Thread: Raider 150a esc up in smoke

Default Raider 150a esc up in smoke

Okay so have been really stumped on this one. New 150a esc From Ose installed into the boat 2 - 3 cell lipos ran in series for 6s, New leo 2000kv motor as well. The hull was a sonic wake 36 I'm giving to a buddy of mine. After installing motor and esc on bench I'll connect the lipos and run up the motor to check it as to rotation direction and function, blip the throttle a few times The esc lets out a big puff of smoke deep with in the esc. I rush and unplug the The lipos and take the boat outside. The later in the day I rob a 150a Raider from my 4s boat and installed the esc into the sonic and same configuration and loud cracking noise and burnt small. so two Escs in smoke on Sunday

Leo 2000kv 4082 D wind
    Batteries are Chnl lipo 3s 90c speed run packs.
    settings that have been changed
    Timming on setting 2 3.75*
    motor start *5

Sounds like there's a short in that Leo motor or something to kill two ESC's like that.

I have a 27" monohull with a 3670 motor on 4s. at a tad over 50 mph it pulls 155A. Ive had it up to 169A through a flycolor 150. If all things were equal with your boat; 4s, 50-55mph you'd be pulling even more than my 27 inch because the boat has more drag and weight. Then add on top of that you are on a much larger motor and 6s. Then on top of all that you're running too high of timing and you are max starting current. Timing needs to be 0 on D wind. start should be setting 3 at most. if not setting 0.

you need a larger ESC. Or you need to prop down. you should be around 4014-4214 max on 6s at 2000kv with that ESC.

I'm pretty sure not the motor. I also connected a older hobby wing 120a esc i had laying around and the Leo motor ran like normal. Originally had a leo 4074 2000k y wind when i first set the boat up and the 150 went up.so i thought bad motor and got the 4082. Then the same issue. Just can't wrap my head around this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bande1 View Post
    I have a 27" monohull with a 3670 motor on 4s. at a tad over 50 mph it pulls 155A. Ive had it up to 169A through a flycolor 150. If all things were equal with your boat; 4s, 50-55mph you'd be pulling even more than my 27 inch because the boat has more drag and weight. Then add on top of that you are on a much larger motor and 6s. Then on top of all that you're running too high of timing and you are max starting current. Timing needs to be 0 on D wind. start should be setting 3 at most. if not setting 0.

you need a larger ESC.
    He said it was on the bench.

I'd say bad motor or it's not working well with d wind.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

This had happens on the bench no load.
    Timming on level 2. 3.75 * This issue would happen on the bench after assembly and blipping the trigger to check systems before going to the water. I do know my way around for the most part of the hobby but always learning. I also race in namba with an local club for a few years now. These 150s been really good to me as long as I run them with in their capabiltys. MY sport boats ive had a few with a the same combo on 6s and stay to the 442 size prop to a 44 max low pitch 1.4.

I'd get with Steven from ose and see what he says.

That is the process and they?re being sent back.
    Post made to see if there?s anything I?m missing or overlooking

Just throwing things at the wall, but I’ve seen brushless motors burn ESC‘s like this from having the screws in the base mount a little too long and touching the windings causing a short

Quote Originally Posted by Xrayted View Post
    Just throwing things at the wall, but I?ve seen brushless motors burn ESC?s like this from having the screws in the base mount a little too long and touching the windings causing a short
    I thought this as well and with another person and screws are proper length not to touch. 3x10mm screws if i remember right.

i was looking at the specs (motor) yesterday 4082 2000kvd wind, 148 amps max, 3500 wats max and 25 volts max. now if my math is correct. the spec's are based off volts @ 3.7 per cell 148/3500 fully charged lipo can be 4.2 volts per cells max till it discharges. So in theory the motor is pushing the capability's of the 150 amp esc. Then my setting change for the motor start up, more punch out of the hole max value in the esc would make the motor start harder and pull more amps/watts when the trigger is pulled and the motor spins up faster and harder. The esc will only POP with the motor starts up and spins. That initial start and spin up. The only thing that can make sense to me.

One lesson I've learned, D-wind needs 0 degree. Might be your combo of high punch plus the 'aggressive' 3 deg setting spell disaster for your ESC.
    D-wound have a very high in-rush current, adding high motor start plus extra power due to the angle and you might have the source of your smoke.

I know, some people get away with higher than 0 degree etc and 0-5 can be used, but this is very setup specific.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanj View Post
    I thought this as well and with another person and screws are proper length not to touch. 3x10mm screws if i remember right.

i was looking at the specs (motor) yesterday 4082 2000kvd wind, 148 amps max, 3500 wats max and 25 volts max. now if my math is correct. the spec's are based off volts @ 3.7 per cell 148/3500 fully charged lipo can be 4.2 volts per cells max till it discharges. So in theory the motor is pushing the capability's of the 150 amp esc. Then my setting change for the motor start up, more punch out of the hole max value in the esc would make the motor start harder and pull more amps/watts when the trigger is pulled and the motor spins up faster and harder. The esc will only POP with the motor starts up and spins. That initial start and spin up. The only thing that can make sense to me.
    amp draw out of the water is minimal. The only other common thing that smokes an ESC like this is over-voltage.

All depends on motor. This is from lmtScreenshot_20230926_210940_Samsung Internet.jpg

Are you sure your 3S packs are 3S packs, or not overcharged? Like you didn't accidentally hook 8S to it did you?

I remember burning up a brand new raider 150 on land one time.

It was my fault, I accidentally soldered the esc battery connectors wrong so it burnt up because of reverse voltage polarity.

As far as the raider 150 goes those esc will handle 150 continious for probably oval racing.

And if you doing saw type running 2 passes and come in to cool down. They will handle over 300 from what I have see with my own eyes.

I saw a raider 150 handle a lehner 2240 5 turn on 6s with a x640. For reference the 2240 5 turn lehner is rated at 2950 kv loaded or somewhere around that. And the raider 150 easily handled it on 6s with a x640.

I used to do drag type racing with the raider with setups that datalogged around 310 amps peak and fall off to 250amps at peak speed. The races used to be 4 to 5 seconds long at the 250 amps minimum.

I run a Raider 150 in a H&M Intruder S with a TP 4060 1650kv with a prather 230 and no problem what so ever and stays cool(on 6s)

Update to this thread; After reading dome key points of this thread. I made two changes to the settings to a new 150 amp esc and so far its working perfect and the boat runs well. The changes were backing off the throttle punch ( Motor start ) to level 3, Less of a instant start up power and timing dropped to 0 from 3.75 degrees.

Seems to me. The higher start up power (punch of the line motor start) and timing was possibility a over current on esc when the motor first started to rotate. I know already 150a esc and the 4082 2000kv, 6s is already pushing the limits of the 150 amp esc running the fine line of Catastrophic failure. figuring the watts/amps/ volts to the system. Then i add into this pot of pushing the system harder to get every Oz of power out of it. Hahaha So Poof. learning the hard way i will say and now i have a better understanding of the limits.