Thread: Newbie switch question

Default Newbie switch question

Setting up Zonda for the first time (1?st RC boat)
    I upgraded the esc?s To 150a Flycolour (only change)
    Im installing the servo and realized that there isn?t a switch in the boat to turn off the receiver.
    Is this normal or should I install one?
    If so how?
    Thanks

Receivers don't have power switches. In boats, even a lot of ESCs don't have a power switch...you "power on" the boat by plugging the battery (or final battery for boats using more than one pack) into the ESC. Although I have yet to have any switch problems, people have experienced problems with some switches, and the usual way most 'fix' the problem is by cutting the switch wiring as close to the ESC as possible, and soldering the red & black wires together, completely eliminating the switch.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Good to know.
    My proboat Tug has a switch inside the boat to turn off the receiver. I just assumed that it was a standard practice.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TeakFreak View Post
    Good to know.
    My proboat Tug has a switch inside the boat to turn off the receiver. I just assumed that it was a standard practice.
    Thanks
    If you follow the wiring of that switch, you'll see the other end is connected to the ESC. I've never seen a receiver with a power switch. The closest you'll get to any 'exception' is an ESC/receiver combo, which is exactly what's in the Horizon Harbor Tug. When you move the switch in your tug, technically, you're not powering on/off the receiver side of the unit...you're powering on/off the ESC side of the unit. If you look at most of the micro-scale surface vehicles (Axial SCX24, Losi Mini-B/Mini-T, etc), you'll see they also use ESC/Rx combo units.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Thanks again
    I plugged it all in (servo and receiver not installed yet but connected)
    receiver lights up and servo works.
    No throttle however, just beeping from receiver.
    Battery is fresh out of the box and I expect a minimal charge. Don’t know if that would be the issue.
    Im new to this but thinking maybe it’s a binding or programming thing.

Never heard a receiver "beeping"... ESC, yes, but Rx, no.

Anyway, try this, and see if it resolves everything:

First, fully charge battery. If you haven't already done so, it's recommend programming the ESC next (either via a computer & software, or programming box). This is also a good opportunity to update the ESC's firmware, if programming via computer. Next, you need to bind/rebind the Tx & Rx. Turn on transmitter, plug battery into ESC (alternately, if you have a battery with a JR connector, you can plug that directly into the receiver, without needing anything else (ESC or servo) connected), and follow the binding procedure for your Tx/Rx (the binding procedure would be in the manual for your Tx and/or Rx). Finally, unplug the battery. Tx & Rx should now be bound.

Once the Tx & Rx are bound, it's time to calibrate the throttle for the ESC. Plug the battery into the ESC (did this, you can't use the "battery into Rx" option), and follow the calibration method for the ESC (directions for throttle calibration would be in the ESC's manual). Also, make you you know the calibration procedure BEFORE you plug the battery back into the ESC. With calibration complete, verify that the motor/prop is rotating the correct direction. If not, swapping any two wire connections between the ESC & motor should correct that problem. Once again, unplug the battery, and plug it back in.

With everything connected (battery to ESC, ESC to Rx, servo to Rx), and as long as the battery still has at least 3.2V/cell (as least 3.7V/cell is better), everything should be operating correctly. If not, theirs everyone in the trash, and go buy a new boat...just kidding.

Thank you very much for taking your time and sharing your knowledge with me.
    You are correct about the beeping but it’s the motors that beep.
    Batteries are fully charged as suggested.
    Followed the binding and esc programming instructions. Watched Utube videos but nothing works as shown.
    Immediate steady beeping when batteries connected.

It’s not going to arm unless it sees zero throttle for safety. Is the throttle actually at zero, without any trim of any kind? This can also happen if your throttle channel is reversed in the radio, otherwise do an online search for a manual for the ESC, and look up and see what the beep codes mean

Most often it’s because the ESC doesn’t see zero throttle, or there is no signal from the receiver to the ESC due to improper plug slot or plug position within the receiver
    Last edited by Xrayted; 10-02-2023 at 06:17 PM.

Have you done a throttle calibration each BOTH esc, one at a time, plugged directly into the receiver throttle channel, with all throttle trims set to zero? Also, you made no mention of what brand radio and receiver you're using. If it's futaba, some models need the throttle channel to be reversed in the transmitter settings before ESC calibration will complete successfully.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)