Thread: how to square flex cable/which cable?

Default how to square flex cable/which cable?

Hey guys I need some help. I am trying to square some .187 flex I bought here on ose. The ose cable seems to be stiffer. The cable that comes with my outboard is more flexible and seems to be a finer wire. I have a press and a die that I made to square the ends but the cable seems stiffer than the one that comes with my outboard. I am making my own cables because I am building my own lower from scratch.

Any ideas on where I can get the finer cable or tips on squaring?

Thanks,
    Rich
    24 R/C vehicles and still counting...What budget?

TFL has them also ,look at tfl-hobby.de you can see what they have ,then oder it from a tfl dealer near you

Quote Originally Posted by koen View Post
    TFL has them also ,look at tfl-hobby.de you can see what they have ,then oder it from a tfl dealer near you
    Thanks for the reply Koen, it looks like they also have both left and right lay cable as well. Do you know of any distributors in the usa?

Might ask either one below, I'd order from aliexpress directly. Typical 2 week ship.
    No way for you to run round ones? Makes life so much simpler, I typically tin the ends, which is easy to do.

https://tflnorthamerica.com/

https://www.instagram.com/angeljnaveda/

0.187 is 4.76mm, can't tell what length you need. Below link is only as a guide, wrong diameter
    1PCS TFL 2.2/3.17/4mm Flex Cable Drive Shaft Dual Round/Square Round/Dual Square Length 300mm Spare Parts for RC Electric Boat - AliExpress

I believe square cable ends are done with a die and press, not something you'd be able to accomplish yourself in a home workshop.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Last edited by properchopper; 09-14-2023 at 04:19 PM.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    I believe square cable ends are done with a die and press, not something you'd be able to accomplish yourself in a home workshop.
    I have a press and a die. I work in a fabrication shop. I'm just worried the stiffer cable will be problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    Thanks properchopper I'll see what he can do for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I have a press and a die. I work in a fabrication shop. I'm just worried the stiffer cable will be problematic.

Thanks properchopper I'll see what he can do for me.
    OOps - Frank

2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Did you try heating the flex cable end and heating the die before putting it in the press? Might help.

OOps - Frank
    Haha good thing I didn't call him yet

Quote Originally Posted by 1coopgt View Post
    Did you try heating the flex cable end and heating the die before putting it in the press? Might help.
    Thats not a bad idea. I might give that a try until I can call up Frank at hyperperformance.
    Last edited by Diegoboy; 09-15-2023 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Fixed quote

OOps - Frank

Properchopper, have you contacted Frank recently? I called him and place an order but haven't been charged yet for the cables and I have left 2 messages with no reply. Not trying to bash or complain about him just curious if he has something else going on.

Rich,

Can't really say, don't know, haven't seen him at the lake for quite a while. I'll call & see what happens.

Rich,

Can't really say, don't know, haven't seen him at the lake for quite a while. I'll call & see what happens.
    Thanks I appreciate it! I hope he's ok.

Rich,

properchopper did you by chance get a hold of him?

The square of the cable will cause it to be stiffer. It's not a problem if straight, but if a radius is near the square end it will whip. Just something to keep in mind. The finer strand on the original helps stay flexible.

Rich,

It looks like he got to them, he charged my card.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver954 View Post
    The square of the cable will cause it to be stiffer. It's not a problem if straight, but if a radius is near the square end it will whip. Just something to keep in mind. The finer strand on the original helps stay flexible.
    I ran one of my cables in a test tank and it loosened up a bit so we will see what happens with the other cable. I have cables made and will see what happens.