Thread: Battery and ESC Connectors and Wire gauge

Default Battery and ESC Connectors and Wire gauge

I could really use some help with sizing connectors for both the battery pack and the ESC installations and proper wire gauge to do this.

My thoughts are could I have for instance have on hand ESC connectors in three different sizes and power connectors to cover most of the installs I might need to do instead of having to order stuff to get a boat put together. Most of the stuff I do is not super powerful but proper sized wire and connectors make for a reliable boat.

Thanks for your advise on this.

Lee

First, where ESCs are concerned, you don't really have a 'choice' on the wire gauge between ESC & battery. With a few ESCs, you might be able to replace the wires...but, worth the great majority of them, what the factory installed is what you have to work with. However, where's batteries are concerned, you do, sometimes, have the ability to choose. For example, when it comes to SMC, different 'lines' utilize different gauges.

Second, when it comes to the entirety of an RC collection, you really don't want to be dealing with several different connector types. I know RTRs come in almost every connector type...and, even when changing them (especially those friggin Traxxas connectors), we still tend to end up with several different connectors (at one point, I had vehicles/vessels with EC2, XT30, Deans (T-style), XT60, 4mm bullets, EC3, XT90, EC5, and 7.5mm bullets)...but minimizing as much as possible is best. Although my charger has XT60 ports & 5mm bullets, just think about all the different charging cables I needed...plus, I had two of every cable (since I have a dual charger).

Best thing to do is look over all current vehicles/vessels, and think about any future vehicles/vessels you might have. Then, look at current (and think about future) motor/ESC combos, and power levels you run (or will run), determine the best 2-3 connectors...and, apply them, appropriately, throughout your collection. Although I have not completely finished the "conversion", I am in the process of drastically narrowing down the number of connector styles on my ESCs & batteries. Once complete, all of my vehicles/vessels will utilize only XT60 & QS8, plus 2-3 running XT30.

Two things to understand:
    1) There's nothing wrong with using a connector designed to handle more power than your ESC/motor needs. If in doubt, go with the larger connector.
    2) XT60 & XT90 connectors can actually handle a fair bit more Amperage then what the specs claim. This has been tested, and proven, by a number of reliable & trustworthy people.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    Last edited by Panther6834; 10-15-2023 at 12:07 PM.

I've standardized my boats that use 4S and 6S lipos on the OSE 8mm antispark connector. I have the Castle 6.5mm polarized connectors on all my 3S packs, but will likely move those to the 8mm antispark when I buy new 3S packs. I have 6, 8, and 10AWG wire on hand to match the gauge wire on my ESC's when I'm creating a series connector setup or making my own cap packs.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

8mm connectors with 8awg wire on everything. that makes a boat good for 175a sustained.

things that already have 10awg wire installed, batteries and esc, cut those to about 1.5" and install 8mm bullets/EC8/QS8. Wire resistance is gauge x length so shortening them does work.

of course 10mm bullets and 6awg wire is even better. but 8 seems to suffice.

I too once had a bunch of different connectors on different vehicles and boats. TRX, XT60, XT90, EC5, EC8, and QS8. Motors were just as bad, 4.5mm, 5mm, 5.5mm, 6mm, 6.5mm, and 8mm.

I bit the bullet, and standardized, and it's made life so much easier. QS8's on everything. I don't care if it's a 2wd Slash or my 24" N2 Sport Hydro or an X-Maxx or a Q Mono or T Cat. Everything I have has QS8 battery connectors on it. All my motor connectors are standardized. Every motor has 8mm Castle bullet connectors, the only exception being those that run a Castle ESC where the female bullets are built into the ESC, like the X8S ESC's that power a number of my boats, they have Castle 6.5mm bullet connectors.

I typically let the ESC dictate the ga wire I use. 10ga on the ESC? 10ga wire everywhere else. 8ga on the ESC? 8ga wire everywhere else.
    Last edited by tbonemcniel; 10-16-2023 at 08:54 AM.

Thanks for all this information!! I can at least make sure I'm not undersizing connectors or wire. My buddy had a boat burn and it wasn't fun to watch. So with this advise I can prevent this from happening again to me or my buddy.

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by cruisor View Post
    Thanks for all this information!! I can at least make sure I'm not undersizing connectors or wire. My buddy had a boat burn and it wasn't fun to watch.
    You're welcome...and, best of luck to you. As for your buddy's boat, sorry to hear about that. That's exactly why I pay extra attention to wire gauge when ordering LiPo batteries. I've killed an ESC (on a 1/10 off-road buggy), as well as a couple motors (both in a SonicWake), but I definitely prefer not causing an entire vehicle/vessel to go up in flames...at least, not unless I'm doing it on purpose...lol

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place