Thread: Safe, cheap, easy-to-get protective covers for 5.5mm bullets on batteries?

Default Safe, cheap, easy-to-get protective covers for 5.5mm bullets on batteries?

What are you guys using?

I just use shrink wrap. Typically most people have batteries wired red hot female. Female positive lead and male negative. If you use a few layers of heat shrink and overhang it about 1mm over the lip and cut the negative 1/2" shorter it's pretty much impossible for them to touch accidentally. You would have to try to plug them in and to end on purpose to ever have a problem.

2 or 3 layers works well for me.
    Nortavlag Bulc

I use neon yellow 6mm/8mm silicone tube, like water line but bigger.

I bought 2m of it many years ago for under ?7 and I will be surprised if it doesn't see me out.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

I use McMaster-Carr plastic caps. The 5/16 x 3/4 size still works on 8 mm connectors as well as smaller ones. See https://www.mcmaster.com/9753k17/

Lohring Miller

Thanks for the great tips, folks. I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    I use neon yellow 6mm/8mm silicone tube, like water line but bigger.
    Me too. I always have it kicking around. I lose them so bad I can just snip another off the length. Works well on 6mm connectors but is a little tight. Horrible on 8mm.

Another option is screw caps. I usually take a connector into the hardware store and sift through the different sizes until I find one that slips on nice. Another great option is surgical tubing. Cut a piece to length. Fits multiple sizes. With 5.5 you could probably slide it right up onto your shrink wrap.
    Noisy person

Rubber end caps used for the carbon rods on stunt kites can be bought in various sizes too

I ordered some 6mm ID/8mm OD silicone tubing in bright yellow. That ought to do the trick for me...

Thanks again,
    Bob

you can try pvc heat shrink sleeves.