Thread: UL19 stock motor replacement options

Default UL19 stock motor replacement options

New here! Looking for recommendations for the UL19 stock motor replacement.

Goals-Running 4s only I want to be hitting 50+ mph while holding WOT for at least 12 laps.

Here's where I'm at..Ose150 with Specktrum 6200mah/120c, 4519 prop and stock motor. My best is 42mph with 18 WOT laps. Consistent all day temps in the 120 to 130's. Stock turn fin, 20mm gap from transom to bottom of strut, OSE dual water pick up and interior has the carbon electronics plate. I propped up with an ABC 1716 and got 51mph but the motor wires desoldered at about the lap 10mark.

TIA!

No one in their right mind run 12 laps I would rather run five laps at 65

Ok, good for you. Personally I'd like to get more for my time and money. I'm already able to do 12 with no problems.

Some people like merry-go-round, and some people like roller coasters Everybody has their thing

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Schweers View Post
    Some people like merry-go-round, and some people like roller coasters Everybody has their thing
    This is true, we all have our own way of driving styles.

Quote Originally Posted by M8each View Post
    New here! Looking for recommendations for the UL19 stock motor replacement.

Goals-Running 4s only I want to be hitting 50+ mph while holding WOT for at least 12 laps.

Here's where I'm at..Ose150 with Specktrum 6200mah/120c, 4519 prop and stock motor. My best is 42mph with 18 WOT laps. Consistent all day temps in the 120 to 130's. Stock turn fin, 20mm gap from transom to bottom of strut, OSE dual water pick up and interior has the carbon electronics plate. I propped up with an ABC 1716 and got 51mph but the motor wires desoldered at about the lap 10mark.

TIA!
    If you were running 6s this would be a lot easier to achieve, mid 50s to 6os, 150 esc, 6s with a leo 4082 2000kv Timing set at 0 and Prop Octura 442. Most common set up to run with this boat and reliable. I was at one time running this set up and i can run laps till LVC.

4s its a challenge to mid 50s for that many laps. If this was me 4s set up, Leo 4082 2200kv, 150 esc. timing set at 0, Prop-Abc 1714. This might do it but always be mindful of watching temps closely during set up changes. As one set up may work for one boat and general area Vrs another boat and the area of witch ran.

For comparison,

I’m running a SSS 4074 1600kv, 150 Raider, 6s, with a x442. Getting 60 mph, WOT laps for 4 min. Packs are coming back in with ~30% left in them (8400mah at start)

My ABC 1616 clocked at 65…haven’t tried my 1716 yet
    Last edited by Curtisjames9; 12-18-2023 at 04:58 PM.

Thanks for the insightful info, Ryan and Curtis!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Schweers View Post
    No one in their right mind run 12 laps I would rather run five laps at 65
    Would ya wanna do 65 with a U.L though? They're squirrely at 55. 52 makes pretty good sense to me.

Someday I'm going to get some sort of salvaged U.L to see what I can do with it. Right after I clone myself so I have more time.
    Noisy person

Ya, mine starts to get a little wild at 60+. Having the mojo turn fin helps it stick in the turns. So does having bigger/heavier batteries. Once I can run mine again this spring, I want to experiment with adding a little weight in the hopes of keeping it planted at higher speeds.

*Update* This morning I clocked 56mph on 4s running WOT for 10 laps. She ran beautifully and I think I could actually run a little drier to get a touch more. Mission accomplished! Now to see what I can do on 6s WITHOUT taking flight. My last attempt was at 79mph but ended with an epic 20 yard skip rock lol.

https://youtu.be/SqyFV80EjxU
    Last edited by M8each; 01-16-2024 at 01:53 PM. Reason: added link

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Would ya wanna do 65 with a U.L though? They're squirrely at 55. 52 makes pretty good sense to me.

Someday I'm going to get some sort of salvaged U.L to see what I can do with it. Right after I clone myself so I have more time.
    If your setup is on point, 65mph is no big deal. Assuming your also running on flat water and not during a hurricane. I've found that the 70+ mph mark is walking the line on having to get a retrieval plan ready.

Motor? Prop?

I ran those same spektrum batteries too - they’re kinda dogs- SMC’s game me an additional 5 mph on my setup. I also trimmed some foam out of the rear of the sponsons so I can run batteries practically inside them - similar to what you got going on.
    Last edited by Curtisjames9; 01-16-2024 at 08:21 PM.

After pushing the limits of the stock motor wire solder joints, I put in a SSS 40series 22kv and a 1644 prop.

Quote Originally Posted by M8each View Post
    If your setup is on point, 65mph is no big deal. Assuming your also running on flat water and not during a hurricane. I've found that the 70+ mph mark is walking the line on having to get a retrieval plan ready.
    Yeah, that makes sense. I'm always thinking 4 other boats on a course with me. By lap 3 it's all ocean racing. Your boat better be capable of stable flight then.

I have a boat that will run 76 for 8 laps if I'm alone. Then about 2.5 laps in a heat......if I'm super focused......and there's a break in the wind......and nobody breaths on the drivers stand. Oh and I hit the start perfect. I can't follow or fer git it.
    Noisy person