Thread: prop Question HELP

Default prop Question HELP

I have a 1714 ABC prop that runs great but to big (Amp draw) and they dont make anything like a 1712.So anyone know what might work?

Thanks Tom

1514 or 1614

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

you can either drop down in diameter, like oscarel suggested, or switch to a lower rake prop, like an Octura M445. The Octura prop will have more life at the transom than the ABC, so trim adjustments will also be necessary to maintain the same ride attitude.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

lower timing

Quote Originally Posted by tjsb View Post
    I have a 1714 ABC prop that runs great but to big (Amp draw) and they dont make anything like a 1712.So anyone know what might work?

Thanks Tom
    You're gonna have to go down in diameter or to a different prop manufacturer like Octura.

When I'm spec'ing out a new build, I set my kv based on a prop diameter I think the hull will like, and a middle of the road pitch ratio, like 1.5. Say 1715 in this case. That way, if I was off with my educated guess, I have room to drop down to a 1714 or up to a 1716 without throwing off the whole boat by using a different diameter or prop series/manufacturer. That advice is possibly too late, but if you constantly find yourself trying to lower the amp draw by looking for oddball props too small in diameter for what your hull likes, it's possible your kv is just too high and what you really need is a new motor.

Quote Originally Posted by tjsb View Post

Thanks Tom
    The question to ask what is your current set up?. Motor size and KV, How many cells/volts. ESC and what type of hull. All can be helpful to aid in pointing out in the right direction

what you can do-
    Change the motor, to accommodate the prop size.
    change prop to a smaller diameter, 1614 or Octura 445
    Reduce your timing on the ESC
    Maybe Propeller Modds as Filing/ cutting Certain parts of the blades to reduce load and the amps

Any time I have cut back timing never really saw much of a run time increase. But for sure smaller props will do the trick.