Thread: Radio recommendation

Default Radio recommendation

Right now I run my cars and boats all on a Dumbo RC X6. The transmitter was dirt cheap and does 300m-400m range. Never had a single issue. But my fastest boat only does like 78-80mph. Now I have an MHZ cat coming which will be a very expensive boat overall and I want to push 100+mph. I?m hesitant to run my $40 dumbo on such an expensive boat even though it?s never failed.

What do you all recommend? I saw the Futaba 3PV had a max of 80m and the 4PM had a max of 100m. That?s terrible!

P.S $200?s is my max budget. Not getting a $700 radio, I do not race.

Be sure to run your antenna outside of the hull, especially if it's a carbon hull.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Be sure to run your antenna outside of the hull, especially if it's a carbon hull.
    Yeah I already have carbon boats.

Two to STRONGLY consider are from Radiolink - RC8X & RC6GS. Both have 600m range, both are extremely popular with speedrunners (mostly due to the 600m range), and both have a DSC port (as far as I'm aware, they're the only surface radius with DSC ports).

With the DSC port, you can GREATLY increase range, and without having to mod the Tx. You do this by plugging a TBS Crossfire into the DSC port, and use aTBS Cross RC (instead of a Radiolink Rx). As for what the "max range" is when using a TBS Crossfire on a surface vehicle/vessel, honestly, I don't yet know. I suspect it will be drastically shorter than the distance they achieved in aerial testing...possibly as little at 10% the distance...but, considering aerial testing achieved a 45 mile distance, 10% of that (ie. 4.5 miles) would still be more than you'd ever need.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    Two to STRONGLY consider are from Radiolink - RC8X & RC6GS. Both have 600m range, both are extremely popular with speedrunners (mostly due to the 600m range), and both have a DSC port (as far as I'm aware, they're the only surface radius with DSC ports).

With the DSC port, you can GREATLY increase range, and without having to mod the Tx. You do this by plugging a TBS Crossfire into the DSC port, and use aTBS Cross RC (instead of a Radiolink Rx). As for what the "max range" is when using a TBS Crossfire on a surface vehicle/vessel, honestly, I don't yet know. I suspect it will be drastically shorter than the distance they achieved in aerial testing...possibly as little at 10% the distance...but, considering aerial testing achieved a 45 mile distance, 10% of that (ie. 4.5 miles) would still be more than you'd ever need.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    I am literally watching a YouTube video right now on the RC6GS working 500m away from a speedrun car. The RC8X is the fancy new version with an impressive 500m+. Also it has a trigger cutoff, failsafe and throttle delay feature which would be great for a speedrun ramp up. I am liking this.

+1 on Radiolink, transmitter is the same as DumboRC (same company) i.e. range is the same just better software in teh radio for settings and multiple receivers. Can't beat the price of receivers or performance.