Thread: Traxxas Villain EX EVX-2 motor replacement

Default Traxxas Villain EX EVX-2 motor replacement

Has anyone ever tried to use different motors with the stock EVX-2 Marine ESC on the Traxxas Villain EX? My stock Titan 550 stock motors keep getting all rusted and I have already replaced them 3 times (with stock Titan 550?s), but eventually they rust. I found some waterproof motors from Injora that come as either 25 turn or 21 turn (also come in other turns, but I don?t want to put a hot motor in there and have it fry the ESC) that are sealed/waterproof brushed motors. I just don?t know if they would fry the ESC or not. Anyone ever try non Traxxas motors with the Traxxas EVX-2 Marine ESC?

Most stock motors are 27 turn. Some RTR boats ( and cars ) came with a little hotter wind. Probably nothing below a 21 turn. Do you know what wind
    the stock Titan's are. Even if you don't, you should be safe replacing them with 25 turn motors. The fact that they are not manufactured by Traxxas is completely irrelevant. If the stock ones are 21 turn them by the 21 turn replacement motors. How come they keep rusting. Even if you are taking on
    a little water when running, when you get home dry the motors. Leave the boat with the hatch removed in the direct sunlight for several hours ( weather permitting ) or use a hair dryer. Afterwards put a couple of drops of oil on the bushing or bearing at either end of the motor.

Holmes Trailmaster 550 motors 27T motors are what I put in my old Villian. Worked well.

Quote Originally Posted by Panchothedog View Post
    Most stock motors are 27 turn. Some RTR boats ( and cars ) came with a little hotter wind. Probably nothing below a 21 turn. Do you know what wind
    the stock Titan's are. Even if you don't, you should be safe replacing them with 25 turn motors. The fact that they are not manufactured by Traxxas is completely irrelevant. If the stock ones are 21 turn them by the 21 turn replacement motors. How come they keep rusting. Even if you are taking on
    a little water when running, when you get home dry the motors. Leave the boat with the hatch removed in the direct sunlight for several hours ( weather permitting ) or use a hair dryer. Afterwards put a couple of drops of oil on the bushing or bearing at either end of the motor.

Thanks. They have rusted over time. I have had my Villain EX since 2006 and have gone through 3 pairs of motors and am now ready to replace with a 4th set. According to Traxxas, the stock Titans are 24 turn but I found Injora waterproof brushed 550 motors (either in 21 turn or 25 turn, but the 21 turn looks more sealed at the end). The stock motors don?t rust right away. It is something that happens over time even though I dry the motors and spray the outside with WD-40 and the inside with motor cleaning spray. I haven?t tried leaving it outside or a hair dryer, but will definitely try it. Do you think the waterproof Injora motors will work? I was thinking of doing the 21 turn waterproof motors. Right now I have completely disassembled my Villain because the drive shafts were messed up so I ordered new ones and some other parts and am doing a complete rebuild. One thing that may have contributed to the rusting of this most recent set is I noticed that the tubing going from the intake in the middle of the stern of the boat going to the water cooling system of the ESC had torn in half, so water was probably being pulled into the compartment where the motors sit, so I ordered new tubing to replace it.