Thread: Anyone tried these SMC packs

Default Anyone tried these SMC packs

Feelings or suggestions on the HCL-HC 11.1V-10800mAh 120C, going to run them in a Delta force 26 with a Leopard 3074 1900Kv

Wouldn't that be overly heavy and maybe even a tad awkward fitting such a large lipo into a small hull?

10800 mah is a lot for that size of hull...
    Hpr 06 / 09 / 150 /185, Mhz Skater H45 hydro.
    Uk SAW record holder

They are aprox 2 X 11/4 x 6 3/16ins

Quote Originally Posted by vvviivvv View Post
    Wouldn't that be overly heavy and maybe even a tad awkward fitting such a large lipo into a small hull?

10800 mah is a lot for that size of hull...
    But he is only running 3S, so as voltage goes down, capacity must go up in order to have the same amount of stored energy. Its the exact same battery as a 5400mAh 6S pack would be, which I agree is bit much for a 26" hull, but 10,800 mAh is really not as big as it sounds because of the reduced voltage. I run a 5000mAh 6S pack in my 36" mono, and it barely has enough capacity to make 6 laps before the cells hit 3.7V running an Octura X442 with a 1950KV motor at 55 MPH

Any extra battery weight shouldn't have any real effect on the top speed, assuming it's not so much that the model cant get up on plane and run correctly. The only issue I see is possibly not having enough room to move the battery to properly balance the model, considering the pack is half the length of the boat

According to SMC web site the packs are only 157mm long or 63/16

Sorry froggy, my bad! I miss read the measurements in your post above, which at a glance looked like it said it was 11 inches long like a stick pack.

I also noticed you started another thread where you now say you will be running two of these packs, I assume in series for 6S which now makes me change my reply as you never mentioned that important detail in your post here.

10,800 mAh 6S setup is a lot of battery for a little 26" boat
    Last edited by Xrayted; 12-26-2023 at 02:18 PM.

I’m trying to get the most run time I can out of this setup and still get into the 55mph + speed range.
    I have a Proboat Recoul 2 with the same motor and ESC combo and that boat hauls ass and handles really well on 2 3s Spectrum 3200 30C smart batteries however run time is only 4 minutes, I would really like to double the run time however I’m not sure how to get there

More capacity is the only way then. You can easily get the 55 MPH with a 1900KV motor on 6S as my bigger 36" does it all day long with the X442 prop measure by GPS, and runs cool doing it. My boat is about 7lbs ready to run with a single 5000 mAh pack, but like you, run times are short

Top speed won't be affected with more battery weight, but the holeshot out of slower corner might be, so all you can do is give it a shot and see if the tradeoff for much more battery capacity is worth it to you. Ive been running the chase boat in our club in past race events, and some the smaller boats running the longer offshore course felt like they were nothing but battery inside based on how abnormally heavy they were when I grabbed them! Its just a bit more lipo than how a typical boat of that size would be set up normally, and why we were asking

That's a self righting hull, so a flood chamber on one side. Are you sure you can even get two of them in there, and if so what effect if any will the weight have on the self righting function, assuming that matters to you?

My boat is not self righting, I’m going to try and set the boat up to run the battery/batteries in the center of the hull and the ESC on the left side rear ??? Depending where the CG is

I think this is one of those pick 2 scenarios, but you will always want 3.

-Speed
    -Low heat / long lasting electronics
    -Run time

In general Mono hulls have far more drag than other options, and weight is increasing that drag.
    I know you can have long run times with a slower boat, but 50+ mph is going to need wattage and that means short run times. It is just the nature of the beast.

You might be able to have the boat ride with the CG further back to help reduce the drag but the boat could experience a blow over more easily when hitting wakes/waves and wind.

Check out the offshore electrics speed calculator page. At the bottom if you plug in 10,500 mAh and 80 amps you still are only going to reach 7.88 mins.
    My recommendation is work on a nice easy to remove hatch so that you can swap lipos easily and accept the 2-4 min run times.

Thanks for your time and suggestions I really appreciate you, thanks again

Yeah, my head was still stuck on the Recoil 2 you mentioned you had when I mentioned the self righting function, so sorry about that. My reading comprehension is terrible today it seems!

I purchased the batteries all I can say is Wow!! Amazing punch and top end out of these little buggers.
    U fortunately after the 2nd run I lost the boat to Davey Jones, going to look for it tomorrow with my fish finder I had to purchase a transducer for boat, I?m all set but it?s raining today.

Yes, SMC are the best packs you can get right now, and as a bonus they are far cheaper than most if not all of the other supposedly "high end" brands that cost 3 times as much but are in reality just cheap Amazon garbage. Hopefully you can find it. I cant understand how your boats are getting so full of water when you flip them that this sinking issue is plaguing you?

My mono will float out on the surface for hours when I flip it, but its hatch is taped up, and both my mono and CAT have been bathtub tested both upright and inverted to stay dry for at least 30 minutes without getting any water inside. The only way it would fill up like you're describing would be if the hull was damaged and breached in some way to flood the interior

I did have a nasty 80 MPH end over end once that peeled the tape off along with the hatch, and it completely flooded but the entire nose stayed above water without issue

Good luck

My boats all nose dived wide open and submerged at high speed, they all went down the same way at aprox 50 degrees to the bottom, the lake is like a channel the bottom is clay with a hard pack layer on top of it.
    The boats or at least the one that I found so far was covered in mud, so probably stuck into the bottom.
    I’m going to search for the other two tomorrow weather permitting, it’s raining hard here, wish me luck.

