Thread: Rudder placement

Default Rudder placement

Hey Guys,
    Building a 35" DF mono and wondering should the rudder be placed closer to the transom in relation to the prop or should it be placed behind the prop. Right now my bracket is putting rudder even with prop and I am wondering how it will affect steering? I am thinking it should be closer to the transom so water is less disturbed, but not sure. Anybody have an answer for me?
    Thanks,
    Roy1

What you have will work just fine.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

You are a question brings to mind a custom carbon fiber rudder bracket that was recently made by another member, who had created a thread to "showcase" the forged carbon fiber bracket. The bracket is is extremely long, placing it well behind the stinger (which is already/also quite long). The Op of that thread hasn't provided any dimensional data, but I suspect the rudder bracket is at least 25% the length of the hull (if I remember correctly, I believe it's a DF 28).

Honestly, I know little-to-nothing about any possible correlation between rudder bracket length & hull length...but, to my untrained eye, I'm fairly sure it's too long. No one has said anything to him (at least, not yet) about the extensive length of the rudder bracket, thus I can only assume that everyone is waiting to see what happens when he runs it the first time. The one...and only...thing I know is, all the boats I have (approx a dozen, from 17" mono , to 34-36" mono, cat & hydro) have the rudder anywhere from the rear of the rudder being slightly in front of the front of the prop, to the front of the rudder being slightly behind the rear of the proper. Three of the boats have the redder almost alongside the prop.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

I don't know why, but I thought it would be better if the rudder was placed before the prop closer to the transom. I guess I just figured that it would catch more water and steer better. Does anyone know someone who has tried that before, just curious as to what happened,