Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Mhz mystic 114 build

Default Cooling system water flow

Question for those in the know.

Will this boat's sponson-installed water pick-ups, create enough water flow while running alone?

Or will it need electric pumps to do it.

I ask because:

1. Simple is good. less electronic-systems to go wrong.
    2. TSC micro pumps are fricken expensive.
    3. I got the OSE water pumps. But they are huge and bulky, and don't know if I sould run one with t-fittings, or two, one for each motor/esc (weight is adding up).

Movement induced water flow if it works, will solve a lot of my questions.

Quote Originally Posted by BUMBLESPECIMOODA View Post
    Question for those in the know.

Will this boat's sponson-installed water pick-ups, create enough water flow while running alone?

Or will it need electric pumps to do it.

I ask because:

1. Simple is good. less electronic-systems to go wrong.
    2. TSC micro pumps are fricken expensive.
    3. I got the OSE water pumps. But they are huge and bulky, and don't know if I sould run one with t-fittings, or two, one for each motor/esc (weight is adding up).

Movement induced water flow if it works, will solve a lot of my questions.
    Bubble, I high suggest against water pumps as they are another point of failure and added weight. Water pumps are only good for cooling at a standstill. Forced cooling is by far superior in my opinion. The XLX2 run very cool to start so heat concerns are primary the motor.

On my Mystic 114 I am running 2 Blade custom 1.8x3.25 props made by Dasboata. The boat ran slightly wet and did 96mph back to back. I ran the boat as follow:
    Large oval Loop at 30-50% throttle to warm the battery
    Full trigger pull for several seconds
    large Oval Loop to cool down.

I did this until my batteries hit 3.7-3.8. The XLX2 were cool warm to the touch, 98-100 degrees F. My hand could stay on them. The motors were warm as well at 100-110.

Again,pumps are only good for standing still between SAW runs but most do a 1 and done SAW run.

To add, I have 4 pickups. I run each motor and esc on its own loop to avoid difference in flow restrictions.

Thanx fellas. Forced cooling. I also will run a seperate pick-up (4 all together), for each device.

My experience with 40+" twin cat cooling... I run the micro pumps on my SAW boats where the electronics run very hot and I need active cooling while the boat is stationary between passes. For my general builds, even fast ones, through hull pick-ups alone are sufficient assuming the props and electronics are sized appropriately. If you have the room, 4 pick-ups are great. If you don't, 2 pick-ups work fine too. Flow is key: drill out undersized hose barbs and use solid piping instead of long hose runs where possible. Don't use Y fittings.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Started the skins on the motor bulkheads. Will do 4-layers of 6oz. each side.

109.JPG

One side done:

110.JPG
    Last edited by BUMBLESPECIMOODA; 03-22-2024 at 10:31 AM.

Buon giorno, premetto che sono nuovo pertanto se sbaglio qualche cosa ditelo tranquillamente.
    Premetto che mi diverto nel progettare ( replicare da foto) aerei ed imbarcazioni.
    ho terminato in questi giorni lo scafo GEICO e lo realizzo in stampa 3d, ? la prima volta che mi cimento in questo progetto pertanto in merito agli accessori, motori ecc, non ho esperienza.
    chiedo se qualcuno nel forum pu? darmi informazioni in merito.
    Grazie

Quote Originally Posted by AURELIO View Post
    Buon giorno, premetto che sono nuovo pertanto se sbaglio qualche cosa ditelo tranquillamente.
    Premetto che mi diverto nel progettare ( replicare da foto) aerei ed imbarcazioni.
    ho terminato in questi giorni lo scafo GEICO e lo realizzo in stampa 3d, ? la prima volta che mi cimento in questo progetto pertanto in merito agli accessori, motori ecc, non ho esperienza.
    chiedo se qualcuno nel forum pu? darmi informazioni in merito.
    Grazie
    I did the same as you. I just read about as much as I could about the hull I wanted, and averaged what equipement was needed, to fit it out. Feel free to use my choices of gear.

Cheers,

Io ho fatto come te. Ho letto il pi? possibile sullo scafo che volevo, e ho fatto una media dell'attrezzatura necessaria per allestirlo. Sentitevi liberi di usare le mie scelte di attrezzatura. Cin cin

Motor mounts done, and will be installed this week, along with the esc & battery mounts. These things are solid! I won't have to use the rear motor mounts at all. One less step...

111.JPG 112.JPG

They look pretty stout
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Passage-ways installed in motor-mounts, for cooling hose and wiring. Carbon tubes bonded in, and will be sanded to shape tonight.

78.JPG

Areas etched for the motor-mounts.

114.JPG

ESC & battery trays bonded in.

IMG_3082.JPG
    Last edited by BUMBLESPECIMOODA; 03-29-2024 at 11:52 AM.

Got the motor-mounts in. Brazed the ends of the flex-shafts, and will monkey with installing the stuffing tubes this weekend.

80.JPG 81.JPG W.JPG

Got a sellection of props to work with (40, 42, 45, 48), when it's water time.

AA.JPG

I've read that adding the width of the flex-cable, to the length of the prop-shaft, to deal with "wind-up" of the cable. My flex-shafts are pretty short (4").