Just ordered some 4400 6s packs to test out. Seems Hyperion has been off line for a while so decided to try someone new.
    I know exactly how fast my boat is so this will be a great test...for the better I hope !!!

So I can't test until water becomes liquid again but the new packs are much lighter than Hyperion packs of same caliber. I am going to have to put sticky weights on the batterys to get the weight the same as the old Hyperions.
    Look forward to the test results soon. The best MPH was 109 mph in my PT-Super sport 45 so looking to crack 110 if I can.

Did you buy the "HV" packs that need to be charged to 4.35V for full capacity? The benefit of the HV packs is you get the same or higher capacity as other packs, but with less weight. You can charge them to only 4.2V if you wish, or if using a charger that isn't HV capable, but you will get 15% less capacity by doing so.

Yes..4.35 but did not want a lighter battery. I had to tape 1.5oz of sticky weights to them in order to get the exact same hull balance from the Hyperions I have used.
    Hopefully these new SMC's will hold a higher voltage and around 47,000 rpm from the normal 46,000 rpm and that should get me over the "speed hump" LOL
    Last edited by Gary; 02-27-2024 at 07:24 AM.

So got too finally test today. Voltage sag up top in speed was a little lower but they performed exactly the same so far.
    Pre heated to 90 degrees and water /air conditions were the same with a 108 MPH and 46,500 rpm that was on par with where it has always been.
    Man this last 2 MPH I need / want is really a challenge for sure !!!
    Last edited by Gary; 03-27-2024 at 08:39 PM.
    PT-45 109 mph and climbing
    H&M 1/8 Miss Bud 73 mph
    Chris Craft 16 mph

What batteries were you using before you tried the SMC's Gary?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    So got too finally test today. Voltage sag up top in speed was a little lower but they performed exactly the same so far.
    Pre heated to 90 degrees and water /air conditions were the same with a 108 MPH and 46,500 rpm that was on par with where it has always been.
    Man this last 2 MPH I need / want is really a challenge for sure !!!
    That sucks Gary, I was hoping it would get you a little more. Physics is a bitch! My late father was a car guy and drag racer, and its exactly the same when he and I were building the cars. If it takes 1000HP to accomplish a specific time/speed, it may take 2-3 times that amount to go a little bit faster due to various aero and other forces working harder against you the faster you go.

Try removing that little bit of extra weight? Weight is a killer for speed.

Racerr73- The 4,400HV 75c batteries. I think I may need to put a few cycles on them to get more speed ...will have to see.

Xrayted- I hear you. I am knee deep in trying to find 4mph in my car to hit my goal for the roll racing I do at the track. Current best is 156mph in 1750 feet distance and really want a 160 mph to finish out this year but it is really hard to get a few miles an hour when you start going fast. I am working with a 4,300lb car with me in it so I have that working HARD against me for sure.

Jkflow - Noooooo..weight is my friend !!! This hull needs it to keep it on the water and the balance has to be perfect or over it goes.
    H&M 1/8 Miss Bud 73 mph
    Chris Craft 16 mph

Well after some testing it looks like I am stuck for good ??? where I am at.
    Multiple tests show around 108 MPH runs with the same rpm,46,500. I tried moving weight around and the end result is that this hull just will not go any faster. Battery temps were slightly lower at 85* since I had to walk to the other end of the lake to run the boat but none the less. Batteries are holding pretty good and is still early for any longevity tests but I like them so far especially for the price and size of them.

Tested again with battery temps at 95 degrees and no difference in performance.
    So now I may drop the prop down to eliminate some prop wash and maybe a little more bite but then I will be chasing balance issues again and that is noooo fun.
    Last edited by Gary; 04-09-2024 at 08:19 PM.
    H&M 1/8 Miss Bud 73 mph
    Chris Craft 16 mph

Sooooo...the battery's are/where holding up very well, all cells still perfect,no puffing at all.
    Bad news......boat is done. Made a perfect 108 pass and hit something in the water close to shore. Had to walk a bit to get to it but could not see it past some bushes ...but I sure new what that smell was in the air !! Boat was just sitting there like I had placed it in the water with the very front nose ripped off and smoke coming from inside.
    Hull is way too screwed for repair along with an incinerated ESC {5 year old Castle !! } so shes all done and parted out. I will stick with my "fun" boats for now.
    The SAW stuff after 15 years is just too distructive for me at this point and I need to move on. It's hard chasing speed all the time.
    Last edited by Gary; 04-25-2024 at 07:59 AM.
    H&M 1/8 Miss Bud 73 mph
    Chris Craft 16 mph

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Sooooo...the battery's are holding up very well, all cells still perfect,no puffing at all.
    Bad news......boat is done. Made a perfect 108 pass and hit something in the water close to shore. Had to walk a bit to get to it but could not see it past some bushes ...but I sure new what that smell was in the air !! Boat was just sitting there like I had placed it in the water with the very front nose ripped off and smoke coming from inside.
    Hull is way too screwed for repair along with an incinerated ESC {5 year old Castle !! } so shes all done and parted out. I will stick with my "fun" boats for now.
    The SAW stuff after 15 years is just too distructive for me at this point and I need to move on. It's hard chasing speed all the time.
    Agreed, SAW can be painful at times when you loose all that work to the pond.
    Which boat was approaching 160's? That is some serious speed!

Yep ...endless spending I did every year. Woo Hoo !
    H&M 1/8 Miss Bud 73 mph
    Chris Craft 16 mph