than zip ties. I'm switching to your method!

Thanks guys, I think Ill go ahead and run a zip tie around the whole thing, I really don't want to flood the boat or cook a component with a tube blowing off. Maybe in the future ill experiment but not when it gets its maiden.
    Speaking of maiden run, its gonna be awhile, my daughter is getting married Saturday and then a couple days later we will be on vacation for 2 weeks so its really busy now. Its killing me not to run the boat but I don't want to do it in a rush. It will happen after things calm down and Ill defiantly have an update for everyone. My wife will be there to try to catch it on video too.
    Sorry for the delay,
    Pete

Awesome, and congrats on the wedding!

Thanks Tony!
    Check out the shirt my wife got me?.

Ha, love it!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234