Thread: Paul Goddard's first wood RC Boat. Mahogany and balsa, with maple plywood v hull seg

Default Paul Goddard's first wood RC Boat. Mahogany and balsa, with maple plywood v hull seg

Last edited by Paul Goddard; 11-26-2023 at 09:56 PM. Reason: graupner jet drive with 4682 motor, 4s 6200 ma

Cool A lot of balsa, thin marine plywood, and veneer

Quote Originally Posted by sheilabecher View Post
    Wow! It's truly a masterpiece. How can you do that? Great work, bro!

geometry dash scratch
    Balsa, marine epoxy, mahogany, plywood, veneer and patience. The first, the River Runner is scaled like a steath rum runner from the roaring twenties. Jet drive is not consistent, but great for shallow pools in creek. The boats are fabbed with a balsa core, almost full in first one, a full-size boat would hold 99 small kegs of rum. The rapids racer has hollowed out balsa, sealed with epoxy on inside, and the outside coated with Tigerwood veneer, sealed with epoxy and 104 glass. Deck coated with gasket material so hammerhead can screw down and seal. The top profile of racer is similar to a .50 BMG slug. River Runner about 10 1/2 lbs. with battery, very realistic behavior for a planing hull. Rapids racer 9 1/2 pounds, gets up on plane fast! The new twin engine catamarans with carbon fiber/fiberglass hulls are record breakers. I got inspired watching the 2 stroke rc cats at Twin Lakes park in Marysville, WA.

boatclose.jpgRacer with Running Lights.jpg River Runner with correct LED running lights and antenna pole for long range on lake in Mountlake Terrace, WA A windy day with some waves, had to be careful hopping chops.

Truly a bright and clear scene. I wonder how many years of experience you have for fabrication.

ChuckPatrickDemonBoat.jpg
    I started working on boats in 1999
    repairing my quadraplegic friend Chuck's 23-foot Warlock with a 350 chevy small block with 2 huge Rajay turbochargers. He and Patrick took it out on Shark Point in Santa Cruz, CA and hopped off a crest, dropped 3 stories, ate water past an exhaust flapper valve and tore up deck. The heated Recaro seat was almost torn off. The aluminum exhaust elbows were eaten up so I designed new Stainless steel ones, sent his brother Robert who worked at Allison in Detroit flanges and visio drawing, and he fabricated new elbows with 4 taps, old Peavy elbows just used 2 taps and would crack exhaust manifolds. With 7-pound springs in the popoff valves it would do 85 mph on light chop lake water at 5200 rpm and 850 hp.