Thread: OSE 150 / Flycolor 150A cooling modification

Default OSE 150 / Flycolor 150A cooling modification

Hi fellow boaters,

I made a cooling mod on the OSE 150 / Flycolor 150A esc, as the side cooling tubes hardly cool the esc.
    It comes with the benefit that the esc gets smaller as well.
    You can do the mod with basic tools (like I did). This video explains and shows the whole process:

https://youtu.be/eqbxvIuVNR0

The mod, itself, is fantastic. However, as most people don't have the equipment required to do this themselves, they (myself, included) have no choice but to go with what's already available to consumers.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Thanks Panther. This mod is done with basic tools, except maybe the drill press. I guess it works with a regular drill as well, with a steady hand.
    Other than that, a hand saw for metal, metal file and epoxy.
    The epoxy can be thickened with wood dust and though I made a thread for the insert, you could just use glue as well for closing the drill gap.

I guess it's a personal perspective on what is a sophisticated tool set as well. I would love to have a workbench CNC and a laser cutter for example . Happy boating

I'm prepping to build a small jet boat (jet drive was delivered yesterday), and I was planning on using the OSE Raider 150A...but, seeing how poor the cooling design is (not Steve's fault), looks like it's back to figuring out something else.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Thanks Dirk. I have modified numerous air and car esc's for marine use using some of the same techniques. It's always nice to see some new ideas. I learned a few things like tinting epoxy wit Tamiya paints and being able to us just plain thermal grease if you use epoxy in the way you did here. I thought that the way the epoxy sort of kept the grease contained was a great idea if you can't find thermal epoxy of what to save a few$$.

I have a Castle Mamba Monster X coming and I will do a similar modification to it. I am lucky and have a small lathe with a milling attachment that I want to try and copy a Stumpfab cooler.

My friend Larry Jaques modified his Castle MMX with a modified Stumpfab cooler and it works great in his Black Pearl sport hydro.

I have a Caslte Sidewinder 8 that I modified for marine use with an old Turnigy 180 cooler. I had to remove the fins first and I milled it flat on my mini mill.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Panther, these esc's are pretty solid and would work just fine in your jet boat. The main reason for my mod is to reduce the size, to fit it in the twin mono that I'm building. The cooling always looked odd to me and with this mod, I could address both.

Thanks Ray and your mods sound good too. I might look into a small lathe or workbench CNC.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Jan View Post
    Panther, these esc's are pretty solid and would work just fine in your jet boat. The main reason for my mod is to reduce the size, to fit it in the twin mono that I'm building. The cooling always looked odd to me and with this mod, I could address both.

Thanks Ray and your mods sound good too. I might look into a small lathe or workbench CNC.
    Of note, even the HW Seaking Pro 120A uses the exact same cooling design.