Thread: Grease port?

Default Grease port?

Has anyone tried drilling a small ? 1/16? ? hole in the foot of the strut to allow additional grease application without having to remove the shaft? At the end of the session, I would pull, inspect, clean and regrease. Not sure I said that very clearly. Just wondering if that?s a good idea.

they make continuous shaft oilers

images (1).jpeg
    1_6c0c708788dfe9f87c4c0de5a8fe5300.jpg

they also make struts with grease nipples
    download.jpeg

Yep, I’ve seen those and variations on the theme. I was just thinking that the nipple doesn’t actually seal the hole, so why not just drill a small hole? I was hoping somebody else had tried before I go destroy an expensive strut

The ETTI struts have such a hole to oil the bearings between runs, but they use ball bearings so a thin oil is needed and that can easily be squirted in with a straw on a can, or a needle from a syringe, I dont know how you would get grease for a bushing down a hole that small.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

That is how my 1/8th scale strut is set up but it uses oil in the strut assembly . Using Piano wire drive. If you have a really small tip on your grease gun I can see it working.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a tube of the blue marine grease, can?t recall the brand, and the pump that screws onto it. I measured the tip at about 3/32?. The stream of grease it pumps out is very thin. So, yes, it has a very small tip.

It was just a random thought. I?ll probably just keep doing what everyone else does ? pull shaft, clean, inspect, grease, re-install.

Thanks everyone!

its good to clean it and wipe off any water anyway.

i have in a my struts and stingers a lube hole ,i use quicksilver 2-4 grease from mercury works perfect and strut and stinger bearings live long (i use a dynamite grease gun it fits on the grease tube)

I agree with Bande1, I could keep my shafts greased without removing them, but I do it anyway to get the few water drops on them off as I dont want rusted shafts. That will happen eventually if not removed