Thread: 1/4 flex max radius

Default 1/4 flex max radius

Hi guys,
    I'm trying to make a compact outboard and was wondering what the max bend radius would be for a 1/4 flex? I came up with this design using a .187 flex but it snapped flexes on 6s with a 700kv motor. My goal is 12s which I know will need 1/4 flex so I am just trying to get an idea on the max bend radius.

Thanks,
    RichFlex outboard 1.jpg
    24 R/C vehicles and still counting...What budget?

Rich, I would suggest looking at the other successful gas size outdrives. Most will have a larger radius.

https://zipptest.com/product/cutthroat-gas-drive/

https://www.insaneboats.com/product/...nel-drive-unit
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

Quote Originally Posted by RaceMechaniX View Post
    Rich, I would suggest looking at the other successful gas size outdrives. Most will have a larger radius.

https://zipptest.com/product/cutthroat-gas-drive/

https://www.insaneboats.com/product/...nel-drive-unit
    Thanks for the links! I meant the smallest radius now that I read my post. I'm not sure what i can get away with to make my design small.

Depends on the structure of the cable itself. I have some 1/4" cables that are so stiff, the bend radius is probably 18". Octura flex cables are probably the most flexible, in my experience.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

I got some cable from hyperformance and it seems to be pretty flexible. How does one bend brass to a consistent radius?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I got some cable from hyperformance and it seems to be pretty flexible. How does one bend brass to a consistent radius?
    Heat the brass just to the point it starts to faintly glow then quench in water
    bend against a round shape with the radius you want
    heat it again and let air cool to harden
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Heat the brass just to the point it starts to faintly glow then quench in water
    bend against a round shape with the radius you want
    heat it again and let air cool to harden
    Thanks fweasel! I 3d printed a 4.5 in radius and bent the brass and it came out pretty good. Im going to try and see if I can bend to a 4 inch radius next.

Quote Originally Posted by Monaliza View Post
    When using a 1/4 flex, the maximum bend radius will depend on the specific type of flex you are using. However, as a general rule, a 1/4 flex should not be bent to a radius smaller than 2.5 inches. It's important to keep in mind that the bend radius will affect the overall flexibility and durability of the flex, so it's important to choose the appropriate size for your specific application. Additionally, it's important to consider the weight and power of your motor when designing your outboard to ensure that it can handle the load.Fun Games
    Monaliza, have you successfully bent and ran a 1/4 flex to 2.5in radius? That seems steep to me, but I could be wrong.

Ignore Monaliza. Thats is just another new spambot account making Chat GPT replies, just like the majority of the weekly new account signups and new post on this site are. There is also a hidden external gaming URL at the end of the post that can only be seen in dark mode. I've reported it to the mods
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
    Ignore Monaliza. Thats is just another new spambot account making Chat GPT replies, just like the majority of the weekly new account signups and new post on this site are. There is also a hidden external gaming URL at the end of the post that can only be seen in dark mode. I've reported it to the mods
    Thanks. I kinda figured that was the case since that was the first post for that username.

And the fake replies are very easy to spot, because they look more like a Google search response vs the way any real person would reply