Thread: Flex cable and collets

Default Flex cable and collets

Newbie Looking for a solution, I?m struggling with this issue of my collet digging into my flex cable causing it to get more and more difficult to remove.
    are some collet manufacturers better than others and how tight is tight enough
    I tried not tightening it as much then the cable spins in the collet, the cable is .150 with a 3.0 x 3/16 shaft which brings up my next question.
    I can?t seem to find a cable to fit my boat unless ai make one from parts which ai have never done, any suggestions on how to attach the shaft to the cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    Newbie Looking for a solution, I?m struggling with this issue of my collet digging into my flex cable causing it to get more and more difficult to remove.
    are some collet manufacturers better than others and how tight is tight enough
    I tried not tightening it as much then the cable spins in the collet, the cable is .150 with a 3.0 x 3/16 shaft which brings up my next question.
    I can?t seem to find a cable to fit my boat unless ai make one from parts which ai have never done, any suggestions on how to attach the shaft to the cable.
    Try to solder the flex cable end ,that will prevent the collect get in to the cable.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn CPH2409 met Tapatalk

I have great luck with the OSE collets. Not sure what you have for a boat but compared to the stock Proboat collets, they are MUCH better.

I have a habit of overtightening my collets, in fear of losing the cable and prop to the depths. The OSE ones tighten up much better and so far last way longer.

You can purchase replacement cables from OSE, and collets, although I see they are out of stock currently. Give Steven V an email perhaps.

You can solder the end of your shaft, in fact you should. I use a large electrical cable crimp as a pot, melt solder into it with a butane torch and dip the end of the cable in until it heats up and the solder builds up on the end. After it has cooled , I chuck the shaft end of the cable in a cordless drill and use some sand paper to on the end while running the drill to remove excess solder and size it to fit the collet.

Another trick for the collet is to put some antiseize on the thread, I use a copper coat one. This helps to prevent the threads from picking up and makes it easier to do up and undo.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
    You can purchase replacement cables from OSE, and collets, although I see they are out of stock currently.
    Actually, OSE has most sizes (including OSE units) in-stock. I know that, as of a week ago, a lot of them were "out of stock"...but, maybe a shipment can't in during the week, and Steve got the online stock updated today.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Once a cable spins in the collet, I consider both the cable and collet junk because both have had material ground off and will never hold properly again. Although, I do usually cut the damaged end off the cable and save it for another future project.

I'm assuming your boat is an RTR model because of the .150 sized cable. The collets on those models are often junk. As others have mentioned, start with a better collet, the stainless collets from TFL and OSE are pretty good, and I too put a small amount of anti-seize on the threads to make sure they engage properly and smoothly.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)