Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: F1h2o

When you make a post there are 5 buttons on the top right of the post with pictures on the one with the painting of a tree in a frame uploads photos, and the one with a frame of film is for uploading from YouTube.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

That is looking real good! One thing about it being a bit heavy is it won?t blow over so east in a cross wind. I?ve seen a few Stilleto?s and they seemed to blow over easy.

And the picture and video can be put on the screen by touching the tabs on the upper right of this pictureIMG_2548.jpg

s-l1600.jpgs-l400.jpgF1h2o Italian job

Otherwise known as a " Dumas hotshot 45" . Been investigating its background and even managed to find some photos and you tube videos. Looks like it was a well thought of hull by American company Dumas. No modern electrics in those days so they were all glow engine powered. You could even buy it as a fiber glass hull, but mine is the wooden kit version. There must be a few still around and now I've seen it painted as per photos its not really an ugly duckling maybe that was a bit unkind.

20230918_170336.jpgF1h2o engine

Success, must have been a glitch in the slicer, not had that before. So the gearbox half cleaned up really well , all the support came off cleanly, helped by being build plate only support, I'm learning. The finish is so good I went straight into painting. Then I made some parts on the lathe, the vertical support for the bearings and the shaft. I found the shaft needed a chamfer to allow the oil seal to slide on, as it will be the last part fitted after filling with oil.

Rain forecast so might get some more done today.

20230919_120259.jpgF1h2o engine

Got a lot done due to bad weather, and more rain this morning, I like rain, more gets done in the workshop.
    That little 2 part jig I made for lining up the motor mounting plate got used again, it works a treat.
    For the cowl I added the air scoop to the drawing and tried to combine it, it wouldn't have it no matter what I tried. So I saved it anyway as an stl, then on cura sliced it, no problem, it should print OK.
    To produce this short version of my engine the motor mounting has been sunk 10mm into a shortened mid section, a total saving of 30mm.

F1h2o engine

Another day on the lathe, so now we have a horizontal shaft with thread for a 5mm nyloc nut. The dog drive was turned to suit some small errors in the shaft, then very carefully cut and file the dog tooth drive bit. Never built an engine this quickly before, there is a bit less to do with this design and I can see it being a little bit lighter which is great. I need to order a motor, msq 4082, from aliexpress I like the 6mm connection plugs on these, some well known brands only have 4mm, why when it's going to be handling high amps.20230920_172841.jpg20230920_171437.jpg
    Last edited by Returntohome; 10-24-2023 at 12:16 AM.

20230927_154507.jpg20230926_113134.jpg
    F1h2o engine

Just had a short break in the Lake District. Cartmel the first day, where we bought some of the famous sticky toffee puddings for which it is famous, the recipe was invented back in the thirtys by a local chef. Then next day after a full English breakfast we drove up the east side of Coniston Lake past Brantwood the home of John Ruskin, and on to the Bluebird cafe. Named after Donald Campbells jet powered boat in which he lost his life on 4th of January 1967. He was trying to get the record of 300mph , having done a successful run north to South where he went well past 300mph through the measured kilometre he turned round and without refueling, less weight, he set off back on the fateful run, not even allowing his own wake to settle. He was not happy with the boat as heard over the radio then it seems the engine flamed out , shortly after it flipped over backwards and did cartwheels before sinking. His body was not recovered until many years later. Next year we may go up to watch the speed trials at the end of October and get to see some F1 boats!
    Spent yesterday afternoon when we got back making bits for my F1 engine, see photos. I have realised that now the motor is lower water will collect inside, so may need a drainage hole somewhere.

20230929_114808.jpg20230929_122812.jpg

F1h2o engine

I have made the right angle copper connectors to be soldered to the esc. Because the engine is much shorter they too could be a lot shorter. I thought copper was going to be soft to drill, not so I broke 2 centering drills, you live and learn.
    The cleaver type prop arrived from prop shop and fitted perfectly, interesting to see how it performs.
    I added a 5mm drain hole in the side of the mid section, I didn't want the coupling running in water.
    The msq motor motor arrived yesterday, not taken long at all, so nothing stopping me now.

Man that O/B is looking fabulous. You’ve got something there

20231003_145403.jpg20231003_145324.jpg20231003_145240.jpg20231003_145210.jpg
    Thank you
    F1h2o engine

All ready to test tomorrow weather permitting. All went well today although using black sealant on a white engine is maybe not a good idea. ��

It looks fantastic, good luck.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

F1h2o Italian job

Disaster yesterday, I was charging round the lake when suddenly I lost most of the drive, and it didn't sound great. So I limped back in and had to wait till I got in the workshop to find the fault. Took the motor out to find the rubber cross in the coupling had completely disintegrated, but that wasn't the cause.
    I split open the gearbox to find one gear had a loose grubscrew I have used the wrong loctite, silly mistake has cost me dear.
    For the coupling I can elongate the holes in the motor mounting plate to allow it to line up better, its only a fraction.
    I am upset because this gearbox was completely oil tight, I won't make this mistake again.
    Our club chairman is taking my stand with 3 outboards on to Blackpool show this weekend, great cos I'm not going this year.
    Ps. The good news is the water cooling works perfectly now that I have sawn 5mm off the pick up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well, rest assured that you are not the only one that has been bitten by the gremlins. It is a learning curve especially on experimental things. But it sounds like the fix is well in hand.

