Thread: SSS 3656 motor wires

Default SSS 3656 motor wires

So, got this new SS 3656 and seaking 180 ESC to put in my sport hydro. Just having a good time putting everything together and cleaning up some of the wiring that was too long. Shortened battery wires and put new 5.5mm bullet connectors on. Everything is going fine till I hit the motor wires that I shortened/cut. I noticed that the motor wires are stranded copper wires with what looks to be kind of a dark coating. Ok, no big deal, I'll just clean them up and get a better/hotter iron.. uh oh, solder is just rollings off like marbles.. adjusted heat, re tinned iron, using 60/40 rosin.. worked very easy with everything else. But not this crap.. any help here would be much appreciated.

it's an absolute pain but if you use sandpaper to remove all the grim to to the bare metal and use aceton to clean then it will work to solder the bullets

Quote Originally Posted by Slotrc View Post
    So, got this new SS 3656 and seaking 180 ESC to put in my sport hydro. Just having a good time putting everything together and cleaning up some of the wiring that was too long. Shortened battery wires and put new 5.5mm bullet connectors on. Everything is going fine till I hit the motor wires that I shortened/cut. I noticed that the motor wires are stranded copper wires with what looks to be kind of a dark coating. Ok, no big deal, I'll just clean them up and get a better/hotter iron.. uh oh, solder is just rollings off like marbles.. adjusted heat, re tinned iron, using 60/40 rosin.. worked very easy with everything else. But not this crap.. any help here would be much appreciated.
    yeah motor wires are coated in enamel. you have to scrape that off with a razor blade or whatever.

When I have to cut motor wires down, this is the process I use. I strip away the outer insulation and fan out the individual strands, then take them to a wire wheel on my bench grinder. I hit both sides of the fan shape to remove the coating, recompress all of the strands, then fan them out in a perpendicular fan best I can and hit the wire brush again. Once everything is looking shiny, I twist up the strands, fold them over in half to double the wire gauge thickness, tin, and then solder into the bullet. I've tried chemical methods to strip the coating with limited success.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    When I have to cut motor wires down, this is the process I use. I strip away the outer insulation and fan out the individual strands, then take them to a wire wheel on my bench grinder. I hit both sides of the fan shape to remove the coating, recompress all of the strands, then fan them out in a perpendicular fan best I can and hit the wire brush again. Once everything is looking shiny, I twist up the strands, fold them over in half to double the wire gauge thickness, tin, and then solder into the bullet. I've tried chemical methods to strip the coating with limited success.
    Great info!! Thank you!

Usually the SSS brand uses the lower temp (150C*) enamel on their motor wire. I just keep the solder iron hot and get a puddle on the wire and keep it there for a couple of minutes and the enamel will go up in smoke. And the solder will stick.

The 200C* coated wire, like I use for rewinding, is a different story and wont come off with any soldering iron I have tried.
    AmpDaddy
    don huff

Quote Originally Posted by donhuff View Post
    Usually the SSS brand uses the lower temp (150C*) enamel on their motor wire. I just keep the solder iron hot and get a puddle on the wire and keep it there for a couple of minutes and the enamel will go up in smoke. And the solder will stick.

The 200C* coated wire, like I use for rewinding, is a different story and wont come off with any soldering iron I have tried.
    Thank you Don, I finally got it to work but ended up having to splay the wires and painstakingly used sandpaper on a flat board to remove the coating. turning, re splaying and sanding repeatedly. im guessing the coating wasnt the lower temp stuff. after years of racing slotcars you get pretty handy with an iron but this had me stumped.

what a mess.