Thread: ESC for Jet Boat - What to get ???

Default ESC for Jet Boat - What to get ???

As I mentioned in another thread, I am prepping to rebuild my TFL Jet Boat, part of which involves moving the ESC to where the current battery tray is, and switching to smaller dual batteries, one on each side of the ESC, which should create a more 'balanced' boat. In the boat's stock configuration, it is not balanced, with the port side being heavier than starboard side (motor & battery are centered, ESC & servo on port side, and Rx on starboard side). The rest of the plan involves a motor in the 1350-1550kv range, and either two 4S packs around 3000mAh or two 2S packs around 6000mAh.

What ESC to go with is the next (actually, final) question. I could stick with the stock ESC, but I feel it is a little underpowered...especially considering I'll be "upgrading"from 3S, to 4S. Initially, I was considering the OSE Raider 150A. Technically, I am still considering it...but, I have also been made aware of its inefficient cooling design (for which the fault lies with Flycolor, not OSE). Most of my other boats use the HW Seaking 180A, but I'm sure this is "overkill" for the 24" Jet Boat. I would consider the Spektrum Firma 120A Marine, but I haven't exactly heard 'good' things about its use in land vehicles, so not certain I should trust it in marine use (ie. for those with the SonicWake V2, one of the first upgrades people have done is to replace the Firma 120A Marine ESC with the Firma 160A Marine ESC, which is supposedly a LOT better than the 120A version.

As such, I am looking for other options worth considering. What other options would people recommend? Or, should I just stick with the OSE Raider 150A, as I had originally intended?

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

I have a converted Pursuit with this jet drive in it running a 1400kv 3674 motor. I had an old HK 120 ESC around so that is what is in it. I run 4s2p 4000mah and it runs one heck of a long time. Absolutely no issues with the 120 so I would think even a raider 90 would work well. I have been running them in a couple of my 30” boats flawlessly.

Shawn

OSE Raider 150, next step up would be a Castle Hydra X. You can always upgrade after the fact.

Quote Originally Posted by jkflow View Post
    OSE Raider 150, next step up would be a Castle Hydra X. You can always upgrade after the fact.
    I, definitely, would not consider a Hydra X the "next step up"...that's more like a "giant leap up". Even the lower of the two models (Hydra X 8S) is overkill for a 24" jet boat, as it's more for something like a P-Limited/Open mono. Admittedly, I have considered this, and it's larger Hydra XLX2 sibling...but, for my race boats.

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    I have a converted Pursuit with this jet drive in it running a 1400kv 3674 motor. I had an old HK 120 ESC around so that is what is in it.
    That's an idea I hadn't thought about. Thanks. Started searching, and coming up empty so far...but, will continue looking. Of course, there's always the Seaking 120A & 90A (neither of which are 'officially' sold in the US, but still obtainable).

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/coll...g-pro-120a-esc

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oscarel View Post
    https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/coll...g-pro-120a-esc

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    Thanks...but, that's a different ESC. The Seaking 120A & Seaking Pro 120A look completely different. The Seaking 120A looks almost identical to the 30A, 60A, & 90A.

First, thank you to srislash for the HK120A suggestion. However, after realizing it's 'burst' testing is only 150A, I'm no longer looking for one. At the same time, I've also remembered/realized I need to first decide what the new motor will be.

The FTL Key Boat was originally released with a 1620kv motor, which is great for rubbing on 3-4S. However, of you look at what TFL is now pre-installing, you see it's a 2726kv motor, which tells me they now consider it to be a 2-3S. As I'll be setting it up for 4S-only, I need to decide which motor, and then I'll be basing my ESC decision off the power requirements of that motor.

Guess you can say, "case closed".

Ok but bear in mind that a jet is different than a prop. I’m honestly not sure of the amps on takeoff but I’m thinking a little less than a prop. However, the sustained amp draw is greater as there is no ‘relax’ time once the boat gets on plane like with a prop. A jet drive merely continues to suck that water up and squeeze that water out the given outlet oriface. Just food for thought

Ok but bear in mind that a jet is different than a prop. I?m honestly not sure of the amps on takeoff but I?m thinking a little less than a prop. However, the sustained amp draw is greater as there is no ?relax? time once the boat gets on plane like with a prop. A jet drive merely continues to suck that water up and squeeze that water out the given outlet oriface. Just food for thought
    Most of which I already know. I've had my current TFL Jet Boat since shortly after TFL released it. Of the first 3 units that Steve got in at OSE, the first went to him, and I bought the second. A big difference between the Jet Boat, and most RC boats, isn't just the prop vs impellor, but flex shaft vs solid shaft. The Jet Boat uses a short solid shaft, similar to the one used in the ProBoat Recoil 17. I do have, both, the 2-blade & 4-blade impellors, so I'll be able to see if there's any difference in performance.

On a separate note, I thought about installing the reverse kit, but I have a strong feeling that the square shape would probably cause problems with the flow of the water. Instead, I modified (like several others have done) the steering nozzle, making it longer...but, I took the redesign one step further, incorporating small "turn fins". I don't know if this will help, or hinder, performance/steering...but, hopefully, it (at least) "smooths it out". The stock design causes the Jet Boat to have the turning radius of a fly. Even though it's never flipped, a 24" boat shouldn't be able to "turn on a dime". Heck, I don't even like it when the Recoil 17 does that.

The reverse kit unit is a pig. I built a jet boat with one and then bought another unit just to change the nozzle so it would run properly. If they built it with a separate reverse bucket like full size it would be viable. But how much backwards do you need in a boat?
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
    I built a jet boat with one and then bought another unit just to change the nozzle so it would run properly.
    Trying to figure out why you would purchase an entire jet drive unit, when you could have just ordered the rectifier & steering nozzle, and saved yourself a boatload (pun very much intended) of money. Don't know the part numbers off the top of my head...but, I do know that every individual part can be ordered. Just as an example, I've ordered replacements of the solid shaft, impellors (2 & 4-blade), the Teflon washers that go in front & behind the impellor, and even the steering rod.

Trying to figure out why you would purchase an entire jet drive unit, when you could have just ordered the rectifier & steering nozzle, and saved yourself a boatload (pun very much intended) of money.
    So that I had still a complete jet drive unit to on sell, which is what I did.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
    So that I had still a complete jet drive unit to on sell, which is what I did.
    Yea, I get that one.

Interesting with the nozzle mods.

Interesting with the nozzle mods.
    I know. If it works, great...and, if not, have an unmodified backup. I've seen several mod theirs, but those have all just been extensions. The 'big' question will be the mini turn fins. I'll post a photo once I get back home (in 2 days).