Shawn

F1h2o Italian job

https://youtu.be/TI8mAIbQlnw?si=2b8snVUZgw2OTX8k
    Finally got the engine rebuilt and refitted to the F1. So if this bad storm subsides by tomorrow I can have a run.
    Our club chairman took my engine stand to Blackpool show last weekend, it attracted lots of attention. People were asking what company makes these, when he said they are 3d printed by one of our members, there was disbelief.392861336_10160195863049102_79803362647464757_n.jpg

20231022_095516.jpg20231022_160805.jpg
    F1h2o Italian job

The gremlins struck again, this time the gear moved enough to disengage, then when stripping down i broke the casing. Well on the way now in making a new gearbox casing, with 1mm alteration to the lip that holds the vertical shaft, to make sure the gears are meshing. Then I machined the support tube to take a newly made cap, designed to stop any movement of the oilseal which in turn would let the bearings move and so disengage the gears, which is what I think happened. My other engines don't have this problem because of a removable top bearing holder, to allow oil filling and emptying. Because I used strong loctite last time I can't get the gear off, so that means I can't get the top bearing out for oil filling so thinking of packing it with grease before sealing the two halves together, will it work?

That’s a shame. Loctite always comes loose with heat. Perhaps a solder iron would localize the heat enough to release it. How strong of Loctite? Red, green?

F1h2o engine

Thanks Shawn i will try that next time, (I used red loctite) I left it and used horizons hobby marine grease, put plenty in around the gears. Then clamped the two halves together with Rtv sealant, so far seems OK. The gearboxes get quite warm to the touch when out on the lake even when the water is cold so I guess the grease will thin down when it's warm. Final coat of paint last night so will assemble it today ready to try tomorrow. The new coupling faired better than the last one due to being lined up better I guess.

F1h2o Italian job

It worked! Had a great morning running her up and down the lake. With some full throttle runs she looks the part , nose in the air, tons of spray flying off the back. I thought it might be noisy with grease instead of oil, but not at all sounds just the same. Time will tell if the top bearing in the vertical tube gets lubrication. Shame Paul didn't have his camera, maybe next time.
    I found the cap head screws holding the battery bay a bit awkward, so I have used the thumb screws I bought originally, much better don't need a driver now either, see photo.
    Even reduced water getting into the boat to an acceptable level, using sealant on the rear section.
    The extra cooling provided by the air scoop on top of the cowl is working a treat, the wires and motor staying nice and cool.
    I don't get long on a 5000mah battery, so been looking at something bigger , I guess 6000 wouldn't make much difference, but 10,000 might. Any ideas welcome.20231025_132103.jpg

Glad it went well. Always good feeling when it comes together. As far as batteries go, I always find ones in the 4000mah range have a good fit and are cost effective. HobbyKing graphene are good when in stock

That is looking great, nice spot to run too

https://youtu.be/_1iupYqD9O4?si=Tm17O6gVNKfWhFd_
    We walked round the lake to film with the sun behind us, then the swans thought we were there to feed them.

Record breaking F1h2o

With my best 2 3s batteries on board I had the lake to myself as it was very cold. I could tell she was motoring so thought I might have a record. Yes 40mph dead on , that was my target.
    So now to fit my new 6s battery with its as150 plugs, 75c so would it be able to provide enough current, YES , couldn't believe it when I removed the battery bay cover the gps read 42.2 mph. So twice in one day I broke the record, just shows getting everything tight did the trick.
    I now have my new Bluetooth watt meter to fit so I can get some readings, with those I may be able to go up a size on the prop, but if not I will be happy with running at 42mph.20231220_110126.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Returntohome View Post
    Record breaking F1h2o

With my best 2 3s batteries on board I had the lake to myself as it was very cold. I could tell she was motoring so thought I might have a record. Yes 40mph dead on , that was my target.
    So now to fit my new 6s battery with its as150 plugs, 75c so would it be able to provide enough current, YES , couldn't believe it when I removed the battery bay cover the gps read 42.2 mph. So twice in one day I broke the record, just shows getting everything tight did the trick.
    I now have my new Bluetooth watt meter to fit so I can get some readings, with those I may be able to go up a size on the prop, but if not I will be happy with running at 42mph.20231220_110126.jpg
    You are getting a right respectable clip going there. Congrats on the tuning success

I tried another engine on the F1 having noticed some cracks in the midsection, however read on. 20240222_142541.jpg20240222_155122.jpgThe F1 being so fast soon shows up any weakness, this happened with the replacement engine. All the force is on the bearing behind the gear, it pushed the bearing out of its ally housing. I was able to get back at very low speed. So I split the gearbox, no oil, it had all leaked out. I turned a new housing for the bearing from solid bar , so bearing can't move. The gears still look new so I reassembled, heating the housing and using it to melt the plastic, quench in cold water, created the perfect fit. Plenty of grease added this time as a change from oil.
    It's not going back on the F1, I've gone back to the original engine but made a new stronger mid section. I used a new coupling called Kande, looks much stronger and it's bigger , so I was able to add 7mm to the mid section. I will run the F1 like this for a while, then it will also get a modified gearbox.

https://youtu.be/ivUwpRj5nTk?si=g_OPd2Yr42D2oP_O
    She still flies and has great presence on the water.

Such a nice spot to run there. She is looking good. Still a bit of spray off the drive?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12