Thread: Running in Saltwater question

Default Running in Saltwater question

Hello all
    For logistical and convenience reasons I?m tempted to run my Zonda in Saltwater.
    Being a boater for many decades I know the havoc that salt can and will inflict on just about everything.
    Having said that, is the cleanup worth the convenience?
    Other than flushing it with freshwater, what?s involved?
    Pulling the motors to lube the bearings is a no starter, as pulling them is a major hassle. However I don?t know if that?s even necessary.
    I appreciate your input on this
    Thanks

Running in brackish water for several years and really no difference with respect to fresh or salt on my part.
    Flush with water, grease shafts and done. If you turn over or have a lot of water in the boat you will have to pull motors and oil the bearings but haven't done that in ~ 2 seasons.

I have been running in nothing but salt water for 30 years. San Diego model boat pond. As long as you don't dunk it, flush your cooling system with fresh water, rinse off external hardware, and grease the flex shaft. If you do dunk it, well everything needs to come out. Would probably do the same for fresh water.

Thanks guys, so as long as it doesn’t take on water it’s just a simple flush �� good to know.

Hey Guys, I live on the Mornington Peninsula in Victoria Australia. I don't have any decent freshwater areas to run close by but have a protected saltwater bay 5 minutes from home. I tend to run in the bay because it works so well and it's close to home.
    I take bottles of fresh water, one with a length of cooling hose and nipple fitted. As soon as I'm done, it's back to the car, thoroughly rinse with fresh water top and bottom of the hull and in particular the hardware. Open the hatch, disconnect the batteries, mop up any drops of water with a fresh water wet cloth to dilute. Flush the cooling lines with fresh water.
    I'm usually home within 5 minutes where I remove the flex shaft then proceed to blow compressed air with a trigger gun over the hardware, blow excess water from the cooling lines and inside the hull, everything is left dry.
    I grease the flex shaft each run and have never had any major problems, none which would differ from freshwater running IMO.

A simple plastic garden sprayer, the kind you pump up filled with fresh water works great for flushing cooling system and washing hardware at the pond. I usually flush out stuffing tube and wash flex shaft the next day. Haven't had any adverse problems waiting until the following day.

i run in salt almost exclusively. the most important thing i do is grease all electrical connections. especially the lipo balance connectors. the salt water corrodes faster then you think.