This wind-up, are there numbers, pecentages or calculations that show how much the cable does this, over the lengths of cable?
    Last edited by BUMBLESPECIMOODA; 03-29-2024 at 12:32 PM.

I've never seen such neat and thorough carbon work on an rc boat, excellent! Very interesting to see.
    I don't know about calculations on flex shaft tolerance, but I keep about 2mm free on my G-Force twin, which also runs short flex shafts.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-S911B met Tapatalk

I run about 3mm gap between the drive dog and end of the drives. You can gain a few more mm in length by slipping your collet on the motor shaft a little more aft.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Jan View Post
    I've never seen such neat and thorough carbon work on an rc boat, excellent! Very interesting to see.
    I don't know about calculations on flex shaft tolerance, but I keep about 2mm free on my G-Force twin, which also runs short flex shafts.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-S911B met Tapatalk
    A wee gap it is.

This build and other recent carbon muckings, have taught me the rule of hubris (again). I'm not as precise and clean as I was 15-20-ish years ago. This Mystic boat has definately been a challenge.

I can't replicate this level of composite wizardry any more:

6.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 2.jpg 7.jpg

1-layer laminate, perfect on inside and out, with no gap in the cloth's weave. Resin percentage measured to the drop. That's when I could "Hand lay-up".

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    I run about 3mm gap between the drive dog and end of the drives. You can gain a few more mm in length by slipping your collet on the motor shaft a little more aft.
    More wee gap it will be.
    Last edited by BUMBLESPECIMOODA; 04-11-2024 at 10:20 AM.

Default Stuffing-tubes

Shaped, cut to length, teflon bonded inside, wrapped in carbon (inspired by all who do this), and satin clear-coated.

Supports to be made next.

IMG_3105.JPG IMG_3107.JPG IMG_3109.jpg QQQ.JPG QQQQ.JPG
    Last edited by BUMBLESPECIMOODA; 04-11-2024 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BUMBLESPECIMOODA View Post
    Motor mounts done, and will be installed this week, along with the esc & battery mounts. These things are solid! I won't have to use the rear motor mounts at all. One less step...

111.JPG 112.JPG
    I love your build it's super clean and extremely impressive.

^^ Glad you love it. Without audience, why bother. :)

Made some supports for the stuffing tubes. Went for a funky-clamp / wine-glass look. Started with a core shape, then layered up cloth till satisfied. Then a satin clearcoat. Pics of them installed to come.

QQQQQQ.JPG QQQQQQQ.JPG QQQQQQQQ.JPG
    Last edited by BUMBLESPECIMOODA; 04-12-2024 at 02:32 PM.

Default Steering set-up

Also started fabbing the inner cable-housing stops, for the rudder steering cables. Tack glued exising shapes together, then mudded and shaped into the new shape needed. They are currently being wrapped in carbon fiber laminate. More pics will be added as the parts finish up.

111.JPG 112.JPG 113.JPG 114.JPG 115.JPG

Continued. A Permatex Black gasket is drying, in between the transom and parts. The cable-housing will "S" bend into the housing ferruls, and cables will pass through cleanly.

116.JPG 117.JPG 107.JPG 108.JPG 109.JPG
    Last edited by BUMBLESPECIMOODA; 04-16-2024 at 11:31 AM.

Started on the fore bulkheads. It will be footed lik the rest of the fabbed pieces.

113.JPG 114.JPG 115.JPG 116.jpg 117.jpg
    Last edited by BUMBLESPECIMOODA; 04-17-2024 at 09:22 AM. Reason: PICS DIDN'T LOAD

Boat is going to look like one seamless piece of carbon fiber. Your work looks flawless.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayerUnknown069 View Post
    Boat is going to look like one seamless piece of carbon fiber. Your work looks flawless.
    Thanks for the comments. It's full of flaws, but I call them character.

Started on the fore bulkhead.

127.jpg 128.JPG 129.jpg 130.JPG

The wee drum of lubricant, might be hinting at the paint-scheme...
    Last edited by BUMBLESPECIMOODA; 04-25-2024 at 10:11 AM.

Default Steering system & plumbing

Mocked up the steering parts, and fabbed the inner shapes for the water pick-ups. The aluminum shapes will be sleeved in carbon fiber, and mounted with the stuffing-tube in between them.

110.JPG 111.JPG 112.JPG A.JPG B.JPG

Very impressive work! What are the aluminum 'straws' next to the drive supports for? Is it for water cooling?

*edit* Ah I didn't read your post well. It's for water pickups. Looking great!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Jan View Post
    Very impressive work! Looking great!
    It's coming along.

Here's a flaw. I totally forgot to calculate where the rudder sits, in relation to the faux hydro-rams. With the rudder centered, the ram stactions should be in middle stroke. I was off by 1/8". It will work fine, but gotta make it right. The answer?... Shims.

C.JPG

These will space back the rams.

OMG, do I wish I had that kind of access to all of my cat hulls when mocking up and installing the steering components.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    OMG, do I wish I had that kind of access to all of my cat hulls when mocking up and installing the steering components.
    It does make it easier to mock stuff up:

D.JPG

Tried a slick coat of clear on the scoops too. Nect will be the bandit mask and the carbon rudder parts.

E.JPG

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345